2019 FIA World Rally Championship

38 minutes ago, juu1ius said:

Tbh there is quite clear line - on stage tempering, like the one they were planning, can cause accidents, it can go as far as some one ramming other car out or pulling deliberately putting rocks on the stage. I've heard stories where spectators have tried to help their favorite or local drivers by messing with competition (lowering flags or trowing rocks at cars) - I hope these are just some stories and not true, but you get the point. While off stage tactics the driver knows exactly what is going on and can cope with that or expect it and maybe even work against it like it has happen before. I agree it's stupid both ways, but it's hard to close all the loop holes. Also, Ogier has been part of the team tactics on both sides - helping Loeb and other helping him for long time, so I don't believe he was ****** at Hyundai. 

Sordo said he's lying about that, that none of what Ogier says is true

25 minutes ago, juu1ius said:

Tbh there is quite clear line - on stage tempering, like the one they were planning, can cause accidents, it can go as far as some one ramming other car out or pulling deliberately putting rocks on the stage. I've heard stories where spectators have tried to help their favorite or local drivers by messing with competition (lowering flags or trowing rocks at cars) - I hope these are just some stories and not true, but you get the point. While off stage tactics the driver knows exactly what is going on and can cope with that or expect it and maybe even work against it like it has happen before. I agree it's stupid both ways, but it's hard to close all the loop holes. Also, Ogier has been part of the team tactics on both sides - helping Loeb and other helping him for long time, so I don't believe he was ****** at Hyundai. 

There is indeed a clear difference between the danger each of those creates. But both have the same goal in mind which is to get an advantage over your rivals. Not all loopholes should be closed. Let's say that teamorders are no longer allowed on the final day of the rally. I think that might be a great change to the rules. That way the end result can't be changed after the final stage has been completed for example. That would eliminate both on stage tactics completely and won't affect the end result so drastically. They would only be able to try something out a tactic to get an advantage on the final day but not the end result.

In the early days he was indeed the one that moved aside for the number one driver, Loeb. But do you remember Germany 2011? That's when everything changed. He no longer wanted to let Loeb pass by on the leaderboards. It's from that moment on he changed and no longer was the humble Frenchman we knew and loved. And I believe that in Portugal he was miffed that Hyundai put Sordo between himself and Neuville in order to provide Thierry with a possible advantage. And once he heard about the tactic of Sordo stopping in the stage and restarting just in front of Meeke, he saw an opportunity to put Hyundai in a bad daylight. It's not like the whole team wanted to use that tactic. As far as I can understand, it was just Adamo suggesting that tactic. The suggested tactic was thrown out of the window almost immediately by Sordo and I presume many others as well.

There is no logical reason as to why Ogier would spread that news during the press conference because it was never a tactic that was put into action. No harm, no foul. And you can say: "But what if it had been put into action and something had happened?" Those type of 'What if'-questions are used to talk about an impossible past (third conditional for the grammar officers in the room). It's the same as asking the question: "What if Germany had won WWII?" Those questions are pointless as there is no way to find out what the result of that would have been.

35 minutes ago, SimVansevenant said:

Source?

I would like to see that also, I've only seen translations from on article that I've already posted here and there can be some things missing from translations. Sordo stated that he doesn't understand why Ogier is talking something that didn't happened but he accepts the compliments - for me it meant that it was discussed but it didn't happen. How knows why Ogier  brought up that topic - maybe to prevent these actions in future or maybe idd just to but Hyundai into bad light. Amado is ruthless guy and he was put in charge to win titles, I wouldn't be surprised if it was discussed. 

Even thou I'm from Tänak Army, I do hope Hyundai takes at least on title - if they don't i'm afraid they would leave and that's bad for the whole series. 

1 hour ago, juu1ius said:

I would like to see that also, I've only seen translations from on article that I've already posted here and there can be some things missing from translations. Sordo stated that he doesn't understand why Ogier is talking something that didn't happened but he accepts the compliments - for me it meant that it was discussed but it didn't happen. How knows why Ogier  brought up that topic - maybe to prevent these actions in future or maybe idd just to but Hyundai into bad light. Amado is ruthless guy and he was put in charge to win titles, I wouldn't be surprised if it was discussed. 

Even thou I'm from Tänak Army, I do hope Hyundai takes at least on title - if they don't i'm afraid they would leave and that's bad for the whole series. 

If that is the way Sordo reacted then it's as follows. Sordo says such a tactic was never discussed at any point in time. He does accept the compliment of him being a great guy basically.

