2019 FIA World Rally Championship

Here is an interesting thought. Unless all the top 5 retires we are guaranteed to have a new Rally winner. I'm hoping for either Lappi or Suninen to win

Ogier and Ingrassia not to restart tomorrow, so no Power Stage points for them then, must've been a pretty bad hit for Julien.
https://www.facebook.com/MSportLtd/photos/a.108349819208079.4742.106632069379854/1589320547777658/?type=3&theater

https://twitter.com/jokinen_samuel/status/891591712124096512

End of Suninen’s rally couldn’t have been any closer than this. Fortunately he managed to finish the stage and is now in 4th with only Power Stage to go but he’s out of reach for podium... It will be a tight battle between Evans and Hänninen though with only 0.9s seperating them!

Yesterday was very unfortunate for Latvala but I have to give Lappi credit for his blistering performance. I really didn’t expect that his maiden win is only one stage away in his 4th(!) rally with a WRC car! I, like many others, have always known that he is talented and a future superstar but you can’t deny that his performance in this rally has been outstanding.

What a great rally! Incredible comeback from Evans to finish 2nd and at the same unfortunate for Hänninen to lose by +0.3s but a great drive nonetheless. Lappi’s first win is an amazing achievement and I just can’t wait to see his performance in 2018!

Lappi's reaction to winning is pretty telling of what to expect for 2018; he immediately started talking about needing to learn more and get better. He's not kidding about going for the title in 2018.

Finally back home from the weekend! 1200 km in total for the trip to the rally and back home, Friday 16h on the stages, saturday 15h. Urria 1&2, Laukaa 1&2, Ouninpohja 1 (WRC + vetomies) and Päijälä 2 (Vetomies + WRC)

Also found Kris in the service park on thursday after Harju. Took a selfie 

gheeD said:
Finally back home from the weekend! 1200 km in total for the trip to the rally and back home, Friday 16h on the stages, saturday 15h. Urria 1&2, Laukaa 1&2, Ouninpohja 1 (WRC + vetomies) and Päijälä 2 (Vetomies + WRC)

Also found Kris in the service park on thursday after Harju. Took a selfie 

Awesome! Pretty much sounds like my trip to Rally Finland in 2014 when I was on the stages every day. This year I was on Ouninpohja 1 & 2 only but a great trip once again!

Have to say that the Yaris WRC is the best looking car in real life. Latvala’s car broke down just a few hundred meters before the place where I was in so I was able to get a closer look at the car :)

What an event it was :) I drove through Ounipohja reversed stage today, the one we have in Dirt Rally is easy mode compared to the real one :o Mad respect to the drivers. 
BTW, I visited a pizza place in Jyväskylä yesterday and just had to order kebab pizza :D

I went to see Jukojarvi 2 on Friday and oh boy, the sheer speed and level of grip of the new WRC cars was nothing less than astonishing. Those beasts made the WRC 2 class car to look like your daily driver with stickers on. Seeing those new WRC cars was really amazing and now that I think about it, it's a bit sad because we're not able to drive those things in DiRT 4. Now DiRT 4's R5s just feel underwhelming...

Anyways, I was able to take some photos and here's a couple of 'em. The WRC cars were able to drive the stage in dry conditions but then it started to rain and when it was time for Junior WRC cars to pass the point the road was soaking wet. In case you're interested in checking the rest of the photos out. Here's a link. https://flic.kr/s/aHsm1tsk3g

Kuris said:
I went to see Jukojarvi 2 on Friday and oh boy, the sheer speed and level of grip of the new WRC cars was nothing less than astonishing. Those beasts made the WRC 2 class car to look like your daily driver with stickers on. Seeing those new WRC cars was really amazing and now that I think about it, it's a bit sad because we're not able to drive those things in DiRT 4. Now DiRT 4's R5s just feel underwhelming...

