DIRT 5 - Chat about the game and get support here. Read more... ×
How to contact Customer Service Read more... ×

2020 FIA World Rally Championship

Hmm, maybe, laterally, only ~20 BHP more overall though?
Its looking like 60+. Current WRCars are quoted as being in the region of 310 to 320 BHP. 2017 engines are expected to produce 380 BHP with the enlarged restrictor: and that's the official figure, which is nearly always conservative...

...the big unknown is the torque produced by the new engines. Current engines are (officially) around 340 Ft Lbs. I wonder how much more they will squeeze out of them next year.

Did VW really wait until all the other seats were taken at other teams before announcing this to their drivers? If so that is really crappy. Not as crappy as releasing a purposefully defective product, but at least consumers have recourse for that with the buy-back.

enamel said:
Did VW really wait until all the other seats were taken at other teams before announcing this to their drivers? If so that is really crappy. Not as crappy as releasing a purposefully defective product, but at least consumers have recourse for that with the buy-back.
Yeah, because VW are the only manufacturer who have fibbed about an automobile on sale...

...the timing is a bit crap, but the lineups at M-Sport and Toyota are still pretty open, so I think that at least some of the VW crews will get picked up. 

tbtstt said:
enamel said:
Yeah, because VW are the only manufacturer who have fibbed about an automobile on sale...

...the timing is a bit crap, but the lineups at M-Sport and Toyota are still pretty open, so I think that at least some of the VW crews will get picked up. 
For some reason I thought Toyota had their deals wrapped up, and MSport is a privateer and assumed the top drivers would want to drive for factory teams. But I guess it is early for silly season, and I don't really follow WRC that closely these days.

And I assume you are being sarcastic since 'fibs' don't result in a company spending $14700000000 in a single country to buy back 7 years worth of products they knowingly, willfully and illegally modified in order to make near-obsolete technology seem competitive in the marketplace.

enamel said:

And I assume you are being sarcastic since 'fibs' don't result in a company spending $14700000000 in a single country to buy back 7 years worth of products they knowingly, willfully and illegally modified in order to make near-obsolete technology seem competitive in the marketplace.
How many other cars are out there on the market with fiddled figures behind them? How many other cars are out there that don't deliver on the promises made in the brochure or on the test track? The only difference between those and VW, is that VW have been caught out. 

There have been numerous automotive fiddles discovered in the past and I'm sure there are plenty more out there. "Dieselgate" is surely going to be the most expensive one to date though. 

Dytut said:
To be honest, Ogier was the guy that won because Loeb left in the beginning.
Seeing a lot of RX fans discuss a move to WRX from Ogier. It's where the big-name competititors are at the moment! Would love to see that happen. World Champions everywhere, especially if JB decides he fancies a pop at RX too.
WRX: where retired WRC champions go... old folks home for WRC :wink:

I wish I could be more of a fan .. my heart is in stage rally "its not the destination, its the road getting there"

WRC: I hope everyone doesn't jump to MSport or DMack I really don't want to see more Fords out there.  Not hating on Ford, but they are over saturating the market.  Could we have Audi back or Nissan?  

I would cry with Joy if Subaru could come back, too bad the rules keep the door shut on them.  Variety is nice, but its very expensive to manufactures and Subaru is doing very well without WRC.  

Oh yeah, VW, I wonder if dropping out has anything to do with dieselgate?  There will be a huge chunk of change that will be paid out for that, and usuallys factory motorsports suffer first.

gfRally said:
Dytut said:
To be honest, Ogier was the guy that won because Loeb left in the beginning.
Seeing a lot of RX fans discuss a move to WRX from Ogier. It's where the big-name competititors are at the moment! Would love to see that happen. World Champions everywhere, especially if JB decides he fancies a pop at RX too.
WRX: where retired WRC champions go... old folks home for WRC :wink:
Could be worse: could be the GRC where all the retired extreme athletes go.  ;)
gfRally said:

I wish I could be more of a fan .. my heart is in stage rally "its not the destination, its the road getting there"
I struggle to pick a fave: rally was the first motorsport that truly excited me and I still love it now, but rallycross is so much more accessible (and the cars are absolute weapons). Wait until you've seen some proper rallycross action live, then see how you feel...
gfRally said:

Oh yeah, VW, I wonder if dropping out has anything to do with dieselgate?  There will be a huge chunk of change that will be paid out for that, and usuallys factory motorsports suffer first.
I would say that the direction shift of the Audi and VW motorsport programs is a direct consequence of dieselgate. The cost is likely to run into billions and, as you say, motorsport commitments always suffer first. 
gfRally said:

WRC: I hope everyone doesn't jump to MSport or DMack I really don't want to see more Fords out there.  Not hating on Ford, but they are over saturating the market.  Could we have Audi back or Nissan?  

I would cry with Joy if Subaru could come back, too bad the rules keep the door shut on them.  Variety is nice, but its very expensive to manufactures and Subaru is doing very well without WRC.  
Given that the new cars have to be factory run I don't think we are likely to see an over-saturation of any one marque next year. 

As for Subaru: are the rules shutting the door on them, or are the brand failing to move with the times? I appreciate the regulations were different at the time, but the Impreza was conceived with rallying in mind: despite the motorsport heritage the company have, I can't imagine them doing anything like that now.

I see Mr Wilson is quoted as saying he'd have Ogier in a Fiesta whatever the cost...  good luck with that!!

Dytut said:
versedi said:
Unconfirmed info: Mikkelsen in Hyundai. 
Guess Neuville talked them into it :-)
Those two are just two peas in a pot! Friends who push each other to the limit!
I would like to see Mikkelsen at Hyundai. Is it allowed to have two drivers in the 'Hyundai Motorsport N'-team (second Hyundai team)?

Dytut said:
versedi said:
I would like to see Mikkelsen at Hyundai. Is it allowed to have two drivers in the 'Hyundai Motorsport N'-team (second Hyundai team)?
As far as I know, there won't be a second Hyundai team next year anymore because factory teams will be allowed to run 3 cars in a team (only two highest positioned cars in a rally will score manufacturer championship points though).

https://youtu.be/9lce9jd_wWc?list=PLVyRAt2cxbxs8xB5arT2raR8P95hSEULJ

Jepsertti said:
Dytut said:
versedi said:
As far as I know, there won't be a second Hyundai team next year anymore because factory teams will be allowed to run 3 cars in a team (only two highest positioned cars in a rally will score manufacturer championship points though).
Well, there will be two teams using M-Sport's Fiesta so who knows? 

Yeah but it will be interesting to see whether DMACK is going to run in the WRC class with the new 2017 Fiesta or in the new class for private teams/drivers which are going to use the current-gen WRCs. As a sidenote I have to say that it's nice to see that the private teams are finally going to race in their own championship, because let's be realistic; they're never going to be able to challenge the factory teams.

Jepsertti said:
Dytut said:
versedi said:
What about Kevin Abbring then? He's still at Hyundai as a test driver but he hopes to have a few WRC rally under his belt at the end of next season I pressume. And frankly, he deserves it don't you think?

Jepsertti said:
Dytut said:
versedi said:
What about Kevin Abbring then? He's still at Hyundai as a test driver but he hopes to have a few WRC rally under his belt at the end of next season I pressume. And frankly, he deserves it don't you think?
I think that Abbring will mainly drive with the new i20 R5. He really deserves a seat in a WRC car, that's for sure, but I think that his time will come in future ;)