Jump to content Jump to content

F1® 2021 | Driver Stat Updates 4

• Administrator

F1_2021_DRIVERCARD_BEAUTY_SHOT_16X9_January.jpg

After 22 races of jaw-dropping, heart-stopping, mind-blowing wheel-to-wheel action, Max Verstappen has been crowned the 2021 World Champion. The lights have gone down on one of the most dramatic seasons in recent history, and it’s now time to update F1® 2021’s driver ratings for the final time.

The final changes for the season include:

Gains For Gasly

F12021_DRIVERCARD_highres_Gasly_January.jpg

Pierre Gasly ended the 2021 season on a high. A stunning sixth place in Jeddah followed a fabulous fifth-place finish in Abu Dhabi and rounded off a strong season for the Frenchman. His points haul in the last two races has meant his Racecraft. Awareness, Pace, and Overall Rating have all gone up by one.

Mick’s Moving on Up

F12021_DRIVERCARD_highres_Schumacher_January.jpg

Mick Schumacher made his mark during his debut season in Formula 1®. While both he and his teammate retired in the Saudi Arabian Grand Prix, Schumacher’s 14th place finish in Abu Dhabi means his Racecraft rises by two, and his Awareness and Overall Rating by one.

Russell’s Relapse

F12021_DRIVERCARD_highres_Russell_January.jpg

Despite grabbing a promotion to Mercedes for the new season, the last two Grands Prix of 2021 weren’t races to remember for Russell. The Englishman retired in both Saudi Arabia and Abu Dhabi, causing his Pace and Overall Rating to drop by one.

Championship Rivals

F12021_DRIVERCARD_highres_Verstappen_January.jpgF12021_DRIVERCARD_highres_Hamilton_January.jpg

The battle of the World Championship may be over, but how has the dramatic action from the last two races changed the rivals’ ratings?

Max Verstappen’s show of raw speed and racing mean that his Experience, Racecraft, and Pace all increase by one, though penalties given in the Saudi Arabian Grand Prix have dropped the Dutchman’s Awareness by five. This means Verstappen’s Overall Rating stays at 93. Lewis Hamilton’s strong performances have ensured his ratings remain the same, and it’s Lewis that finishes F1® 2021 with the higher Overall Rating of 94.

As with every ratings update, drivers are scored according to their Experience, Pace, Awareness, Racecraft, and Overall Rating, with the numbers weighted towards the season’s most recent race results.

If you’re interested in knowing more about how our driver ratings are calculated, you can take a deeper look here.

For those who haven’t come across these before, in F1® 2021’s My Team you become driver-owner of your Formula 1® team. Along with choosing the power unit and selecting your team’s name & colours, one of the most important decisions is who your teammate will be. This is where the driver ratings come in - to help you decide who will be the best for you on your budget.

If you’re in the middle of a My Team save, you’ll be asked whether you’d like to apply the changes to your existing save via an in-game message.

• Like 1
  • Administrator
42 minutes ago, mantazzo said:

..Shouldn't this *technically* be Update 5, since you guys updated stats with previous patch and didn't post the update to forums?

From my notes, I have this as Driver update 4. 

1 hour ago, BarryBL said:

From my notes, I have this as Driver update 4. 

Looking at forum topics, that would be correct, however it seems that at least in this forum, the following post was not posted (Driver Ratings Update alongside patch 1.14): https://www.ea.com/games/f1/f1-2021/news/f1-2021-driver-ratings-qatargp so technically this would be Update 5. Small technicality only, no big deal. 😅

EDIT: Anyway, here's my "Excel Table" with the full list of stats. Nothing major to point out here, except the -5 Awareness for Verstappen.

paveikslas.thumb.png.ff8808f6a223d2dff7f50d83a035e03e.png

Also, here's a table for previous Update, "Update 4", which came out with patch 1.14:

paveikslas.thumb.png.a9bf92c33bd7532b7f4e04365324c1ca.png

Edited by mantazzo
Added the self-made Excel tables again.
  • Like 1

As with every single drivers update for the 2021 iteration of the game, I find it very hard to accept that these in game stat values are meant to reflect what has happended IRL during the F1 2021 season. If I had to name something, that seems to be the problem here: You guys are looking at results only, you are not looking (enough) on what happens during non-race sessions and / or how the results are being produced. To say the least, these ratings take away a ton of the possible immersion, that this game could hold for an F1 enthusiast like me.

