Jump to content Jump to content

Anime & Manga Thread Vol. 1

Syn

789ifyz said:
@SynGamer You probably know this already, but in case you missed it, and to inform anyone else who didn't know but may be interested, there's a new season of GinTama that started airing back in April.
I have to admit, I've only seen a handful of Gintama episodes! Funny show, but not something I've sought out. I think it's primarily because there are just *soooooooo many* episodes. It's the same reason I haven't watched Bleach or Naruto, or One Piece, or etc, etc. I may eventually get to Gintama and the others, but I'm really liking the shorter 12, 13, and 26 episode series.

Next on my list is Michiko & Hatchin. I'm also still trying to find something similar to Log Horizon, but with more action and less political intrigue. And I think it's about time I watch Helsing Ultimate again :smiley:

• 2 weeks later...
SynGamer said:
789ifyz said:
@SynGamer You probably know this already, but in case you missed it, and to inform anyone else who didn't know but may be interested, there's a new season of GinTama that started airing back in April.
I have to admit, I've only seen a handful of Gintama episodes! Funny show, but not something I've sought out. I think it's primarily because there are just *soooooooo many* episodes. It's the same reason I haven't watched Bleach or Naruto, or One Piece, or etc, etc. I may eventually get to Gintama and the others, but I'm really liking the shorter 12, 13, and 26 episode series.

Next on my list is Michiko & Hatchin. I'm also still trying to find something similar to Log Horizon, but with more action and less political intrigue. And I think it's about time I watch Helsing Ultimate again :smiley:
You could probably watch GinTama in short bursts without much trouble as most the episodes are standalone episodes and the "Arcs" are always only a few episodes each... once you get past the first 20-30 eps, it relly starts getting epic.
Hopefully you get round to it soon since otherwise you'd missing out on a lot.

Recenlty started watching Monster. 74 episodes long. I'd definitely recommend it. I started watching it in dubbed looking for accents, since it's based in Germany, but it seems everyone living in the country at the time it's based in was American.... There should at least have been 1 or 2 German accents IMO, but oh well.

The voicing in the dubs isn't bad though. Still watchable.

Also, has anyone seen SKET Dance? What's that show like?

789ifyz said:
Recenlty started watching Monster. 74 episodes long. I'd definitely recommend it. I started watching it in dubbed looking for accents, since it's based in Germany, but it seems everyone living in the country at the time it's based in was American.... There should at least have been 1 or 2 German accents IMO, but oh well.

The voicing in the dubs isn't bad though. Still watchable.

Also, has anyone seen SKET Dance? What's that show like?
74 episodes is such a commitment that a show has to be genre-defining for me to watch it. I still haven't even watched FMA because of the high number of episodes, and that is genre-defining. Basically, godspeed, good sir. 

Never seen it but I'm watching Gakkou Gurashi! this season and it's not your standard moe-girls-do-moe-things show. It's shocked me, I'm totally hooked. 

• 1 month later...
"I can't believe how easy it is to get away with this $#!+ with you people! I want to transform, you sit there and you let me; I want to kill your friends, you sit there and you let me; I want to reach full power and you just sit right there and let me!" ~Frieza to Super Saiyan Goku (AKA Super Yasain Gachu) during their fight.

I'm just gonna post a little update here since I have nothing better to do with my time...

Recently finished; Oregairu Zoku, Fate/Stay Night,

Currently Watching:
Baby Steps (Season 2, Ongoing)
Downton Abbey (not anime)
Fate/Zero
GinTama (2015, ongoing)
Monster
Non Non Biyori
Psych (TV Only, not anime)
Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso
SKET Dance

Comments:
While watching Non Non Biyori I think I've come to realise why it is that I enjoy the shorter, plotless series like that one. I think I find them to be relaxing and also a nice change of pace from the Shounen I generally watch. And the ones that don't quite fit into their own genres or proceed to tear their genres apart are also among the types that I really like.

Also, I joined my brother while he was watching Dragonball Super and I found that there seems to be much less fighting and the fighting itself is more fighting and less standing around flexing, gasping and/or screaming at the top of one's lungs than previous dragonball series. It's almost enjoyable!

Almost...

