Jump to content Jump to content

Hidden assists in different race styles?

Maybe you know the video from @PJTierney

It was not said cleary, thats why thoughts came up, if standard or beginner race style has hidden aids active compared to expert race style? I know that it mainly expand and reduce the amount of options you can turn on/off but after some tests I have the feeling that driving with standard race style makes controlling the car easier compared to expert style, does it? For sure I talk about a comparison when using the same editable driving aids. I have the feeling that there is another mechanic behind, that makes car controlling less sensitive and "forgives" more little mistakes in turning f.e.

Has anybody an answer to this? 

We tested it once, one of us used standard style, while the other used expert style. The one with standard style was mostly the slowest of us in the month before. In this test he was 0,5 sec faster and had less problems with controlling the cars. It is not a problem at all, but if there is a little advantage for players with standard style, then it would just good to know. 

This test is everthing but now a good benchmark for this, thats why I ask you guys. Maybe @PJTierney can answer this too! Is there something behind this mechanic? 

Edited by DonBlanko

Once during practice session.   I was testing a very different set up that I’d normally use.  And I was amazed.  Wow car is on rails.  Awesome.  But when I got back to the pits I was so far off the pace.  Like 3 seconds a lap.  So I was abit perplexed.  Turns out I must have a accidentally pressed a wrong button in the main menu and I was on casual.

so yes definitely hidden assists to keep you on the track but at huge cost to your pace

22 minutes ago, ScaredDuck said:

Once during practice session.   I was testing a very different set up that I’d normally use.  And I was amazed.  Wow car is on rails.  Awesome.  But when I got back to the pits I was so far off the pace.  Like 3 seconds a lap.  So I was abit perplexed.  Turns out I must have a accidentally pressed a wrong button in the main menu and I was on casual.

so yes definitely hidden assists to keep you on the track but at huge cost to your pace

Very interesting that you had almost the same expierences. My buddy seem to have less mistakes while driving on standard. But it is nowhere descriped officially that there are some aids active, right? I have the feeling that there are not extra assists turned on, but maybe all paramaters seems to be less sensitive, so turning too hard, or accelerating too much where normally you could spin because of lost grip now get balanced out by the game. 

• Agree 1
11 hours ago, DonBlanko said:

Very interesting that you had almost the same expierences. My buddy seem to have less mistakes while driving on standard. But it is nowhere descriped officially that there are some aids active, right? I have the feeling that there are not extra assists turned on, but maybe all paramaters seems to be less sensitive, so turning too hard, or accelerating too much where normally you could spin because of lost grip now get balanced out by the game. 

Well apart from the one time I mentioned when I did a lap on casual mode.  Every one off the thousands upon thousands off laps I’ve done have been with expert selected.

And this old dog has learned a new trick.  Just did tyre wear practice program...using standard mode for the very first time and I was taking  corners with almost complete disregard off keeping wear down and the little needle which would in  expert mode be deep in the red zone...  kept creeping up to the purple and by the end off the lap it was full on bright purple.  

Thanks for teaching me some new dude.. only wished you had mentioned it 6 months ago😁😂

• Haha 1

We’ll still In practice at spa.  Firstly checked over the settings I’d lose not have expert selected.  And havnt lost any settings I’d change.  Only thing I’m not sure about is If tyre wear and heat and carcass effects are reduced as I can’t see what they are set at.  I’m about to race Spa and should be a good test using standard.   Instead off heavy rain at the end off the race like I have constantly be getting... Spa will ofcourse still be rain effect but this time heavy rain at the start and dry the end... way To go CM... @BarryBL I’m really trying not to use abusive language but for the love off all that’s holy ( That be me)  please whenever you Memo/email one off the devs can you using  bold massive caps start every message with STOP THE RAIN NOW!  😁

The CM devs can consider themselves lucky you guys don’t have to go into work everyday.. cause if they did I’d be there with a fire engine and hose and soak everyone who exited and entered CM HQ...  and I was just thinking I wouldnt soak you. But then I thought some more and have decided I would.😂

@DonBlanko just noticed in settings menu when I toggle the modes from standard to expert I just caught a glimpse off tyre temp setting changing from surface in standard to surface and carcass in expert. So that’s what would explain why it was so easy to to the tyre practice program.  Maybe Barry can shed some light on what’s what between these modes.  When he reads yet another post from me begging him to help Put an end to the rain

Edited by ScaredDuck

Ok spa done and won.  Start race was monsoon so wet tyres are unresponsive as it is but Standard mode definitely made  car massively more stable. But it felt like my front wheels had 20 degrees off steering lock removed. The extra stability is gained by stopping you from applying to much steering lock in medium speed corners thus the rear is doesn’t spin out as much. But this also means you can’t take those corners at  attack speeds. As you just go way wide.  Once I was on inters it was better but think I prefer expert mode although I will use standard in practice to see which tracks suits its handling model

