Sign in to follow this  

Anime & Manga Thread Vol. 1

"He punched me in the d!(*! Why did he punch me in the d!(*?!"

"Not so funny now, is it, Kakarot?"

From TFS DBZSA13A #MovieMonday

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fH3X2U9t2P0

Finally got round to watching some. I'd only ever watched the whole of DBZ (I'm sure a lot of peoples first) before but got a few on my Netflix watch list. Got a few episodes left to go on Chobits and made a start on Fairy Tale as well. Went to my local bookstore and found one called Ragnarok (Mostly picked it up as I liked the look of the characters and wanted to draw them) and actually quite enjoyed that as well, only to find it's been on hiatus for nearly a decade...Will probably stick to watching them rather than reading them though.

@Wynterdust While Netflix does have a good selection, its anime library is ultimately tiny. I'd personally recommend Steins;Gate and Fullmetal Alchemist: Broterhood for Netflix, if you get the chance. They're pretty well dubbed, too.

Once you're done with that, I'd recommend researching/looking around until you find your own taste in anime. Crunchyroll has a much larger library and also an app, I believe. You may want to start there.

Free websites I recommend are MoeTube for subbed (no ads) and theanimelace for both subbed and dubbed.

You should try some parodies as well, whike you're at it. I keep mentioning this one, but TFS DBZA is pretty good, though, as a DBZ fan, you've probably seen it already.

Anyway, welcome to the anime community!

Here's to hoping we don't fall into the endless abyss of otaku... 

A watchmojo top 10 countdown for Gateway Anime for beginners trying to get into anime. Usually, I don't personally agree much with their anime lists, but this one has some pretty good series that even those who don't like anime would definitely enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bc180fYhamU

Finished Clannad and really enjoyed it. I've moved onto After Story already as I really enjoy the characters.

SynGamer said:
Finished Clannad and really enjoyed it. I've moved onto After Story already as I really enjoy the characters.
Yeah I love Clannad. Good luck with After Story! It's... great. I mean it. You'll see though. xD

SynGamer said:
Just bought both of those blurays in the rightstuf sale, so excited to watch it!

SynGamer said:
Finally decided to check out The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya and so far, I'm really enjoying it. Light and funny (so far at least) and my general mood is happier during my morning commutes :smiley: 
I loved this show with all my soul. Mikuru Asahina 4 lyfe

Seriously though, I've never watched a slice of life that balanced all of the elements of a slice of life (humor, sadness, romance, intrigue, daily monotony) so well and so effectively. Kyon is absolutely my personality in a nutshell too which helped my enjoyment a lot. 

SynGamer said:
@SynGamer supposedly Clannad is very emotional. Lots of feels and/or sad moments. Did you cry while watching it? (You don't have to answer that).

In other news, I'm getting close to the end of Monster. It's difficult finding time to watch with courseworks due and all, but this one is too interesting to just put down without finishing.

Some... interesting, non-spoiler things I've noticed are: 

Only a few Czech people have Czech accents.
When asked to speak German, everyone speaks English as though that is normal. (i.e. English is the new German)
All Germans have American accents and cannot pronounce German words properly.

None of that really makes it any less enjoyable or less interesting though. Great show overall.

One more thing I noted is how EVERY SINGLE CAR IN THE WHOLE SHOW EVER is either a Mercedes Benz or a VolksWagen.

789ifyz said:
SynGamer said:
@SynGamer supposedly Clannad is very emotional. Lots of feels and/or sad moments. Did you cry while watching it? (You don't have to answer that).
Definitely lots of feels and sad moments, though I only recall one or scenes where I actually teared up a bit. Definitely recommended to watch if you haven't seen it yet!

A Visual Novel of Clannad was recently released on Steam:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/324160/

According to the description, this is a HD remake of a visual novel that had been released much earlier, so I think it's possible that the anime was adapted from an interactive VN (like the Fate series) rather than a manga. Or it's possible it had been adapted from a manga and then the VN was adapted from the anime. Well, I hadn't known of the VN before today. Learn something new every day.