Despite being positively surprised by Mick Schumacher (not to say I am a fan of his, he has yet to prove a lot), I do not think that anyone with a sane mind who watched F1 closely during the past few years could rightfully claim, that Schumachers pace and awareness would outnumber those of George Russell. Russells pace would belong into the 90ies point wise, and his racecraft well into the 80ies, or do you guys really think he got the mercedes cockpit from / instead of Bottas, because he (Russell) is a driver slower and with less attention than young Mr Schumacher?!?

Verstappen becomes World Champion in an awesome fight, kind of forcing things versus the strongest man of F1 over years, Lewis, despite his (Verstappens) puncher in Azerbaidjan and a shunt in England which neither were his fault, and yet he looses a large amount (?) of awareness points / rating, now why in the world would that be?

To be perfectly honest, we have seen enough of questionable driver stat updates during the F1 2021 season / iteration of this game, and if there will not be a stats editor for driver / engine / car performance stats included in the F1 2022 version of this game, then I will not buy it for the first time since 2018. Period. And it would surprise me, if anyone else here on the forums thinks otherwise.

Other than that: Thanks for keeping us informed @BarryBL 👍

Irrelevant while the personnel boosts are still in the game.

Thay being said, Russell nerf? Seriously? He was too slow in game as it is. Ferrari drivers still slow, Alonso still not rated high enough, Ocon still at an embarrassing 79 pace. Ricciardo still slower than Kimi.

Please just add a feature in F1 2022 where we can change these ourselves... 

Verstappen World Champion and he has a lower rating than Hamilton who drove into the back of someone who was clearly slowing down????? Usual British biased ratings... Which makes no sense when Russel gets his rating lowered... Good thing they didn't drop Verstappen's overall rating...

#bringbackclassiccarstothef1gameseries

16 hours ago, EpiclySlowCars said:

Verstappen World Champion and he has a lower rating than Hamilton who drove into the back of someone who was clearly slowing down????? Usual British biased ratings... Which makes no sense when Russel gets his rating lowered... Good thing they didn't drop Verstappen's overall rating...

#bringbackclassiccarstothef1gameseries

Yeah half-points in a no race at Spa (5 points for qualifying, funny how it starts and ends under SC) and Masi-assist in Abu Dhabi. Respect Max, you killed it. 

I'm talking about your and the FIA rep, if you missed it 🙂

3 hours ago, steviejay69 said:

Yeah half-points in a no race at Spa (5 points for qualifying, funny how it starts and ends under SC) and Masi-assist in Abu Dhabi. Respect Max, you killed it. 

I'm talking about your and the FIA rep, if you missed it 🙂

And the Mercedes that have put verstappen out of the race 2 times in England and Hungary? :).

end of the year hamilton is clearly the fastest guy. But overall in the season verstappen deserve the title. He has been much more unlucky than hamilton as said Alain Prost

31 minutes ago, julian439 said:

And the Mercedes that have put verstappen out of the race 2 times in England and Hungary? :).

end of the year hamilton is clearly the fastest guy. But overall in the season verstappen deserve the title. He has been much more unlucky than hamilton as said Alain Prost

Yeah Max turned in at Silverstone because he couldn't outbrake Hamilton who had the better line. Self inflicted. Stewards as we know, are for the show (decisions are wrong).

Hamilton didn't do anything to Verstappen at Hungary, Bottas drives like a douche on his own, Checo does it to order. 🤐

I love how the current World Champion and clear best driver of the 2021 season has the second highest rating. Is this a joke or are you seriously this out of touch?

On 1/14/2022 at 3:37 PM, steviejay69 said:

Yeah Max turned in at Silverstone because he couldn't outbrake Hamilton who had the better line. Self inflicted. Stewards as we know, are for the show (decisions are wrong).

Hamilton didn't do anything to Verstappen at Hungary, Bottas drives like a douche on his own, Checo does it to order. 🤐

Max left more than enough room on the inside. It's Hamilton the one who ***** ups and understeers. When he passed Leclerc several laps later, despite Leclerc leaving the same amount of room as Verstappen did, he makes the corner just fine without understeering.

