Sign in to follow this  

DiRT Rally Road Book - 13/11/15

Original post here: https://www.dirtgame.com/blog/5219

Well here we are again, another week over and another Road Book to write. It has been another busy one both in the studio and around the Rally community as we have geared up for the start of Wales Rally GB.

Road Trip

@Hatward and I loaded the D-Box and all the gear into a Transit van first thing on Monday morning. Having learned from our mistakes in France we made sure that we had plenty of fuel and set off to Deeside in sunny Wales. Except the only sunshine we saw was the liquid kind. Despite our best efforts we have no amusing anecdotes or stories to come back with. We got everything set up at the Colin McRae Tribute stand without any hiccups and as far as we know everything is running smoothly up there.

If you are going to Wales Rally GB this weekend make sure you stop by the stand as it has some amazing Colin McRae memorabilia on display. Some of the most notable elements are some of his race suits, the podium from his 1995 Rally GB victory, his Subaru Impreza 555 and his Ford Focus in full Safari trim. This really is a once in a lifetime tribute to the great man and well worth the trip.

If you do happen to drop by the stand make sure you have a go on the D-Box. You’ll need to make a donation to do so but it is for a great cause and if you set a great time you are in with a chance of winning some amazing prizes including a Prodrive experience day and tickets to Car Fest so its well worth taking your DiRT Rally skills and putting them to some charitable use.

Stuttering

We think we have got a handle on what is causing this however we need to get it tested to make sure that our fix is working. We are about to get some players who have been suffering from the issue a special build to see if it solves it. If it does then we will make sure it gets rolled out into the next update. As always, our sincerest apologies to those of you this is affecting your patience is very much appreciated.

Soft Edges

Last week I talked about the Sweden stages and the fact that we have incorporated soft edges to better represent how the car interacts with the snow banks at the edge of the road. These still feel great and I’m confident that you will enjoy what we have done with these.

We had thought that we were going to be able to roll these out across Monte Carlo too but we have encountered some serious issues that have meant that we need to rework the way that we are doing these. Unfortunately this means that it is highly unlikely that Monte Carlo will have softer snow banks in the Winter Wonderland pack but we are still looking to get them in at a later date. I guess this is one of the examples of where being honest and open can come back to bite. I hope this news isn’t too disappointing for those of you who had been hoping for this improvement.

That’s all for this week, I hope you enjoy Wales Rally GB this weekend!

Nice read, I hope u get things sorted with Monte Carlo road banks, no rush though :)
@KickUp will the new cars in Winter Wonderland update have their authentic engine sounds?

Thank. Great job..!!                                                           

sqdstr said:
Nice read, I hope u get things sorted with Monte Carlo road banks, no rush though :)
@KickUp will the new cars in Winter Wonderland update have their authentic engine sounds?

We did get to do a recording session with one of them ;)

@KickUp the Polo WRC ? :smiley:

Group B upgrade? Audi S1? Would you please. There is Lancia S4, Peugeot 205 is evo2 because it has wings so why not most powerful S1?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDRkHXMHqFo#t=116

Nice to hear about Sweden and I'm too dar away to get to ser the rally.
But the best news for me is to read that you'll be staying to make further changes and improvements after Winter Wonderland, and that is a big plus. Dirt Rally: money best spent.
YOU GUYS ROCK! DON'T CUT, BE BRAVE!!

About softer edges. I feel that the edges throughout the wales stages are rock hard, but in fact are just piles of gravel. Any change in this coming? Anyone taking else noticed this?

About softer edges. I feel that the edges throughout the wales stages are rock hard, but in fact are just piles of gravel. Any change in this coming? Anyone taking else noticed this?
in greece too,

the dev's know the problem and in future (not soon) they will try to fix it

the stuttering is a disaster, you guys should read steam forums, its important to address STEAM, its the main selling platform for all games.

Stuttering

We think we have got a handle on what is causing this however we need to get it tested to make sure that our fix is working. We are about to get some players who have been suffering from the issue a special build to see if it solves it. If it does then we will make sure it gets rolled out into the next update. As always, our sincerest apologies to those of you this is affecting your patience is very much appreciated.

easy fix, quit writing replay to RAM, just because engineers think its a good idea , its not

3473R said:
Stuttering

easy fix, quit writing replay to RAM, just because engineers think its a good idea , its not

It's actually nothing to do with that but thanks for your input. 

Hm, moving replays to RAM fixed most of my stutter. ;D So, y'know...  Wondering what's causing stutter for others, though. 

Serious issues with applying Soft Edges to Monte? Hm, interesting.

for me the ice in monte carlo felt too grippy, but the banks being forgiving vs not never was either here nor there for me.

cant wait for more content from you guys!!!! this game is absurdly great

For anyone thinking "those verges in Wales should be softer, they don't cause accidents when you clip them....."

https://youtu.be/Xj3jzjsU7xo

For anyone thinking "those verges in Wales should be softer, they don't cause accidents when you clip them....."
http://forums.codemasters.com/discussion/19018/improvement-snow-gravel-roadside-banks-and-other-objects/p1
I'm willing to bet more often than not, nothing comes of bumping those mounds than what happened in that clip. And it's not as if him hitting that initially did all the damage. The car didn't actually get thrown off course that bad, more of the fact you had a slippery, very narrow spot with a log pile right next to the road. Love it when devs themselves admit they're not happy about something but others still try to justify the behavior in game.

https://youtu.be/Xj3jzjsU7xo

I was going to post that same video -along with statements like: Plz fix sux physix now. lol  
Apologies for the other hick-ups not necessary. Can't wait for winter wonderland (in the game, that is).  

KickUp said:
 I guess this is one of the examples of where being honest and open can come back to bite. I hope this news isn’t too disappointing for those of you who had been hoping for this improvement.
I think it's the opposite ;) Sure, it's not like we're jumping around being happy it won't be implemented, but I at least more than appreciate that you notified us about the steps you took when trying to implement them as well. Especially when it still may added at a later date ;)
Small details in communicating like this a really matter. I personally find it better if you inform you'll be trying to implement some changes and later on inform that you won't be able to do that in the next update, rather than completely ignoring the subject.
3473R said:
the stuttering is a disaster, you guys should read steam forums, its important to address STEAM, its the main selling platform for all games.
All? Witcher 3 alone proves it's not and that's without even touching on the subject of consoles, which dominate the sales :p Next time make sure to write it as "nearly all PC games" ;)

I thought he hit a large tree-stump?