I'm going to check out Michiko & Hatchin tomorrow during my morning commute. Heard good things (similar to Cowboy Bebop...to a certain extent). It just haven't been able to find an anime lately that captures my interest fully.

I also find myself drifting away from 20+ episode series. I've really been enjoying 12 and 13 episode series. Quick to watch and to the point (usually).

• Codemasters Staff
Anths95 said:
789ifyz said:
Does anyone have recommendations for Autumn? And what were people's selection for best anime of the Summer? Just wondering.
I really have enjoyed Gakkou Gurashi! this summer, and I think everyone's excited for One Punch Man this fall.... 
I'm really not sure if I want to watch that one! I like cute comedy things and hate horror. I've heard it's both and it makes me uneasy!

So I've been watching stuff like... Working!!!, Himouto Umaru-Chan, GATE and so on. Oh, and Shokugeki no Soma continues to be brilliant as well ^_^

Britpoint said:
Anths95 said:
789ifyz said:
Does anyone have recommendations for Autumn? And what were people's selection for best anime of the Summer? Just wondering.
I really have enjoyed Gakkou Gurashi! this summer, and I think everyone's excited for One Punch Man this fall.... 
I'm really not sure if I want to watch that one! I like cute comedy things and hate horror. I've heard it's both and it makes me uneasy!

So I've been watching stuff like... Working!!!, Himouto Umaru-Chan, GATE and so on. Oh, and Shokugeki no Soma continues to be brilliant as well ^_^
It's definitely a cross between a slice of life like K-On! and a psychological thriller/suspense along the lines of Madoka or Mirai Nikki, except with much less portrayed violence than the latter. So if you don't want to be tense, and you definitely don't want to be wondering if any of the characters will actually live through all 12 episodes, I would avoid it... But as a "cute girls doing cute things with an edge" show it's succeeding very well, I think. Himouto Umaru-Chan looks hilarious from the clips I've seen but I don't think I could watch an entire season of what I do all day :tongue: 

SynGamer said:
So I passed on Michiko & Hatchin for now and jumped straight into Sword Art Online and so far, I'm really enjoying it. Better than Log Horizon IMO.
hoo boy. brace yourself for that second arc. It starts at episode 14 I think and personally, I thought it took a serviceably decent show and dunked it in the toilet. Curious as to how you'll like it... :tongue: 

Anths95 said:
SynGamer said:
So I passed on Michiko & Hatchin for now and jumped straight into Sword Art Online and so far, I'm really enjoying it. Better than Log Horizon IMO.
hoo boy. brace yourself for that second arc. It starts at episode 14 I think and personally, I thought it took a serviceably decent show and dunked it in the toilet. Curious as to how you'll like it... :tongue: 

I think your choice of words is a little too harsh, but the second half of SAO did indeed drag the series down the drain...

On second thought, your word choice is probably quite appropriate considering how appalling the Alfheim Online arc was. I probably only sat through it because I hate leaving a series midway. That, and I was hopeful that the show would redeem itself.

First half was good, though.

It seem Square Enix are making a Chibi game! I don't know much about it other than the fact that it exists. It's called "The World of 'Final' Fantasy". I put the inverted commas around Final myself, of course, they obviously aren't part of the title.

E3 [Electronic Entertainment Expo] Trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ffn25xu6AAs

TGS [Tokyo Game Show] Trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1pDd_YXwZw

One of the most iconic battles in Shounen Battle Manga: Goku vs Frieza from DBZ (Abridged Version - So much shorter and funnier) #tbt #ThrowbackThursday

Pre-battle quote:
Goku (to Vegeta): You deserve a proper burial

Frieza: Oh yes, a proper burial. An unmarked grave on an empty planet in the middle of nowhere space. Honestly, I'd say it's too good for him.

Fight:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9IDulPtymVo

Enjoy!

Alright, so I finished SAO season 1 (episodes 1-25). Maybe I took your warnings a bit too serious, but I was really expecting the show to just fall flat on its face. In the end, I think the second arc was definitely weaker than the first, but still a solid anime overall. I was curious to see where exactly they could take the story after the first art. I probably won't check out season 2, at least not any time soon, but I definitely enjoyed this little anime.

