Anime & Manga Thread Vol. 1

So, I found Crunchyroll on Xbox. I am now happy, finally able to watch Fairy Tail from episode 212 onwards, although it's subbed instead. Don't feel like waiting for it to be released as dubbed so I'll just rewatch the whole lot when it's all out in English. And going to get round to watching the OVA's for it that are rather handily on Youtube. Also found that Nobuna one I was looking for on there...amongst many others that look quite fun to watch. Why wasn't I aware of this app before :lol: 

dwkGravey said:
Initial D Creator: If I Do a Sequel, It Will Be About Rally Racing
"When Initial D was starting, I considered highway racing and rally racing," Shigeno said. "From here on I'd like to continue drawing manga, and if I do an Initial D 2, I'd like to make it about rally racing." 
I haven't watched a lot of Initial D, but it's way better than Goddamn. Bring on Initial Dirt!

For those who don't like subs... Nozaki-kun is apparently getting English dubs at the end of March.

http://www.fandompost.com/2016/02/22/juliet-simmons-boards-monthly-girls-nozaki-kun-as-chiyo-sakura/ 

Don't be fooled by the title, this isn't your regular Shoujo anime. It's one of the best I've seen. Definitely recommend.

789ifyz said:
For those who don't like subs... Nozaki-kun is apparently getting English dubs at the end of March.

http://www.fandompost.com/2016/02/22/juliet-simmons-boards-monthly-girls-nozaki-kun-as-chiyo-sakura/ 

Don't be fooled by the title, this isn't your regular Shoujo anime. It's one of the best I've seen. Definitely recommend.
Tried watching the subbed version, just couldn't get into it. I'm very hit or miss when it comes to subs and my current mood/interest.

SynGamer said:
789ifyz said:

Tried watching the subbed version, just couldn't get into it. I'm very hit or miss when it comes to subs and my current mood/interest.
I personally stick to subs for shows with mostly Japanese and/or Asian characters (so most anime and many Japanese games) and dubs for shows with mostly Western and/or English sounding characters (e.g. Attack on Titan, Final Fantasy, Fullmetal Alchemist...), provided it isn't horrendously done. Mostly because mispronunciations really tick me off, especially when it comes to names, so I stick to the language most likely to pronounce most stuff right for the location they're based in.

That, and it makes more sense for Japanese to be spoken in Japan/by Japanese and English to be spoken in the West/by Westerners. The only exceptions are the classics, which I tend to watch dubbed unless there is no dubbing available. 

In other news, it seems that the animation studio behind the Naruto Fillerpuden anime is getting tired of animating the episodes for this never ending series. The art and animation in the recent Infinite Filleryomi episodes have been really bad. Still, the show's still a Cash Cow they'll probably continue milking long after it's dead (ended).

Also, after reading a synopsis on MAL and some Wikipedia stuff, I decided to try Revolutionary Girl Utena. It's apparently serious, unlike Nozaki-kun, but it does sound like this show also deconstructs shoujo genre tropes and is an interesting genre defying series. Hopefully it doesn't disappoint.

Episode 65 of Sonic X and we finally get a decent Chaotix team plot and good romance story. Tails and Cosmo are so cute!  o:)

fIsince08 said:
Episode 65 of Sonic X and we finally get a decent Chaotix team plot and good romance story. Tails and Cosmo are so cute!  o:)
I swear Cosmo doesn't come in until like the 3rd Arc in Sonic's world, sometime after the SA2 story, over 100 episodes into the show or something? Then again, it has been nearly a decade since I watched it, before I knew of the term 'Anime'.

Speaking of the 'anime', Japs voted for their favourite foreign anime and at the top of the list was 'Tom and Jerry', followed by 'The Powerpuff Girls'. I can't remember the rest of it and I've lost the link.... most of it was Western Cartoons, though.

EDIT: Found the link: http://sgcafe.com/2016/02/japanese-anime-fans-choose-their-top-20-most-recommended-foreign-anime/2/ 

789ifyz said:
fIsince08 said:
I swear Cosmo doesn't come in until like the 3rd Arc in Sonic's world, sometime after the SA2 story, over 100 episodes into the show or something? Then again, it has been nearly a decade since I watched it, before I knew of the term 'Anime'.
There are only 78 episodes in total so hardly :p. She comes in early in S3 as it's all one big plotline.

fIsince08 said:
789ifyz said:
fIsince08 said:
There are only 78 episodes in total so hardly :p. She comes in early in S3 as it's all one big plotline.
Haha! Guess I just remembered wrong. As a child it felt like along series and now 'long series' basically means 100+ episodes to me, so... whoops.

