2020 FIA World Rally Championship

Unfortunately, whilst there have been lots of winners this season, although it was exciting, it only really helped Ogier extend his lead
Still better than having him win every single round though, at least in my opinion.

Unfortunately, whilst there have been lots of winners this season, although it was exciting, it only really helped Ogier extend his lead
Still better than having him win every single round though, at least in my opinion.
Yeah. I've treated this years WRC as a series of individual events rather than a Championship. The overall result was a foregone conclusion, but the individual event results where interesting. 

I hope all the winners from 2016 will be able to consistently challenge in 2017.

tbtstt said:
Yeah. I've treated this years WRC as a series of individual events rather than a Championship. The overall result was a foregone conclusion, but the individual event results where interesting. 

I hope all the winners from 2016 will be able to consistently challenge in 2017.
Same - Meeke's performance in Finland was amazing though, as well as Paddon's in Argentina.

tbtstt said:

Same - Meeke's performance in Finland was amazing though, as well as Paddon's in Argentina.
Tänak in Poland before his tyres gave up aswell.

Yeah I have pretty much given up on the championship as a whole. Both drivers and manufacturers. I usually only follow the individual rallies. And when a win in a single rally is celebrated like if one wins the whole championship you know the wrc is struggling.

Well this year many have shown they have the speed to battle with Ogier, but none have had the consistency to battle for the championship. But I'm cautiously optimistic for 2017.

Latvala is fast and crashes. Been doing this his whole career, don't think he'll do better next year.
Mikkelsen goes either a bit too slow or crashes out. Quite consistent but often not fast enough to challenge Ogier.
Neuville got back to form in the latter half and can be a real threat next year.
Paddon has been steadily getting better, still not fast enough of tarmac. 
Sordo is consistent like Ogier, but usually not as fast as him. Much like Mikkelsen.
Meeke is a wildcard for 2017. He's shown a really impressive pace on all events he's entered this year. Still a bit prone to crash, but if he can keep his wits about him it's going to be interesting.
Breen and Lefebvre will probably not be competetive next season but will probably reel in points for citroen.
Tänak show great speed at times, but so hard to judge how fast he can be since the DMACKs puts him in a different situation. 
Östberg is pretty much just... average. 
We have no idea what the Toyota drivers will do next year, but doubt they'll be challenging Ogier for the title.

I still think Ogier will win in 2017, probably with Meeke and Neuville challenging him a bit more tightly than this season. Mikkelsen (if he can get a slight speed boost), Latvala (if he stops breaking the car) and Paddon (if he can get the speed up on tarmac) might challenge them. That's my gut feeling at least.

WRC2 championship is really nail-bitting, there are 4 drivers who have a lot of chances to be the champion and in wales everyone except Evans Will race, so show secured there

It's definitely not Ogier's fault that the Championship looks like this. FIA tried to curb him by changing starting order rules but it failed. He is simply the best atm.

In other news: http://www.wrc.com/en/wrc/news/october-2016/hanninen-toyota/page/3993--12-12-.html

Oh yeah definitely, I just meant it has been a fight over second place in the championship rather than a fight for first. It's been a good season though!

Hänninen confirmed for Toyota. No big surprise since he's been testing. Not that exciting per se, probably a stability choice. Hopefully the other two spots will be up and coming WRC2 drivers. Lappi and Tidemand would be great, but I suspect it will be Suninen and Lappi.

Dytut said:
Hänninen confirmed for Toyota. No big surprise since he's been testing. Not that exciting per se, probably a stability choice. Hopefully the other two spots will be up and coming WRC2 drivers. Lappi and Tidemand would be great, but I suspect it will be Suninen and Lappi.
Makinen keeping the places for scandinavians. Miser (sknera) :P

Rumor has it that Robert Kubica could be driving a third Toyota in seven rounds of the WRC campaign (if Toyota decides to sign up a third car). But it is just a rumor atm...

Could be true, Kubica has a lot of experience (mostly in how to crash). Might be that he'll share a car with one of the WRC2 guys.

