2020 FIA World Rally Championship

Rallystu2 said:
Do they have full 30 minute or 1hr highlights on redbull?
Depends on the day, but mostly around the 40mins mark

It's too late I've just paid for the wrc all live package. Ima dead man walking when my gf finds out. New game, new wheel, new stand, wrc + package. Oops.

And on the opening night of Monte wrc+ goes down. Someone needs beating over the head with a very large fish. Most annoyed.

Day 3 and still a few seconds between Ogier and Neuville. I expect Seb to pull away a bit more today but we’ll see - I’m sat about 20km into the first stage of the day; it’s the one with the super long straight that caught out loads of people last year.

Yea I think ogier probably has it, Neuville looks a little more erratic. Battle for third will be interesting today and tomorrow though.

Ogier proving it's not the car, it's the drivers that used it in the past.

Didn't expected that TBH.

versedi said:

I think it was always going to be competitive here, Sweden and the gravel rounds will tell more. The Toyota still seems faster, but is either fragile or suffering from an aggressive driving trio.

versedi said:

I think it was always going to be competitive here, Sweden and the gravel rounds will tell more. The Toyota still seems faster, but is either fragile or suffering from an aggressive driving trio.
I think Monte is a rally where the driver, and the experience he has, makes more of a difference compared to other rounds of the Championship. We'll see how this season develops 

So far it's being thrilling to watch and the return of Loeb just adds another variable and another extra spice to it, to see how he manages to score against this new generation of drivers and cars. It'll be even better in Sweden with Marcus Gronholm added to the mix, my money is on him tbh. Let's see if he gets those stomach butterflies like Loeb and decides to come back for a few more rounds.

versedi said:

Bit early to come to that conclusion I reckon.  A) It’s his home event and B ) loads around him having bad luck

Im not sure it’ll be all plain sailing this year.

KevM said:
versedi said:

Bit early to come to that conclusion I reckon.  A) It’s his home event and B ) loads around him having bad luck

But isn't that the thing about Ogier, when others are having bad luck Ogier always manages to get away with small mistakes. He's extremely smart. Pushes when he has too, backs off when needed. 

Loeb proved C3 was decent before, in 2018. I was quite surprised he moved to Hyundai. Citroen lost a big chance of guaranteeing a manufacturer's title this year.

bogani said:
KevM said:
versedi said:

But isn't that the thing about Ogier, when others are having bad luck Ogier always manages to get away with small mistakes. He's extremely smart. Pushes when he has too, backs off when needed. 
Exactly this; he has the perfect mentality to win, knows exactly when to push and when not to. He makes mistakes like everyone else, but they’re rarely costly because he makes them where it’s relatively safe to do so (soft verges, loose banks etc).

I can’t recall who it was, maybe Makinen, who always used to note where spectators would be stood so if he pushed harder and went off in those spots, there’d be people to get the car back on quickly.

versedi said:

I think it might be a bit early to jump to that conclusion. It's been an astounding performance from Ogier so far though, was expecting Neuville to have an edge in the opening rounds. 

The Citroen tends to have a wobble on gravel. Despite some super times set occasionally. Toyota's clearly have the pace this year though. Do they have the consistency though? 

Toyota has the best lineup so far, even though all the brands, except for Ford, are very well balanced.

AIPacino said:
Toyota has the best lineup so far, even though all the brands, except for Ford, are very well balanced.
Depends on your definition of 'best'. It is by far the most exciting line up in the wrc for many years however, they sure have the potential to rack up retirements.

Ott Tanak was the fastest driver in some parts of 2017 and 2018. He's getting even faster now. Meeke feeling confident with the car is also fast as hell (C3 were having good results up until it started getting mechanical failures, in Corsica for example, and then he started losing confidence and crashing). Then you have Latvala who is also fast and quite regular.

The 2nd strongest lineup would be Hyundai, due to Loeb doing half of the season. Mikkelsen seems to be struggling once again.
Lappi is good, but not as experient and still has to explore the new car.

Things are a bit disappointing for Ford. Even though I'm not a big fan of Ford, I can see the struggle and I respect Malcom Wilson quite a lot for what he has done so far for that team ever since he took control in the late 90s. It would be a shame to see such personality leave the WRC.

AIPacino said:
Things are a bit disappointing for Ford. Even though I'm not a big fan of Ford, I can see the struggle and I respect Malcom Wilson quite a lot for what he has done so far for that team ever since he took control in the late 90s. It would be a shame to see such personality leave the WRC.
Yeah, I agree. The best I am expecting from them this year is a few odd podiums. As much as I would love to see them take a win, I think it's unlikely. 

Lots of development done on the Citroen with red bull sponsorship but still to early to see how it performs on gravel with jumps seemed to kill it last year 

Wow, trying to follow All Live on my phone on the train back - what a rally, Neuville putting it on the line these last stages.

Wow, trying to follow All Live on my phone on the train back - what a rally, Neuville putting it on the line these last stages.
I’m trying to follow it with a monster hangover. Unsurprisingly I missed my 7.20 alarm for the first stage this morning

I never would have predicted Monte would be this close, 0.4 seconds going into the power stage is incredible! Monte is usually won on tyre choices, not like this