789ifyz said:

According to the description, this is a HD remake of a visual novel that had been released much earlier, so I think it's possible that the anime was adapted from an interactive VN (like the Fate series) rather than a manga. Or it's possible it had been adapted from a manga and then the VN was adapted from the anime. Well, I hadn't known of the VN before today. Learn something new every day.
Steep price, especially for PC. Though it is still a neglected genre in North America. Won't lie, with my commute these days, I really wish this was on Android (as well as PC).

SynGamer said:
789ifyz said:

Steep price, especially for PC. Though it is still a neglected genre in North America. Won't lie, with my commute these days, I really wish this was on Android (as well as PC).
Even though it is fully voiced, I do agree the price is still pretty steep.

I'm not sure of the original one's price, but that was available on Android, too, although that one has no english voices or text as far as I'm aware. Since that was available on android, I'm fairly confident the HD, English version will also make its way to portable devices at some point in the future.

So... There's apparently a new VN releasing in about a week's time on PS4/3/Vita titled Steins;Gate 0, which will be getting an anime adaptation by the same name, and follows a similar but different story to the original.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2015-12-02/steins-gate-anime-rebroadcast-takes-different-route/.96014

http://myanimelist.net/anime/30484/Steins;Gate_0?q=steins%3B

Finished Clannad: After Story...

I laughed.
I cried (a bit).
I got angry.

So many emotions! It was a good story, though I didn't like how it progressed at a certain point. But overall, a great experience. I don't think I would watch this season/arc again, but the first/original I wouldn't mind owning.

Up next depends on your opinions. I have three series I'm interested in right now;

1) Monthly Girls' Nozaki-kun
2) Jigoku Shoujo (Hell Girl)
3) White Album 2

I don't know about Jigoku Shoujo or White Album, but I can 100% recommend Nozaki-kun. It's one of my favourite anime ever of all time. 

@SynGamer , Nozaki-kun is a definite recommendation. Haven't watched the other two. Yet.

In unrelated news, the Final Fantasy VII remake is a full on remake and not just a HD facelift, and Samurai Jack is returning to TV in 2016.

Yeah, may have fangirled slightly at seeing that new Final Fantasy 7 Remake trailer. Just hope it's not PS4 exclusive otherwise it's going to be a very expensive game for me...
Finished Chobits and was surprised by how good that was. Wasn't much action but the story was really well done. Am now just over 200 episodes through Fairy Tail and loving it.

Yeah, may have fangirled slightly at seeing that new Final Fantasy 7 Remake trailer. Just hope it's not PS4 exclusive otherwise it's going to be a very expensive game for me...
Finished Chobits and was surprised by how good that was. Wasn't much action but the story was really well done. Am now just over 200 episodes through Fairy Tail and loving it.
@Wynterdust The trailer said "Play it first on PS4", which implies that it will be coming to other platforms later. I'm fairly certain those other consoles will include the XboxOne. Doubt it will come to older consoles, though. And, while some older FF games have recently been coming to PC, it makes that more of a possibility, but, as FFXV is not coming to PC (as far as I'm aware) I'm not so sure that this will make it either, but it's still possible.

All in all, if you have an Xbox One, I'd say it will probably not be so expensive if you're prepared to wait a little while extra. If it happens to come to last gen consoles (which I doubt) and/or PC too, then I may be trying it out myself. at some point.

I hope so, would seem silly not to release it on everything they can and get as much as they can out of it. Yeah I'm on the X1, just whether I can make myself wait that bit longer, could be any length of time! Though I suppose it'll give some time to see whether they've made it to play like FF13 or Type-0. If it does I'll probably just stick to the classic!

Apparently Attack on Titan Season 2 is confirmed for February 2016 in Japan. Since most the characters seem non-Japanese and the dubbing on the first season wasn't horrible, I think I'll wait for a Western localisation before checking it out. I don't really find it so unbelievably amazing/exciting that I won't be able to wait for some decent dubs to come out.

Got to episode 213 on Fairy Tail and now can't find any more dubbed episodes :pensive:
Read up on one called Oda Nobuna no Yabou (Or The Ambition of Nobuna Oda) which sounded pretty good to me since I find the historical setting it's in interesting and the twists sound quite funny but I cannot find it anywhere for the life of me.