I was just about to watch the part of the press conference where Ogier talked about it on my Twitterfeed which is the one you linked on the previous page and I can't watch it anymore. It must have been taken down. I've looked for that video elsewhere as well but can't find it anymore. I think that says it all to be honest. It looks like it has backfired in a serious way.

Anyone watching the Rally Italia Sardegna? Quite interesting battle going on and have to say, would be a bit different kind of location for new DLC...

Posted (edited)

pretty cool video 🙂

Edited by juu1ius

Amazing race going on here in Finland. So tight race and drivers are enjoying fast roads. It's a bit cold at the moment but atmosphere is great. Drivers going really on the edge, like we all do in the dirt rally 2.0 :classic_laugh:

• Like 2

Yeahhh, what a race so far... 4 drivers within a 3sec gap after SS10... Waiting for the Finland remake in DR2.0 just to see if i'm on par with these WRC drivers 😄

• Like 1

Right now from Finland. Meeke had a great run at Päijälä stage. Full of high speed corners, jumps and crests Meeke laughed and did show he's shaking hands. That's what i would call dirty driving. So fun to see drivers laughing at the end of stages.

What a great superspecial and huge jump's to end this rally. Really enjoyed this weekend and now it's time to drive dirt rally 2.0. Hoping some dirty news to get Finland at season 3 and if some says that jump's are unrealistic, watch superspecial. Loving rally     

• Agree 1

With Tänak moving to Hyundai and speculation over Ogier and Neuville's future, I guess it's time to revive this thread and stop posting in the RX thread. 

• Haha 2

Tänak made the announcement today. It's a shame but I wish him good luck.

Edited by richie
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Pfei said:

With Tänak moving to Hyundai and speculation over Ogier and Neuville's future, I guess it's time to revive this thread and stop posting in the RX thread. 

And now it has a proper name and tag 🙂 

This forum should mainly stay DiRT-focused, but given how many hardcore motorsport fans we have here, 2 real-life threads are okay for me 🙂 

Any spinoffs like Titans RX, ARX etc., stick them in one of these threads.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, PJTierney said:

🙂

Any spinoffs like Titans RX, ARX etc., stick them in one of these threads.

Maybe just have "2020 Rally" and "2020 Rallycross" threads next year? 

15 hours ago, Pfei said:

What speculation about Neuville's future? He's still under contract for 2 more seasons at Hyundai and he's already confirmed for a full championship next season.

https://www.wrc.com/en/wrc/news/september-2018/neuville-hyundai-contract/page/5722--12-12-.html

"Ott will join Thierry for a full season, while Dani and Sébastien will share the third car throughout the year. We also remain in discussion with Andreas and Craig regarding a possible WRC collaboration in 2020."

https://motorsport.hyundai.com/ott-signs-for-two-years/

13 hours ago, tbtstt said:

Maybe just have "2020 Rally" and "2020 Rallycross" threads next year? 

Once these seasons end I'll probably rename them to Real-Life Rally/Rallycross.

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, sqdstr said:

What speculation about Neuville's future? He's still under contract for 2 more seasons at Hyundai and he's already confirmed for a full championship next season.

https://www.wrc.com/en/wrc/news/september-2018/neuville-hyundai-contract/page/5722--12-12-.html

"Ott will join Thierry for a full season, while Dani and Sébastien will share the third car throughout the year. We also remain in discussion with Andreas and Craig regarding a possible WRC collaboration in 2020."

https://motorsport.hyundai.com/ott-signs-for-two-years/

Yes, everyone is aware of that. But the rumor mill refuses to consider Thierry locked in just yet. Hyundai hiring Ott was basically a no-confidence vote in Neuville. 

We know from F1 that contracts are made to be broken. 

Hence, the speculation. 

4 hours ago, Pfei said:

Yes, everyone is aware of that. But the rumor mill refuses to consider Thierry locked in just yet. Hyundai hiring Ott was basically a no-confidence vote in Neuville. 

We know from F1 that contracts are made to be broken. 

Hence, the speculation. 

I still disagree because if there is no faith in Neuville then he wouldn't be allowed to drive a full championship and he would get a part time role like Sordo & Loeb. Adamo himself said he is still very much pleased with Neuville's work, his input for the team and professionalism.

The only 2 people now who will have doubts about their future because of Ott's signing, are Mikkelsen & Breen.

Neuville was still their best shot at a title regardless, so it makes sense to have him for a full season.

With the terrible bushfire situation, I think the organizers should stop insisting running this Mickey Mouse four-stage rally and release the firefighters, doctors and security personnel to attend to the people losing their lives and their homes. 

Maybe just do some exhibitions in Coffs Harbour as a farewell. 

I think trying to squeeze in a rally in these conditions is a terrible idea. 

• Agree 1