PaloSamo said:
He was crashing a lot because he was pushing beyond the limits. Colin was crashing a lot too.
Colin was quite a bit quicker when he was pushing really hard compared to Kubica. Also Kubica never really was/is a contender for a win in the WRC. Just being factual here, I don't want to offend anyone.

Kubica never had an advantage of a works team car, yet he was sometimes winning stages. He smashed the opposition in WRC-2 though. I like both Colin and Robert, flat out all the way :) 

PaloSamo said:
He was crashing a lot because he was pushing beyond the limits. Colin was crashing a lot too.
Colin was quite a bit quicker when he was pushing really hard compared to Kubica. Also Kubica never really was/is a contender for a win in the WRC. Just being factual here, I don't want to offend anyone.
Just imagine you driving a WRC in one hand literally, and wining stages in a Fiesta which is the slowest car, Toyota and M-Sport want Robert because it is the best best driver you can have for developing the car in tarmac, also on gravel. 

PaloSamo said:
Just imagine you driving a WRC in one hand literally, and wining stages in a Fiesta which is the slowest car, Toyota and M-Sport want Robert because it is the best best driver you can have for developing the car in tarmac, also on gravel. 
I'd agree but the problem is they don't. The place is for the top payer/relative at least in the M-Sport. Toyota seems to be full with scandinavians which was pretty much sure since everyone knew who was doing some tests for them. 

My three cents - I'm a bit suprised why Toyota didn't reached to Kubica earlier. He had much experience in developing the car in F1 which I think could be really useful for them.

versedi said:
PaloSamo said:
I'd agree but the problem is they don't. The place is for the top payer/relative at least in the M-Sport. Toyota seems to be full with scandinavians which was pretty much sure since everyone knew who was doing some tests for them. 

My three cents - I'm a bit suprised why Toyota didn't reached to Kubica earlier. He had much experience in developing the car in F1 which I think could be really useful for them.
Toyota needs him because Hanninen is no good on tarmac, is a just ok driver in gravel, and Lappi or Suninen need to get experience in order to develop a car. Suninen have 3 years rallying and 2 in a 4wd, Tanak said that after driving the 2017 car, driving actual wrc Cars were like driving a Group N car, imagine jumping from the R5 and try to develop it, really though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p42zmLQx1I4

Makinen testing Toyota Yaris WRC 2017   

Who's amping for Wales!? I'd love to see at least two of the Hyundai's finish ahead of Mikkelsen & Latvala at the end of the season - so hoping for a great showing from them in Wales.
Slightly surprised they've picked Sordo ahead of Paddon for the Shell team - but hopefully it gives him the freedom to push for a good result. 
Although in reality I think Meeke has the best shot for a win this weekend due to road position.

Highlights of the 2017 broadcast plans are:

• More programmes available to broadcasters, including more and regular live action shows. 
• Extended coverage of the victory podium following live screening of Sunday’s rally-closing Power Stage.
• Increased analysis and behind-the-scenes insight, featuring interviews with drivers and experts.
• Additional news content, particularly for the WRC 2 and Junior WRC support categories, with tailor-made programmes for broadcast partners to cover national interests.

Live WRC returns to free-to-air TV in Britain

Fans in Britain have the opportunity watch live action from this week’s Dayinsure Wales Rally GB (27 - 30 October) on both free to-air and pay TV networks for the first time in more than a decade.

BT Sport and terrestrial broadcaster Channel 5 will both screen extended coverage from Sunday’s (30 October) rally-concluding Brenig Power Stage, which starts at 12.08 GMT.

The Channel 5 network will also show daily highlights of Friday and Saturday's action from the 12th and penultimate fixture, as well as a post-event round-up show. BT Sport wil broadcast highlights from all three days and a post-event package.[/quote]

Source: http://www.wrc.com/en/wrc/news/october-2016/wrctv-sportel/page/4007--12-12-.html

Hopefully more good cuts instead of slowmotions on Michelin's tyres...

VW on the verge of pulling the plug on their WRC program? Perhaps just gossip...

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/126924/volkswagen-could-pull-wrc-programme

...but an interesting snippet to read after the Audi announcement last week. Would they back out when they have already poured so much into development of a car for 2017?