If you unironically think Max doesn't deserve the championship because of Spa and Abu Dhabi, you haven't watched the whole season. If you wanna mention Spa and Abu Dhabi, I can mention Baku, Silverstone, and Hungary. Max would have won the WDC with races to spare if it wasn't because of his bad luck or Mercedes drivers crashing.

Max finished in the top2 in every race in which he had no accident. The same can't be said about Hamilton because he ****** up several races. Max was simply better over the year.

1 minute ago, AgusNC said:

I love how the current World Champion and clear best driver of the 2021 season has the second highest rating. Is this a joke or are you seriously this out of touch?

Max left more than enough room on the inside. It's Hamilton the one who ***** ups and understeers. When he passed Leclerc several laps later, despite Leclerc leaving the same amount of room as Verstappen did, he makes the corner just fine without understeering.

If you unironically think Max doesn't deserve the championship because of Spa and Abu Dhabi, you haven't watched the whole season. If you wanna mention Spa and Abu Dhabi, I can mention Baku, Silverstone, and Hungary. Max would have won the WDC with races to spare if it wasn't because of his bad luck or Mercedes drivers crashing.

Max finished in the top2 in every race in which he had no accident. The same can't be said about Hamilton because he ****** up several races. Max was simply better over the year.

He sure was near a lot of those wasn't he? You make your luck.

True, I think Hamilton has been off the boil this season and a bit of last. I think his head was firmly in the 'next game' and had been for a while. Despite all you say, it was still a gift and is still tainted because with all that into account, Max still needed it that way to win. Hamilton had won the race hands down, as he was firmly in the ascendant as the season drew to a close.

It's only done at the last. I'm not doubting that Max is a World Driver Champion, because the record books say so. Anyone watching knows the truth, and that is that it was gifted by a bloke who probably needs a job....

10 hours ago, AgusNC said:

I love how the current World Champion and clear best driver of the 2021 season has the second highest rating

10 hours ago, steviejay69 said:

that is that it was gifted by a bloke who probably needs a job....

Can not comply - no championship is won in a single race, let alone in a single lap. Max had to be there race after race, lap after lap, even in times when his tyre blew without his fault, or when his competitor shunted him into the wall / hospital, or when Valtteri played at skittles... He never faltered, he never gave up. Given his age, his speed, his will, his determination, his focus were beyond awesome (and I am not even a fan).

If you really need a translation for that @AgusNC quote above: Max won the title (and rightfully so) because he was the fastest driver over the whole season. If Lewis would haven taken it in the last race without that safety car triggered by Latifi (and he would have without, hands down, on that part I do agree), then it would have been the fastest car taking the drivers title, not the fastest driver. With a pace rating of 99 vs 98 this may be reflected in the in game stats, but hardly so.

Unfortunately there never was a rule in F1 like in horse riding, where you get a random competitors horse to show everyone that you can do it on that horseback as well - but boy would it be interesting to watch. So we will never find out, but it is obvious that Mercedes had the better car over all the season (and rightfully claimed the constructors championship) while Max has shown the most consistent, talented, fastest drive all year - despite having 3 races less to score (without his fault), basically.

Edited by Schneehase
1 hour ago, Schneehase said:

Can not comply - no championship is won in a single race, let alone in a single lap. Max had to be there race after race, lap after lap, even in times when his tyre blew without his fault, or when his competitor shunted him into the wall / hospital, or when Valtteri played at skittles... He never faltered, he never gave up. Given his age, his speed, his will, his determination, his focus were beyond awesome (and I am not even a fan).

If you really need a translation for that @AgusNC quote above: Max won the title (and rightfully so) because he was the fastest driver over the whole season. If Lewis would haven taken it in the last race without that safety car triggered by Latifi (and he would have without, hands down, on that part I do agree), then it would have been the fastest car taking the drivers title, not the fastest driver. With a pace rating of 99 vs 98 this may be reflected in the in game stats, but hardly so.

