Sign in to follow this  

Anime & Manga Thread Vol. 1

789ifyz said:
@SynGamer You probably know this already, but in case you missed it, and to inform anyone else who didn't know but may be interested, there's a new season of GinTama that started airing back in April.
I have to admit, I've only seen a handful of Gintama episodes! Funny show, but not something I've sought out. I think it's primarily because there are just *soooooooo many* episodes. It's the same reason I haven't watched Bleach or Naruto, or One Piece, or etc, etc. I may eventually get to Gintama and the others, but I'm really liking the shorter 12, 13, and 26 episode series.

Next on my list is Michiko & Hatchin. I'm also still trying to find something similar to Log Horizon, but with more action and less political intrigue. And I think it's about time I watch Helsing Ultimate again :smiley:

SynGamer said:
789ifyz said:
@SynGamer You probably know this already, but in case you missed it, and to inform anyone else who didn't know but may be interested, there's a new season of GinTama that started airing back in April.
I have to admit, I've only seen a handful of Gintama episodes! Funny show, but not something I've sought out. I think it's primarily because there are just *soooooooo many* episodes. It's the same reason I haven't watched Bleach or Naruto, or One Piece, or etc, etc. I may eventually get to Gintama and the others, but I'm really liking the shorter 12, 13, and 26 episode series.

Next on my list is Michiko & Hatchin. I'm also still trying to find something similar to Log Horizon, but with more action and less political intrigue. And I think it's about time I watch Helsing Ultimate again :smiley:
You could probably watch GinTama in short bursts without much trouble as most the episodes are standalone episodes and the "Arcs" are always only a few episodes each... once you get past the first 20-30 eps, it relly starts getting epic.
Hopefully you get round to it soon since otherwise you'd missing out on a lot.

Recenlty started watching Monster. 74 episodes long. I'd definitely recommend it. I started watching it in dubbed looking for accents, since it's based in Germany, but it seems everyone living in the country at the time it's based in was American.... There should at least have been 1 or 2 German accents IMO, but oh well.

The voicing in the dubs isn't bad though. Still watchable.

Also, has anyone seen SKET Dance? What's that show like?

789ifyz said:
Recenlty started watching Monster. 74 episodes long. I'd definitely recommend it. I started watching it in dubbed looking for accents, since it's based in Germany, but it seems everyone living in the country at the time it's based in was American.... There should at least have been 1 or 2 German accents IMO, but oh well.

The voicing in the dubs isn't bad though. Still watchable.

Also, has anyone seen SKET Dance? What's that show like?
74 episodes is such a commitment that a show has to be genre-defining for me to watch it. I still haven't even watched FMA because of the high number of episodes, and that is genre-defining. Basically, godspeed, good sir. 

Never seen it but I'm watching Gakkou Gurashi! this season and it's not your standard moe-girls-do-moe-things show. It's shocked me, I'm totally hooked. 

"I can't believe how easy it is to get away with this $#!+ with you people! I want to transform, you sit there and you let me; I want to kill your friends, you sit there and you let me; I want to reach full power and you just sit right there and let me!" ~Frieza to Super Saiyan Goku (AKA Super Yasain Gachu) during their fight.

I'm just gonna post a little update here since I have nothing better to do with my time...

Recently finished; Oregairu Zoku, Fate/Stay Night,

Currently Watching:
Baby Steps (Season 2, Ongoing)
Downton Abbey (not anime)
Fate/Zero
GinTama (2015, ongoing)
Monster
Non Non Biyori
Psych (TV Only, not anime)
Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso
SKET Dance

Comments:
While watching Non Non Biyori I think I've come to realise why it is that I enjoy the shorter, plotless series like that one. I think I find them to be relaxing and also a nice change of pace from the Shounen I generally watch. And the ones that don't quite fit into their own genres or proceed to tear their genres apart are also among the types that I really like.

