Jump to content Jump to content

Mercedes W12 in iRacing vs F1 2021

I'm actually surprised at how similar they handle, in fact, the F1 2021 W12 has a bit more oversteer and you need to be very careful on exit with the throttle. Testing however exposed a really annoying problem with F1 2021 and I'm not talking about the car handling alone! its the KERBS... If you try the W12 at Spa you'll notice how UNREALISTIC and DEADLY those kerbs are in F1 2021 compared to iRacing. 

I believe this was mentioned at release but nobody cared, the KERBS in F1 2021 suck and are unrealistically slippery. Please, FIX THIS!!!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

how UNREALISTIC and DEADLY those kerbs are in F1 2021

Not all are deadly. Some "kerbs" are just track. That's the problem if you don't do laser scanning. Or if you don't care about old tracks. Portimao and Imola are two of the best tracks in the roster. But even those two tracks are a little different from IRL F1 onboards. 

• Like 1
On 12/26/2021 at 12:27 AM, Bojote said:

I'm actually surprised at how similar they handle, in fact, the F1 2021 W12 has a bit more oversteer and you need to be very careful on exit with the throttle. Testing however exposed a really annoying problem with F1 2021 and I'm not talking about the car handling alone! its the KERBS... If you try the W12 at Spa you'll notice how UNREALISTIC and DEADLY those kerbs are in F1 2021 compared to iRacing. 

I believe this was mentioned at release but nobody cared, the KERBS in F1 2021 suck and are unrealistically slippery. Please, FIX THIS!!!

Similar?

compared to the f1 game the iracing w12 is like another planet. Same for rss formula hybrid. These 2 handles pretty similar. To be honest the Game is far away from that. In the Games Cars are sooooooo understeery…. The cars are much more reactive and much more glued to the track. And u don’t have to await some strange behaviours in these cars

and Not to forget the brake behaviour. In I Racing u have to use the brake much more carefully then in the game in the game u just slam the brakes… all this without that super strange understeering when u brake in the game which makes no sense

Sorry but can’t confirm your experience there…. Sadly that it is like this but the game doesn’t really simulate. It’s more like it’s emulate

Oh and as u said already in the game the tracks and kerbs are not that good

Edited by Exodium
  • Agree 4
On 12/27/2021 at 4:58 PM, Pin6all_Wizard said:

>in the game u just slam the brakes...

Turn off ABS??

yeah you do tbh even with abs off, try using 100% brake pressure and 50% brake bias in iracing and you'll just spin, you can lock up the fronts in f1 2021 a little but tbh since the handling change its impossible to lock the rears up and spin under braking  

the f1 games is easier in braking similar in some handling traits like getting on throttle, corner entry f1 2021 is eager to turn in then mid corner and corner exit the car just understeers and as mentioned you can use the kerbs on iracing where as teh devs decided to make the kerbs harder than they should be cos they wanted risk vs reward"    

• Like 2

TLDR: W12 iRacing >>> W12 Codemasters' F1 2021

I let my girlfriend, who has no experience in racing games or simulators (but has driven many different types of Karts), have a go in both iRacing and later Codemasters' F1 2021 with the W12 selected:

She straight up told me that iRacing's version of the W12 was much easier to drive than the one in Codemasters' F1 2021, and that only the braking was a bit more tricky in iRacing, but the car had more grip, more downforce, was more intuitive to drive and she instantly felt connected to both the car and the track.

Meanwhile in Codemasters' F1 2021, she was spinning all the time, missing the braking points, and could not feel the car nor the track.

I too have made similar experiences, and have to say that Codemasters' F1 2021 is indeed "harder to drive" as you are not connected with either the car nor the track, so you can not drive intuitively and therefore have no direct feeling as to what is happening whilst driving.

I find it quite interesting to see that the officially modelled W12 of iRacing (official partnership and cooperation with the real Mercedes F1 team to create the car model in iRacing itself) is sooo much easier to drive than a game that is supposedly marketed for a "casual" target audience (F1 2021 by Codemasters).

How come that the officially licenced F1 2021 by Codemasters' is marketed for a "casual" target audience, if the cars are more difficult to drive than the official rendition in iRacing?

It makes no sense...

Edited by SturmDesTodes
Spelling Error
  • Agree 1
1 hour ago, SturmDesTodes said:

How come that the officially licenced F1 2021 by Codemasters' is marketed for a "casual" target audience, if the cars are more difficult to drive than the official rendition in iRacing?

