2020 FIA World Rally Championship

1 hour ago, Dytut said:

Mikkelsen has had a season of ups and downs, but I guess he still might have one last season to show if he still has the potential.

I dunno man, I was thinking the same thing, but he finished fifth in the standing despite sitting out three rallies. It's also interesting that Sordo was "best of the rest" despite also having a partial program. 

Yeah Mikkelsen is still a solid points scorer for any team, it depends a lot on what M-Sports aim is for the 2020 season. Was 2019 a just a sleeper season and they'll go full on for titles in 2020?

If they go for manufacturers title with three drivers, I'd say Mikkelsen is a a solid option as a nr.2 or 3 driver as he will score points. 

If they want rally wins, I'm not so sure. He _might_ still have it in him to challenge for a drivers title, but he seems to be in the Latvala place where he can do it on one or two rallies per season but in general he'll break the car in some way if he tries to keep pace with the top trio. 

If M-Sport goes for development they might go with Suninen and Greensmith and let other drivers hire a car for a few rallies. 

Interesting that the specifically call out not having Ogier as the reason for pulling out.

Looking at the standings, and their quote about requiring a "first class driver", they're basically saying that without Ogier, Tanak or Neuville there's no point in competing.

They have blamed all the drivers that have been in C3 , ogier joined and still couldn’t drive it, to say ogier leaving to Toyota is the reason is ridiculous, if I was him i would be leaving for Toyota also, it’s the best car. Citroen are better off pulling out because they are wasting their time with that car anyway, going to be a lot of drivers without drives next year. 

• Agree 2

6 hours ago, PJTierney said:

Interesting that the specifically call out not having Ogier as the reason for pulling out.

"Interesting"? I think their press release is downright disrespectful!

Typical of the (recent) Citroen program to yet again blame events on a driver rather than holding their hands up and admitting the program has been a disaster and they have built the biggest dog since the BX 4TC. 

• Agree 1

So Citroen builds a bad car, blames the drivers for sucking, gets the best driver and it still sucks, so blame the driver. Yeah, nice going. 

Sucks to lose a marque for the championship, hope one or two new will join up for the hybrid era.

Toyotas lineup with Ogier, Evans and Rovanperä will be interesting to say the least. I can see no better environment for Kalle to learn how to be a champ 🙂 

• Agree 2

So Ogier, Evans and Rovanperä confirmed at Toyota, where do we think the rest of the field will fall? 

I'd love to see Meeke and/or Breen at M-Sport, but I wonder if they have the funding to make it happen? 

On 11/28/2019 at 12:20 AM, PJTierney said:

Here's the state of play:

image.png

man they really need to entice more manufacturers into the WRC. Three teams is so few. Things have not been this bad since around the 2008 financial crisis when there were only two teams left in the WRC. in the late 90s/early 2000s there were 8-9 teams in the WRC at one stage.

Edited by Tranzitive
  • Agree 1

On 11/27/2019 at 4:20 PM, PJTierney said:

Here's the state of play:

image.png

Meeke and Suninen.

Third car split between Breen and Paddon.

No seat for Lappi or Mikkelsen.

You heard it wrong here first folks!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Disagree 1

4 hours ago, SquadBruce said:

Meeke and Suninen.

Third car split between Breen and Paddon.

No seat for Lappi or Mikkelsen.

You heard it wrong here first folks!

Meeke and Malcolm don't quite gel, do they? 

I'd wager a guess that it's Suninen and Breen, and the third car will be split between different drivers. Paddon, Mikkelsen, Ostberg, Lappi. Your pick 😉 

On 11/29/2019 at 8:49 PM, Dytut said:

Meeke and Malcolm don't quite gel, do they? 

I'd wager a guess that it's Suninen and Breen, and the third car will be split between different drivers. Paddon, Mikkelsen, Ostberg, Lappi. Your pick 😉 

Chuck in Tidemand and Greensmith and they can have an arm wrestle competition to see who's in each event 😂

1 hour ago, SquadBruce said:

Chuck in Tidemand and Greensmith and they can have an arm wrestle competition to see who's in each event 😂

Greensmith is a possibility, he did show potential. Tidemand... naah. I sadly don't think he has what it takes, was just too slow.

17 hours ago, Dytut said:

Greensmith is a possibility, he did show potential. Tidemand... naah. I sadly don't think he has what it takes, was just too slow.

Tidemand was one of those who was super quick in WRC2 but never went any quicker in a WRC.

Been a few of them over the years!

On 11/29/2019 at 6:40 PM, PJTierney said:

Makinen in 4th Toyota 😉 

Actually Latvala is going to drive about 5 races if he can get sponsors. Sweden and Finland atleast. Then there is Katsuta who is going to drive Toyota in the 2nd team I guess. Suninen should be Ford driver for next year and i hope Lappi will get that 2nd spot from Ford. Greensmith could be 3rd driver.