Also, I joined my brother while he was watching Dragonball Super and I found that there seems to be much less fighting and the fighting itself is more fighting and less standing around flexing, gasping and/or screaming at the top of one's lungs than previous dragonball series. It's almost enjoyable!

Almost...

Does anyone have recommendations for Autumn? And what were people's selection for best anime of the Summer? Just wondering.

I'm going to check out Michiko & Hatchin tomorrow during my morning commute. Heard good things (similar to Cowboy Bebop...to a certain extent). It just haven't been able to find an anime lately that captures my interest fully.

I also find myself drifting away from 20+ episode series. I've really been enjoying 12 and 13 episode series. Quick to watch and to the point (usually).

789ifyz said:
Does anyone have recommendations for Autumn? And what were people's selection for best anime of the Summer? Just wondering.
I really have enjoyed Gakkou Gurashi! this summer, and I think everyone's excited for One Punch Man this fall.... 

Anths95 said:
789ifyz said:
I really have enjoyed Gakkou Gurashi! this summer, and I think everyone's excited for One Punch Man this fall.... 
I'm really not sure if I want to watch that one! I like cute comedy things and hate horror. I've heard it's both and it makes me uneasy!

So I've been watching stuff like... Working!!!, Himouto Umaru-Chan, GATE and so on. Oh, and Shokugeki no Soma continues to be brilliant as well ^_^

Britpoint said:
Anths95 said:
789ifyz said:
I'm really not sure if I want to watch that one! I like cute comedy things and hate horror. I've heard it's both and it makes me uneasy!

So I've been watching stuff like... Working!!!, Himouto Umaru-Chan, GATE and so on. Oh, and Shokugeki no Soma continues to be brilliant as well ^_^
It's definitely a cross between a slice of life like K-On! and a psychological thriller/suspense along the lines of Madoka or Mirai Nikki, except with much less portrayed violence than the latter. So if you don't want to be tense, and you definitely don't want to be wondering if any of the characters will actually live through all 12 episodes, I would avoid it... But as a "cute girls doing cute things with an edge" show it's succeeding very well, I think. Himouto Umaru-Chan looks hilarious from the clips I've seen but I don't think I could watch an entire season of what I do all day :tongue: 

So I passed on Michiko & Hatchin for now and jumped straight into Sword Art Online and so far, I'm really enjoying it. Better than Log Horizon IMO.

SynGamer said:
So I passed on Michiko & Hatchin for now and jumped straight into Sword Art Online and so far, I'm really enjoying it. Better than Log Horizon IMO.
hoo boy. brace yourself for that second arc. It starts at episode 14 I think and personally, I thought it took a serviceably decent show and dunked it in the toilet. Curious as to how you'll like it... :tongue: 

Anths95 said:
SynGamer said:
hoo boy. brace yourself for that second arc. It starts at episode 14 I think and personally, I thought it took a serviceably decent show and dunked it in the toilet. Curious as to how you'll like it... :tongue: 

I think your choice of words is a little too harsh, but the second half of SAO did indeed drag the series down the drain...

On second thought, your word choice is probably quite appropriate considering how appalling the Alfheim Online arc was. I probably only sat through it because I hate leaving a series midway. That, and I was hopeful that the show would redeem itself.

First half was good, though.

I've heard the second season of Darker than Black did the same to that series. Haven't watched it myself, though. At least, not yet anyway.

Uh oh, now I'm nervous! The first arc got me right in the feels...

It seem Square Enix are making a Chibi game! I don't know much about it other than the fact that it exists. It's called "The World of 'Final' Fantasy". I put the inverted commas around Final myself, of course, they obviously aren't part of the title.

E3 [Electronic Entertainment Expo] Trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ffn25xu6AAs

TGS [Tokyo Game Show] Trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1pDd_YXwZw

Saw this announced back at E3, looks cute, curious to see how the gameplay turns out.