• Like 1
23 minutes ago, ScaredDuck said:

Ok spa done and won.  Start race was monsoon so wet tyres are unresponsive as it is but Standard mode definitely made  car massively more stable. But it felt like my front wheels had 20 degrees off steering lock removed. The extra stability is gained by stopping you from applying to much steering lock in medium speed corners thus the rear is doesn’t spin out as much. But this also means you can’t take those corners at  attack speeds. As you just go way wide.  Once I was on inters it was better but think I prefer expert mode although I will use standard in practice to see which tracks suits its handling model

STOP THE RAIN NOW 

So...it modifies steering assist?

Edited by Badmayhem
forgot to add something
  • Haha 1

Ok just advanced to Monza and it’s Got the same weather forecast as Spa Race start heavy rain dry end off race.  And I actually can’t remember the last time I had a dry race... and I know why... my team car is Has maxed out aero and chassis and DEspite my engine being in the bottom 3.  Button and I have finished 1-2 in 9 out off 10 races and as I’m only doing 16 races this season the constructors could be mine by the end off this weekend as All the other ai drivers are so inconsistent. And championship is still close between me and button.  So the As the ai drivers cant put more than 2 points finishes in a row to be able to beat me on track the game is throwing rain at me.  Didn’t work last season and won’t work this season.  This always happens when ai drivers fall to far behind in the points.  Wet race  after wet race and it’s basically doubling down until I crash out.  And then I’ll get asking in interview how I like the rain and depending on my answer will decide if it keeps making rain. I hate it I hate it I hate it  @BarryBL please make it stop.. 

okay I guess we get it, the rain is too much for you 😄 (why I never had the problem in coop mode yet?! Maybe because we are still in first season. I don't know if this theory makes sense..)  

mh.. Why did CM never told us more about the hidden assist when changing race style from expert to standard? I tested yesterday too and had the same result: Expert seems to be a bit faster, you seem to be able to take more speed into the corners but the standard mode ist definitly more stable. But I cannot define any values. It's more a feeling because I was still able to be quick standard mode. With both modes I was able too do high 1.15 in Imola. But I had the feeling that the difference between this mode is mostly relevant for pad users. 

6 hours ago, ScaredDuck said:

We’ll still In practice at spa.  Firstly checked over the settings I’d lose not have expert selected.  And havnt lost any settings I’d change.  Only thing I’m not sure about is If tyre wear and heat and carcass effects are reduced as I can’t see what they are set at.  I’m about to race Spa and should be a good test using standard.   Instead off heavy rain at the end off the race like I have constantly be getting... Spa will ofcourse still be rain effect but this time heavy rain at the start and dry the end... way To go CM... @BarryBL I’m really trying not to use abusive language but for the love off all that’s holy ( That be me)  please whenever you Memo/email one off the devs can you using  bold massive caps start every message with STOP THE RAIN NOW!  😁

The CM devs can consider themselves lucky you guys don’t have to go into work everyday.. cause if they did I’d be there with a fire engine and hose and soak everyone who exited and entered CM HQ...  and I was just thinking I wouldnt soak you. But then I thought some more and have decided I would.😂

@DonBlanko just noticed in settings menu when I toggle the modes from standard to expert I just caught a glimpse off tyre temp setting changing from surface in standard to surface and carcass in expert. So that’s what would explain why it was so easy to to the tyre practice program.  Maybe Barry can shed some light on what’s what between these modes.  When he reads yet another post from me begging him to help Put an end to the rain

You noticed that the option how the Tire temperature gets simulated changed when swapping the mode. Maybe thats the reason but I think, even when using the same tire temperature option like before, the car is still more stable. Maybe a lot more complaining players here in this forum should use standard mode 😄 

Nevertheless I ask myself how much pace between this modes is and if some paramenters are less sensitve or if there is another assist active, like @Badmayhem mentioned.. I haven't found it yet. But if Standard mode really makes the car more stable over kerbs, in corners, in accerleration etc. why Codemasters never told the complaining community about it? 😄 

• Like 1
  • DonBlanko changed the title to Hidden assists in different race styles?
1 hour ago, DonBlanko said:

Maybe a lot more complaining players here in this forum should use standard mode

I was thinking the exact same thing... when kerbgate was raging I’m willing to bet all the kerbs are broken posters like us had expert mode.  Selecting  any mode less would cause ourselves to wonder.... hmm are we not expert?

i don’t think having carcass temperature is the only thing but it certainly help keeping tyres in the window.

I use controller and when it’s wet and I’m about to climb up oh rude at spa.  The controller gets stability  assistance from the game.

basically you can turn off all assists but game still assists and will help when your at high speed 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1