Unfortunately there never was a rule in F1 like in horse riding, where you get a random competitors horse to show everyone that you can do it on that horseback as well - but boy would it be interesting to watch. So we will never find out, but it is obvious that Mercedes had the better car over all the season (and rightfully claimed the constructors championship) while Max has shown the most consistent, talented, fastest drive all year - despite having 3 races less to score (without his fault), basically.

There's still a perception that the Merc is a better car than the Red Bull. I don't think that is the case. Honestly, the setups are so track dependent that the Red Bull was the better package at certain weekends. I'm not going to put a figure on it because of second driver inconsistency and you'd have to revisit the penalties to get the true pace picture.

Merc plus Hamilton, Red Bull plus Max. The cars look very equal and ordinary and unable to pull out a massive advantage to the next tier with Ferrari, McLaren and Renault all able to mix it easily across the season. In certain configurations the Toro Rosso also joined that crowd and the Alfas were not out of place over one lap.

Lewis vs Max in the same machinery? Impossible to call, but it is my gut feeling that the result would be somewhat the same fine margins over a season would decide it either way. Nico Rosberg walloped Hamilton in 2016 both figuratively and literally to claim a championship. Ultimately the FIA and Masi delivered the wallop in one fell swoop. We now look at a seven time WDC who has his faith in fairness and the rulebook shaken. I still am unsure that we will see him return to the grid - which would be a terrible way to finish.

Plus, I've got seats for 2022 🙂

56 minutes ago, steviejay69 said:

I still am unsure that we will see him return to the grid - which would be a terrible way to finish.

Agreed, a F1 grid 2022 without Lewis would seem awkward. With Kimi gone as well, that would be quite a few championships driving about less. But: Terrible way to finish - from a fan point of view, or from Lewis POV?

His view on the season might be different than a fans - he has certainly done everything his team and he himself would expect and demand from him, both as a driver and a person.

To continue on the "retirement" argument, it was the very same discussion last year when they were (officially) negotiating a new contract with Lewis. Toto Wolff said in an interview with Austrian television, that they simply would be seperated by so much distance during the winter and had different interests, so that there was no real opportunity to seal things, and I tend to believe (t)his say. However, that is not the issue this year, because Lewis does have a valid contract. He knew in advance that these new rules, new tyres, new distribution of downforce etc would be in place for 2022, so its not that this serves as an argument for him to retire. The same can be said about his expectations about Max rivaling him. Also, Lewis does not give a damn if he has 1 championship more than Schumacher. Schumacher never was an idol for him, and Lewis is leading so many statistics that it simply will not matter (for him! it might for the fans though). He may feel being treated in an unfair way during the last race as he was dominating it, yes, but I would fathom its more Toto Wolff and the Hamilton fans that are disappointed, than Lewis himself. There is a video on youtube showing Lewis sitting in his car after that final lap for like 50 seconds, slightly shaking his head as he probably went throught that last lap of the race again. If you ask me, he was done with it the moment he unlocked the seatbelt and got out of his car. If you follow his podium interview right after, you get the same impression.

Media is overdoing things because there is quite a fan anticipation for 2022, but until the test drives / car presentations happen, there is nothing more to report. Any bet, Lewis is just taking his usual time off, bothering with his other businesses and having a long walk with Roscoe here and there, and he just does not want to hear of F1 until he needs to, when he can finally sit in the new car for 2022. By then, he will be as keen and as sharp as he has been every year since he entered F1, and he will certainly need to be, to compete with Max (and not to forget with George Russell).

If anything, if Mercedes does not come out on top 2022 and the car is not too competitive (which personally I think is unlikely) and Max wins another championship with a large margin, it might be that Lewis decides he has seen enough now and turns to something else of interest. But not for 2022.

My apologies for the OT above, since this is the driver ratings thread - so here goes:

Russells stats simply dont feel right for me - his pace should be in the ballpark with drivers like Gasly or Norris, and he certainly is not slower than a Schumacher or Perez. I have not calculated it, but a Russell pace in the high 80ies should fit better. Looking at the other drivers, the same can be said about Ocon's pace stat, and I have to say that both Schumacher's and Perez' pace stat feel somewhat too high at the moment. What about these pace stats:

Schumacher 80
Ocon 82
Perez 85
Russell 88

I would think these reflect reality way better and I am ready hearing arguments for / against it.