Thats fairly simple to answer: Because fans cried non stop about how unrealistic easy the cars would be to drive, especially on the kerbs and Codemasters listened to them.. Huge mistake lol but thats listening to fans for you, each one wants different things and as a developer you can NEVER make it fit everybodies expectations

• Like 5
23 minutes ago, Meza994 said:

Thats fairly simple to answer: Because fans cried non stop about how unrealistic easy the cars would be to drive, especially on the kerbs and Codemasters listened to them.. Huge mistake lol but thats listening to fans for you, each one wants different things and as a developer you can NEVER make it fit everybodies expectations

You are very likely absolutely right; but if so - People, that wanted these unrealistic changes to the handling and physics model, may not understand that:

More difficult ≠ More realistic

PS: If people were really concerned about Kerbs and Tracklimits, then maybe Codemasters should have rather tried to implement a more functional Tracklimits system instead of making the Kerbs become rocket launch pads (at the moment some FLAT or LOW Kerbs, that real life F1 drivers ride over with ease, launch you into space in F1 2021 the game...).

• Agree 2
36 minutes ago, SturmDesTodes said:

You are very likely absolutely right; but if so - People, that wanted these unrealistic changes to the handling and physics model, may not understand that:

More difficult ≠ More realistic

PS: If people were really concerned about Kerbs and Tracklimits, then maybe Codemasters should have rather tried to implement a more functional Tracklimits system instead of making the Kerbs become rocket launch pads (at the moment some FLAT or LOW Kerbs, that real life F1 drivers ride over with ease, launch you into space in F1 2021 the game...).

Yup, i think people just didnt have the knowledge how it was in real F1 and only thought that the game was too easy, too arcady.. iRacing showed how easy they actually are and also how easy they can ride some kerbs! Some kerbs are fine this year in the F1 game but badly visualised like in Monza, they can launch you IRL but you see them poking out of the ground IRL, not in the game.. Hopefully Codemasters will take some notes from the iRacing Mercedes to see whats the way to go for the next game, Bottas said the cars dont feel tooooo different from 2021 so i think the W12 in iRacing is still a good reference of the overall grip behaviour/difficulty to drive.

• Agree 2
8 hours ago, SturmDesTodes said:

The game is designed to appeal to a wide spectrum of players rather than just 'casual' players, by means of the many in-game options that affect complexity/difficulty.

13 hours ago, SturmDesTodes said:

TLDR: W12 iRacing >>> W12 Codemasters' F1 2021

I let my girlfriend, who has no experience in racing games or simulators (but has driven many different types of Karts), have a go in both iRacing and later Codemasters' F1 2021 with the W12 selected:

She straight up told me that iRacing's version of the W12 was much easier to drive than the one in Codemasters' F1 2021, and that only the braking was a bit more tricky in iRacing, but the car had more grip, more downforce, was more intuitive to drive and she instantly felt connected to both the car and the track.

Meanwhile in Codemasters' F1 2021, she was spinning all the time, missing the braking points, and could not feel the car nor the track.

I too have made similar experiences, and have to say that Codemasters' F1 2021 is indeed "harder to drive" as you are not connected with either the car nor the track, so you can not drive intuitively and therefore have no direct feeling as to what is happening whilst driving.

I find it quite interesting to see that the officially modelled W12 of iRacing (official partnership and cooperation with the real Mercedes F1 team to create the car model in iRacing itself) is sooo much easier to drive than a game that is supposedly marketed for a "casual" target audience (F1 2021 by Codemasters).

It makes no sense...

In code masters F1 games one set up means the car is impossible or poor to drive but if you make a different set up for the car then it drives well ...... I mean All setups, FFB and wheel set up or pad setup as well as actual race set up of wing , suspension etc , they can all change the way the car behaves in many ways from very poor feed back to the player to superb feed back to the player . In my experience default settings with my wheels  are absolutely useless in all years of the game ,  after hours of trying many set ups then  braking feedback and handling feedback can be made  very good , invest more time in testing different settings and perhaps you may find the Code masters game to not be as bad as you currently find it to be.  .......if you already tried a 100 different settings try 500 more 

i have played all the codies f1 games since 2010 and use zero assists and honestly the iracing version of the merc is a lot easier to drive and get 95% of the potential out of it. you could spend a day just driving each one to get used to how each of the 2 games drives and still come to the same conclusion using the base setups (i know that they are different and the iracing version has a lot more setup options but this is the short comings of a game which is aimed at the more casual user). 

for what ever reason codemasters artificially made their game harder to drive except for braking which you can use 100% pressure & 50% BB and just not lock up or spin the car due to locking the rear axle under braking, the kerbs have been purposefully made to be less grippy with barry even saying the devs wanted them to be a risk v reward thing this year and when getting on the power there just no grip under traction from the tyres unless your in say 3rd or 4th gear unless you short shift this is their in the wet but exagerated you can be in 5th gear and get wheelspin where irl it isnt even a issue in most circumstances & the cars are very responsive on intial turn in but once you get to mid corner they just understeer like mad.