One of the most iconic battles in Shounen Battle Manga: Goku vs Frieza from DBZ (Abridged Version - So much shorter and funnier) #tbt #ThrowbackThursday

Pre-battle quote:
Goku (to Vegeta): You deserve a proper burial

Frieza: Oh yes, a proper burial. An unmarked grave on an empty planet in the middle of nowhere space. Honestly, I'd say it's too good for him.

Fight:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9IDulPtymVo

Enjoy!

Alright, so I finished SAO season 1 (episodes 1-25). Maybe I took your warnings a bit too serious, but I was really expecting the show to just fall flat on its face. In the end, I think the second arc was definitely weaker than the first, but still a solid anime overall. I was curious to see where exactly they could take the story after the first art. I probably won't check out season 2, at least not any time soon, but I definitely enjoyed this little anime.

Now...to find something else to watch. I have 2+ hours of commuting each day so I need to fill that time up!

SynGamer said:
Alright, so I finished SAO season 1 (episodes 1-25). Maybe I took your warnings a bit too serious, but I was really expecting the show to just fall flat on its face. In the end, I think the second arc was definitely weaker than the first, but still a solid anime overall. I was curious to see where exactly they could take the story after the first art. I probably won't check out season 2, at least not any time soon, but I definitely enjoyed this little anime.

Now...to find something else to watch. I have 2+ hours of commuting each day so I need to fill that time up!
Okay, well, I'm glad you ended up enjoying it. I watched it when it aired so I just remember it being a massive buzzkill when the second arc got going, plus I hated the whole character/subplot with Lyfa. Still, I'm glad it didn't ruin your enjoyment of the show :) I've actually never made an SAO car, maybe I should do that next...

As far as what to watch next... what genre are you looking for? 

Anths95 said:
SynGamer said:

Okay, well, I'm glad you ended up enjoying it. I watched it when it aired so I just remember it being a massive buzzkill when the second arc got going, plus I hated the whole character/subplot with Lyfa. Still, I'm glad it didn't ruin your enjoyment of the show :) I've actually never made an SAO car, maybe I should do that next...

As far as what to watch next... what genre are you looking for? 
You do that, preferably with part one characters when they were at their coolest.

@SynGamer of all the short series I've watched, the ones I'd recommend, in no particular order, are:

- Oregairu (Yahari no Ore Seishun Love Comedy wa Machigatteiru/My Teen RomCom SNAFU)
- Yuru Yuri
- Non Non Biyori (+Repeat)
- Fate (each series is 25 eps, counting Fate/Stay Night, Fate/Zero and Fate/Stay Night UBW as separate series rather than seasons)
- Yama no Susume (First season episodes are tiny, second one are normal length)
- Zankyou no Terror (Terror in Resonance) [one of my favourites]
- Shingeki no Kyojin (Attack on Titan)
- Death Note (which GinTama characters call Peth Note)
- Steins;Gate

Slightly longer (upto 50 eps)
- Higurashi no Naku Koroni (Counting Kai as a second season, not counting Rei)

Longer series that are OK for short bursts:
- GinTama (most episodes are standalone, any 'arcs' are about 5 episodes long)

Parodies:
TFS DBZ Abridged.

Hope you find something you like on here. I haven't watched very many short series, and until 1-1.5 years ago, I hadn't watched anything other than the 'Big Four' Shounen, so my anime experience is rather limited.

And now for some anime with their alternate titling in GinTama (just for the sake of it):

Dragon Ball - Dragon Bozu
Death Note - Peth Note
One Piece - One Park
Naruto - Belt (Beruto)
Korkuko no Basket - Kuruko no Tasuke (character name)
Hunter x Hunter - Hanger Hanger

Characters:
Goku - Gachu
Luffy - Zoffy
Vegeta - Bajita
Yamcha - Namcha
Piccolo - Pickle
Super Saiyan - Super Yasain
Akatsuki (organisation) - Bakazuki (organisation)
Dende - Derde
Frieza - Brieza
Cell - Zell

Places:
Namek - Hamek