Now...to find something else to watch. I have 2+ hours of commuting each day so I need to fill that time up!

SynGamer said:
Alright, so I finished SAO season 1 (episodes 1-25). Maybe I took your warnings a bit too serious, but I was really expecting the show to just fall flat on its face. In the end, I think the second arc was definitely weaker than the first, but still a solid anime overall. I was curious to see where exactly they could take the story after the first art. I probably won't check out season 2, at least not any time soon, but I definitely enjoyed this little anime.

Now...to find something else to watch. I have 2+ hours of commuting each day so I need to fill that time up!
Okay, well, I'm glad you ended up enjoying it. I watched it when it aired so I just remember it being a massive buzzkill when the second arc got going, plus I hated the whole character/subplot with Lyfa. Still, I'm glad it didn't ruin your enjoyment of the show :) I've actually never made an SAO car, maybe I should do that next...

As far as what to watch next... what genre are you looking for? 

Anths95 said:
SynGamer said:

Okay, well, I'm glad you ended up enjoying it. I watched it when it aired so I just remember it being a massive buzzkill when the second arc got going, plus I hated the whole character/subplot with Lyfa. Still, I'm glad it didn't ruin your enjoyment of the show :) I've actually never made an SAO car, maybe I should do that next...

As far as what to watch next... what genre are you looking for? 
You do that, preferably with part one characters when they were at their coolest.

@SynGamer of all the short series I've watched, the ones I'd recommend, in no particular order, are:

- Oregairu (Yahari no Ore Seishun Love Comedy wa Machigatteiru/My Teen RomCom SNAFU)
- Yuru Yuri
- Non Non Biyori (+Repeat)
- Fate (each series is 25 eps, counting Fate/Stay Night, Fate/Zero and Fate/Stay Night UBW as separate series rather than seasons)
- Yama no Susume (First season episodes are tiny, second one are normal length)
- Zankyou no Terror (Terror in Resonance) [one of my favourites]
- Shingeki no Kyojin (Attack on Titan)
- Death Note (which GinTama characters call Peth Note)
- Steins;Gate

Slightly longer (upto 50 eps)
- Higurashi no Naku Koroni (Counting Kai as a second season, not counting Rei)

Longer series that are OK for short bursts:
- GinTama (most episodes are standalone, any 'arcs' are about 5 episodes long)

Parodies:
TFS DBZ Abridged.

Hope you find something you like on here. I haven't watched very many short series, and until 1-1.5 years ago, I hadn't watched anything other than the 'Big Four' Shounen, so my anime experience is rather limited.

And now for some anime with their alternate titling in GinTama (just for the sake of it):

Dragon Ball - Dragon Bozu
Death Note - Peth Note
One Piece - One Park
Naruto - Belt (Beruto)
Korkuko no Basket - Kuruko no Tasuke (character name)
Hunter x Hunter - Hanger Hanger

Characters:
Goku - Gachu
Luffy - Zoffy
Vegeta - Bajita
Yamcha - Namcha
Piccolo - Pickle
Super Saiyan - Super Yasain
Akatsuki (organisation) - Bakazuki (organisation)
Dende - Derde
Frieza - Brieza
Cell - Zell

Places:
Namek - Hamek

• Codemasters Staff
I really need to watch Durarara x2 at some point. I saw the original series when it aired and it was very good, but for some reason I haven't watched the second. First of all I'm currently finishing off Gate and Stein's;Gate. My friends'll get mad at me if I don't finish Stein's;Gate in particular because they've both played the Visual Novel and can't discuss spoilers while I'm around ^^

Britpoint said:
I really need to watch Durarara x2 at some point. I saw the original series when it aired and it was very good, but for some reason I haven't watched the second. First of all I'm currently finishing off Gate and Stein's;Gate. My friends'll get mad at me if I don't finish Stein's;Gate in particular because they've both played the Visual Novel and can't discuss spoilers while I'm around ^^
Durarara is on my watchlist. One of the shows I'm most looking forward to... and how far are you on Steins;Gate? What did you think of it?
I'd actually forgotten that it was a short series, since when I 'marathoned' it I didn't exactly have much time so I ended up taking a lot longer than the 2-3 days I'd initially planned to finish the show in.