iraicng in comparison the w12 is harder to get perfect braking but does allow you to use more realistic brake bias, use 50% brake bias and you'll lock the rear and spin, kerbs can be attacked and be used like what you see IRL without spinning and getting on the power out of corners you can really feel the grip and can use 2nd gear full throttle with little effort, initial corner response has a bit more understeer but mid to corner exit has a more neutral attitude. 

of course you can adjust setups to get the car to drive how you want but in the end the iracing version is always gonna be the easier of the 2 to drive.

this year will be interesting to compare and see how the f1 2022 drives in game compared to iracing as they will get the 2022 merc w13 and honestly if things dont improve especially with codemasters online side of the game i can honestly see FOM doing what nascar has done and thats have codemasters make the official video game and then use a proper sim such as iracing to be the official driving simulator and where the official epsorts series is held, no matter what codemasters cant have their game be both a game & a sim at the same time 

On ‎1‎/‎1‎/‎2022 at 1:11 PM, cearp8858 said:

i have played all the codies f1 games since 2010 and use zero assists and honestly the iracing version of the merc is a lot easier to drive and get 95% of the potential out of it. you could spend a day just driving each one to get used to how each of the 2 games drives and still come to the same conclusion using the base setups (i know that they are different and the iracing version has a lot more setup options but this is the short comings of a game which is aimed at the more casual user). 

for what ever reason codemasters artificially made their game harder to drive except for braking which you can use 100% pressure & 50% BB and just not lock up or spin the car due to locking the rear axle under braking, the kerbs have been purposefully made to be less grippy with barry even saying the devs wanted them to be a risk v reward thing this year and when getting on the power there just no grip under traction from the tyres unless your in say 3rd or 4th gear unless you short shift this is their in the wet but exagerated you can be in 5th gear and get wheelspin where irl it isnt even a issue in most circumstances & the cars are very responsive on intial turn in but once you get to mid corner they just understeer like mad.

iraicng in comparison the w12 is harder to get perfect braking but does allow you to use more realistic brake bias, use 50% brake bias and you'll lock the rear and spin, kerbs can be attacked and be used like what you see IRL without spinning and getting on the power out of corners you can really feel the grip and can use 2nd gear full throttle with little effort, initial corner response has a bit more understeer but mid to corner exit has a more neutral attitude. 

of course you can adjust setups to get the car to drive how you want but in the end the iracing version is always gonna be the easier of the 2 to drive.

this year will be interesting to compare and see how the f1 2022 drives in game compared to iracing as they will get the 2022 merc w13 and honestly if things dont improve especially with codemasters online side of the game i can honestly see FOM doing what nascar has done and thats have codemasters make the official video game and then use a proper sim such as iracing to be the official driving simulator and where the official epsorts series is held, no matter what codemasters cant have their game be both a game & a sim at the same time 

Totally agree with you regarding your points , I was just trying to be positive about the code masters version as its had a serious slagging on here just lately and as there are 1000's of different versions of its handling model based on how you set it up and what you use to drive with , there are so many variations  its difficult to compare it. With the spinny kerbs and other odd traits it has that keep non serious players happy its not surprising that other available more sim based racers have a more realistic driving model . They should get the team that made GRID to do the F1 game and it would be more realistic than the present offering in both driving and graphically , or the Dirt Rally first version team.

Happy racing , Best Wishes E.

Really happy someone brought this up. This needs to be discussed more. The iRacing handling model for the car feels so good and satisfying, how an F1 car should feel and I feel like amateurs would find it easier to pick up in comparison to F1 2021. 

It’s positive that iRacing released this because I’d hope it’ll give something codies to inspire to be like. 

Bear in mind this is probably the first time in history that not only did an F1 Team help develop a car in a racing game or sim, but also influenced actual changes in the phsyics of the game/sim itself:

Work on bringing the Mercedes-AMG Petronas F1 Team vehicles to iRacing has been an extended process. As part of the development work, the team performed extensive testing within iRacing and provided feedback and data to improve iRacing’s overall open-wheel physics model. Many of these adjustments to the physics model have already been deployed to the iRacing user base.

https://www.iracing.com/iracing-partners-with-mercedes-amg-petronas-f1-team-to-build-multiple-world-class-racing-vehicles/

Nothing compares, because there's just nothing to compare it to.

This really looks like an F1 Teams private testing model that they decided to make public. 

It does however give everyone else a benchmark to work from, so hopefully improvements will be made in all platforms.

• Like 1
On 12/26/2021 at 12:27 AM, Bojote said:

Damn, one of the best joke in simracing  i ever heard 😄 thanks man