Edited by Schneehase
2 minutes ago, Schneehase said:

Agreed, a F1 grid 2022 without Lewis would seem awkward. With Kimi gone as well, that would be quite a few championships driving about less. But: Terrible way to finish - from a fan point of view, or from Lewis POV?

His view on the season might be different than a fans - he has certainly done everything his team and he himself would expect and demand from him, both as a driver and a person.

To continue on the "retirement" argument, it was the very same discussion last year when they were (officially) negotiating a new contract with Lewis. Toto Wolff said in an interview with Austrian television that they simply would be seperated by so much distance during the winter and had different interests, so that there was no real opportunity to seal things, and I tend to believe (t)his say. However, that is not the issue this year, because Lewis does have a valid contract. He knew in advance that these new rules, new tyres, new distribution of downforce would be in place 2022 so its not that this serves as an argument for him to retire. The same can be said about his expectations about Max rivaling him. Also, Lewis does not give a damn if he has 1 championship more than Schumacher. Schumacher was never an idol for him, and Lewis is leading so many statictics it simply will not matter (for him! it might for the fans though). He may feel being treated in an unfair way during the last race, yes, but I would fathom its more Toto Wolff and the Hamilton fans that are disappointed, than Lewis himself. There is a video on youtube showing Lewis sitting in his car after that final lap for like 50 seconds, slightly shaking his head as he probably went throught the last lap of the race again. If you ask me, he was done with it the moment he unlocked the seatbelt and got out of his car. If you follow his podium interview right after, you get the same impression.

Media is overdoing things because there is quite a fan anticipation for 2022, but until the test drives / car presentations happen, there is nothing more to report. Any bet, Lewis is just taking his usual time off, bothering with his other businesses and having a long walk with Roscoe here and there, and he just does not want to hear of F1 until he needs to, when he can finally sit in the new car for 2022. By then, he will be as keen and as sharp as he has been every year since he entered F1, and he will certainly need to be to compete with Max (and not to forget with George Russell).

If anything, if Mercedes does not come out on top 2022 and the car is not too competitive (which personally I think is unlikely) and Max wins another championship with a large margin, it might be that Lewis decides he has seen enough now and turns to something else of interest. But not for 2022.

Fan point of view, but I think they would understand in the main. F1 would lose a lot of followers.

I don't think he was done with what happened immediately after the race, I think it takes time to sink in. You could see that it was Mercedes leading the appeals and it was at Lewis' behest that they ceased and desisted because as is often the case, the moment has passed. It would not serve anyone well to have taken the result to court (not that I think that they would have lost necessarily). Ultimately, I think Mercedes needed to show they would have gone the distance for Lewis - and it's not in doubt, but I think they were rocked by Rosberg's decision in 2016 and that is where a lot of the uncertainty stems from.

I totally get that he needed to find a headspace away from this circus for as long as it takes. Problem with open ended situations is they can become permanent very easily. It would be easy to 'come back fighting' (using anger as an energy) but I don't think the guy is wired that way. As you put it, he's emulated his hero - he needs do no more, he doesn't care for the Schumacher numbers (he's beaten the significant or headline ones anyway), yes he is contracted but I don't think Mercedes would penalise him for breach of contract, (they'd possibly not pay him at worst) but I also think they would leave the door open for him to continue or return as a brand ambassador or possibly "a.n. other" position of his choosing.

I think 2022 season holds less weight than you think.

• Agree 1
19 minutes ago, Schneehase said:

Russells stats simply dont feel right for me - his pace should be in the ballpark with drivers like Gasly or Norris, and he certainly is not slower than a Schumacher or Perez. I have not calculated it, but a Russell pace in the high 80ies should fit better. Looking at the other drivers, the same can be said about Ocon's pace stat, and I have to say that both Schumacher's and Perez' pace stat feel somewhat too high at the moment. What about these pace stats:

Schumacher 80
Ocon 82
Perez 85
Russell 88

I would think these reflect reality way better and I am ready hearing arguments for / against it.

Maybe someone has an opinion on the Russell stats issue as well? Or is that just me? And about the margin between VER and HAM being a bit too close in pace stat?