• Codemasters Staff
789ifyz said:
Britpoint said:
Durarara is on my watchlist. One of the shows I'm most looking forward to... and how far are you on Steins;Gate? What did you think of it?
I'd actually forgotten that it was a short series, since when I 'marathoned' it I didn't exactly have much time so I ended up taking a lot longer than the 2-3 days I'd initially planned to finish the show in.
I'm only on about episode 6 of Steins;Gate, so it hasn't really kicked off yet and I've yet to figure out why they have that stupid semicolon in the title XD But I'm enjoying it well enough.

Have you seen Baccano? That was the thing the Durarara folks made before Durarara and is also a lot of fun.

Britpoint said:
789ifyz said:
Britpoint said:
I'm only on about episode 6 of Steins;Gate, so it hasn't really kicked off yet and I've yet to figure out why they have that stupid semicolon in the title XD But I'm enjoying it well enough.

Have you seen Baccano? That was the thing the Durarara folks made before Durarara and is also a lot of fun.
Baccano is also on my VERY long list of 570+ Anime I have yet to watch. I basically just randomly choose one everytime I finish or drop one I'm currently watching... yeah, that's probably not the most efficient method.

In other news, there's a relatively new kickstarter project that's begun now that the funding target has been reached. The animation quality on that looks great. It's a Sci-Fi Thriller called Under the Dog.

My friend at Uni watched 9 episodes of Baccano a long time ago, but he can't really remember it anymore... Also, he recommends a manga titled Vagabond for its incredibly realistic art style. He also warns that it's rude. Again, I've yet to try  it.

So.... Baby Steps Second Season finished recently and I find both that and Oregairu.Zoku felt a little... incomplete. There didn't seem to be a proper conclusion, but it wasn't a cliffhanger, either, and neither was it one of those cliche "The real Adventure begins now" sort of endings, (well, may Baby Steps was, a little)...

The first seasons of both shows, the way they ended, it was clear that more was to come, but it still felt like the show had completed something, like it would be fine even if there wasn't a new season later on. These second seasons both felt like they ended mid-season instead. Has anyone else felt this to be true, or is it just me? Or has nobody else on this forum watched these shows?

Just finished season one of Bakuman, really enjoyed it overall. Diving straight into season two tomorrow, can't wait to see where this goes. I already have a few plot elements in mind but we'll see what happens!

@everyone and @Britpoint in particular, you may or may not be aware that a third season of Yuru Yuri titled Yuru Yuri San Hai has just started. You may or may not be interested in this show.

Well, that's all I wanted to post at this moment in time. Thank you for taking the time to read through this comment.

Bye, for now.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Codemasters Staff
789ifyz said:
And is it just me, or has the School Council VP's voice changed?
Oh hey, missed *this* comment! I don't think her voice has changed, but I think she's shouting a little bit less this season which might explain the difference ^^

SynGamer said:
I'm two episodes from finishing Bakuman...and I don't want it to end! Great series so far. No idea what can follow after this series, but I'm open to suggestions.
Have you watched Steins;Gate? I just finished it the other day. O.O

@Britpoint That may be it, though it was actually when she was shouting that I felt it was different - a slightly higher pitch than the last 2 seasons...

and @SynGamer too bad you couldn't get into Steins;Gate. One of my favourite series.
If I'm not mistaken, Future Diaries is the English title for Mirai Nikki, right? I've heard that show is pretty gory....

Anyway, personal recommendations would be Zankyou no Terror and Yuru Yuri (seen as the third season's just started). I've mentioned both of these earlier, too.

Not too long ago, I began reading a Korean Manwa titled "Noblesse". It is, at times, badly written, has an OP protagonist, and features many ultra cliche scenes, but somehow I still enjoyed it.

Perhaps thanks to its comedy, or maybe it was their unique (as far as I'm aware) take on Vampires and Werewolves, or perhaps it's the fact that it's all in full colour... I'm not entirely sure what attracted me, but I've basically caught up already and am keeping up with it. I think I may even recommend it.

Also started reading a Chinese Manwa called 'Doupo Cangqiong'. Only a couple chapters in and finding it a little underwhelming, but we'll see how it goes.