Sonic X is starting to take a dark turn. In episode 67, we see the only cannon appearence of Dark Sonic in the entire franchise after he is affected by the fake chaos emeralds and gets annoyed by the Metarex. Essentially, Sonic goes Hulk mode!

Episode 68 is dark in the Japanese version as there is a suicide (edited out in the English dub) that leads to Shadow getting depressed.

Whilst episode 69 is a romance story (ironic considering the number ;)) it foreshadows theath of a main character...

Currently watching Golden Time. I'm about half way through and really enjoying the character dynamics. I'm still on the fence about how I feel regarding certain characters and the direction the story is heading, but it's entertaining so far.

On a side note, I'm wasn't sure how I felt about the art style at first but it's growing on me. It looks like they were going for a loose, whimsical styl and so far it's working.

Not anime related but a new season of Ultimate Spiderman started recently if anyone's interested. Ultimate Spiderman vs the Sinister Six.

KonoSuba > All. Kazuma best MC ever. Toss up between him and Arata (Trinity Seven) For biggest Lackadaisical Badass. 

Odemdemz said:
KonoSuba > All. Kazuma best MC ever. Toss up between him and Arata (Trinity Seven) For biggest Lackadaisical Badass. 
I fully endorse this.

Megumin is also amazing.

By the way, I've just been made aware that they're doing an original Sword Art Online movie. Despite its poor arcs, I'm a big SAO fan overall. Consider me excite ^^

I think the first SAO arc was actually pretty decent. Went downhill after that, though. Haven't watched SAO II.

Utena had some interesting bits, but it was buried under a lot of what I'm assuming is generic shoujo stuff. It was also really repetitive. Sort of like Power Rangers - it has an overarching story, occasionally gets interesting, but overall the repetitive formula makes it really boring. I only got a little over 10 episodes into the series before stopping.

Also finished both seasons of Tokyo Ghoul. Decent, but not great. Still, pretty good overall. I heard it deviated from the canon - the second season a lot more so than the first - so I decided to read the Manga and so far it's much better than the anime. If there's a reboot (I've heard there might be this year) then I'll probably watch that, too.

Currently just finishing off my last piece of coursework for this year.

In one of the episodes for Ultimate Spiderman, one of the hero characters seems like he forgot it was cartoon and not anime (possibly due to the art style) and decided to try one of those long heroic monologues. Naturally, he kept getting interrupted, but it was fun to watch him and his evil counterpart keep trying to monologue their way through the battle.

Gintama used to make fun of that trope, too, but recently it's just gone all serious. I think it might be ending soon.

789ifyz said:
I think the first SAO arc was actually pretty decent. Went downhill after that, though. Haven't watched SAO II.

Agreed, I love the first SAO arc but wasn't keen on the Alfheim stuff. SAOII is the other way around - I'm really not keen on the first arc but then it gets really good again.

Britpoint said:
Odemdemz said:
I fully endorse this.

Megumin is also amazing.

By the way, I've just been made aware that they're doing an original Sword Art Online movie. Despite its poor arcs, I'm a big SAO fan overall. Consider me excite ^^

I can't bring myself to fully hate SAO. It was one of my first Anime and I've read and enjoyed the Light Novels. 

I. am. Hype.

Anime ad to attract workers to McDonald's.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=75&v=5e-zAljAgqs

There are no subtitles, though.

Recently started watching Kimi to Boku (You and I) and so far I'm enjoying it. It's a pretty decent comedy.

One thing I find really strange, though, is how the main cast don't seem to really "know" each other even though they've apparently been together for years. Some character among them will notice something about another as though they've recently become friends and are still getting to know one another...

Another thing is how the flashbacks work: after someone notices a trait, they'll ask/react in some way and then the character whose trait was noticed or another in the group will explain how it's "always been like that..." o/e and then, partway through the flashback, the character who noticed it will interrupt saying something like, "Oh, yeah... I remember that," since they've actually known one another for a long time.

Those 2 things really bug me, but I'm still enjoying the show overall. In fact, I think I might even recommend it, but I'll decide for certain once I've watched it fully.