Anyways, I was able to take some photos and here's a couple of 'em. The WRC cars were able to drive the stage in dry conditions but then it started to rain and when it was time for Junior WRC cars to pass the point the road was soaking wet. In case you're interested in checking the rest of the photos out. Here's a link. https://flic.kr/s/aHsm1tsk3g

Great photos! Yes, WRC "Plus" cars are incredible. I watched Rally Finland on RedBull TV and there was Marcus Grönholm as a guest, he was speechless seeing how much these 2017 cars are faster! He said he's also worried because next year he turns 50 and there's a tradition that you compete back in a rally (I think Kankkunen did it) but he doesn't really want because he feels these cars are too fast for him  :D

@carpa Thanks! Yeah those 2017 cars truly are incredible. I've been watching this season on WRC+ and seen the new cars but to see them in real life it was something else. The commentators often spoke of how fast those cars truly are when you see them live and not just on TV/stream and I was a bit like 'they don't seem to be that fast though'. Well, I was wrong :) And the difference between WRC and WRC2 car is. Well, you can't even compare them. Like night and day.

Finland was such a good rally! I was on the edge of my seat the whole time. You can't help but love the Toyota Team and Jari-Matti. Even though I'm rooting for M-Sport because I like Ford I still like the Toyota Team.

https://www.motorsport.com/wrc/news/citroen-shows-interest-in-bringing-loeb-back-to-wrc-937448/

Citroën team principal Matton doesn't rule out a comeback of Seb Loeb in 2018, provided that it will be done properly (with lot of testing). 

carpa said:
https://www.motorsport.com/wrc/news/citroen-shows-interest-in-bringing-loeb-back-to-wrc-937448/

Citroën team principal Matton doesn't rule out a comeback of Seb Loeb in 2018, provided that it will be done properly (with lot of testing). 
Ya, because a lot of testing worked out for them this year. :D

And here is Loeb testing the C3 for the first time https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFMrFiK5Vww

Yep, felt like he confirmed the verdict of the car aswell:
http://www.wrc.com/en/wrc/news/august-2017/loeb-test/page/4765--12-12-.html

“The first feeling was that it was a bit of a racing car on a rally stage. When it’s full dry, it’s fast and efficient, but in tricky conditions it would be nice to improve a bit the driveability and make it easier to drive,”

Kuris said:

Completely missed this: great post and some excellent photos! I am yet to see the 2017 WRCars in action and, the more I hear from people who have seen them, the more I want to get to a rally.

I know what you mean about the cars in DiRT 4: I really like the R5 class and, given it's such a significant class in National rallying, I'm really glad there are R5's in game... but a part of me does want to see just how fast the 2017 WRCars would be in comparison! 

What our everybody's Germany predictions then?

I'm going for Neville. He's been traditionally fast on tarmac and in Germany, good road position, and the Hyundai looks good on tarmac. Think Sordo could get second, Ogier or latvala third?

I have a feeling that Neuville will win or crasch, and Ogier will be 2nd if Neuville doesn't. Sordo will probably take the lead for a while, then go out on technical issues or fall off when it rains.
Latvala and Lappi will fight for bragging rights of fastest Toyota just below.
Big jokers are the Citroëns. no idea where they'll end up. They can be fast on tarmac, and all the drivers there will charge like crazy if the car works OK for once.

In other news, I thought I'd be competing on the national rally on Rally GB this year, but it looks like my brother will be doing it instead. Whilst a bit disappointing, it means I'll be able to get out on the stages and watch the 2017 beasts throw some Welsh mud about!

https://twitter.com/MSportLtd/status/898122512982319104

As usual no big conclusions from the SD, but the Citroëns seem to be well set up. And the Neuville/Ogier battle will be exciting to follow :-)

Interesting how much slower the times got in the second pass. Neuville and Ogier will have some healthy advantage from their road position on friday.

Sebastien Loeb gave pretty much the same feedback as the other Citroen drivers from his test.The car in slippery conditions has very bad feel and driveability.On dry tarmac he said the car is excellent and very quick.Can't wait too see what he says when he does a gravel test.Especially on a very bumpy,undulating kinda stage where the C3 looks bad.

Also he said he feels he still has the speed and capabilities too be competitive after all the years away.