@Britpoint I found the first episode of Yuru Yuri San Hai disappointing. I feel they were trying to cram too much into a single episode. The second one was better, though. I somehow forgot about episode 3, though... will watch once I'm home.

789ifyz said:
@Britpoint That may be it, though it was actually when she was shouting that I felt it was different - a slightly higher pitch than the last 2 seasons...

and @SynGamer too bad you couldn't get into Steins;Gate. One of my favourite series.
If I'm not mistaken, Future Diaries is the English title for Mirai Nikki, right? I've heard that show is pretty gory....

Anyway, personal recommendations would be Zankyou no Terror and Yuru Yuri (seen as the third season's just started). I've mentioned both of these earlier, too.
I actually forgot just how gory Future Diary is...perhaps that's not the best viewing option when commuting on the subway. I also have My Teenage RomCom SNAFU, perhaps I'll give that a try instead.

• Codemasters Staff
SynGamer said:
I've tried watching Steins;Gate like three times and each time I just cannot get into it :( I think I'm going to give Future Diary a try.
How far did you get in? I also struggled a bit for about the first 10 episodes or so. It's quite slow until a certain moment, at which point it completely shifts pace and tone into something much more engaging.

Britpoint said:
SynGamer said:
I've tried watching Steins;Gate like three times and each time I just cannot get into it :( I think I'm going to give Future Diary a try.
How far did you get in? I also struggled a bit for about the first 10 episodes or so. It's quite slow until a certain moment, at which point it completely shifts pace and tone into something much more engaging.
I made it to episode 3 or 4 I believe. I don't think I could every give a series 10 episodes before it picks up pace/steam. I might go back to it at another time. For now, I am really enjoying My Teenage RomCom SNAFU. Likable characters and an interesting story with plenty of love interests.

• Codemasters Staff
Sounds fun; perhaps I'll check that out sometime. I'm currently on Ore Monogatari which is amazing. Typical romance for the most part - shy girl, dense guy, neither can read the other properly and it all gets very awkward. Except in this one there's a third character whose sole purpose is to point out all this stuff to the main characters, so he just sorts out all the difficult situations in a heartbeat and they can just get on with things. It's fantastic.

SynGamer said:
789ifyz said:

I actually forgot just how gory Future Diary is...perhaps that's not the best viewing option when commuting on the subway. I also have My Teenage RomCom SNAFU, perhaps I'll give that a try instead.
@SynGamer Haha! Another of my favourites! Hikkigaya is SO mature....

(in case it won't appear: http://pa1.narvii.com/5839/8081e5104c1111e615dc3132dcd806e7f3e38cfb_hq.gif )

• 2 weeks later...
Finally decided to check out The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya and so far, I'm really enjoying it. Light and funny (so far at least) and my general mood is happier during my morning commutes :smiley: 

@dbs213 This may or may not interest you, but I've heard the Japanese are planning a manga adaptation for RWBY. Not quite sure how 3D animation would translate to comic, but if they do make a comic, I'd personally prefer it be western comic as the source material from the west, or if it must be asian, then Manhwa rather than manga as that is closer to its western counterpart (Left to Right, Full Colour).

Of course, I could be completely misinformed, and it could be that no comic adaptation, manga or otherwise, is in the works.

One thing I do know, though, is that the third season of the show recently started, but you probably know that already.

Also, @SynGamer ,while the voice acting can, on occasion, sound a bit off (i.e. sometimes it sounds like a dubbed anime) and the animation is, at times, a little... awkward(?) I think RWBY is worth a watch. Each episode is pretty short, and each season is only 12-odd episodes long.

Plus EVERY weapon is also a gun, so that's nice.

As for the Melencholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, I believe there's a dance in one of the endings that many people like to emulate on the internet....

In another thread of this forum, @TuliRally mentioned an anime called 'Goddamn' as an anime that's about Rallying. Judging by the image on the page he/she linked, I'm assuming it's actually rather old. Even so, I think it would be worth a watch for Rally fans on here. He also mentioned a manga titled SS.

Here's a link to the Rally themed comics/movies/anime/fiction/music/documents thread
: http://forums.codemasters.com/discussion/31990/off-topic-rally-themed-comics-movies-anime-fiction-music-documents-etc