DIRT 5 - Chat about the game and get support here. Read more... ×

2020 FIA World Rally Championship

Reports circulating that Ogier will test an M-Sport Fiesta next week...

tbtstt said:
I keep coming across several French sites that report the same...

sqdstr said:
tbtstt said:
I keep coming across several French sites that report the same...
Yeah. Would like to see it officially reported before I get too excited, but a very interesting development if it's true!

Definitely keen to see him in a less-good car.
Could be an insane battle for the championship if the manufacturers continue roughly along their current performance levels.
My guess is Citroen in pole position, with Hyundai right behind them, and Ford and Toyota in an epic battle for third.
But with Ogier in Ford, that could throw everything wide open.

There hasn't been an opportunity to compare next year's cars' performance directly so it's really hard to put them in order. Can't wait for Rallye de Monte Carlo 2017!  

Yeah, Ogier in a Fiesta could make things very interesting next year. If that happened I'd be very conflicted as to who I'd want to see win: I'd love to see Ford doing well, but I really want Meeke to take the title! 

In other news VW have confirmed they will be running a limited customer program for the Polo WRC (2016 specification) next year:

http://www.wrc.com/en/wrc/news/november-2016/private-polos-/page/4080--12-12-.html

Given that the previous cars have all disappeared into a black hole somewhere, at least there is some chance we'll continue seeing Polo WRCars in action next year (though I know its the 2017 spec Polo that everyone really wants to see!).

tbtstt said:
Yeah, Ogier in a Fiesta could make things very interesting next year. If that happened I'd be very conflicted as to who I'd want to see win: I'd love to see Ford doing well, but I really want Meeke to take the title! 

In other news VW have confirmed they will be running a limited customer program for the Polo WRC (2016 specification) next year:

http://www.wrc.com/en/wrc/news/november-2016/private-polos-/page/4080--12-12-.html

Given that the previous cars have all disappeared into a black hole somewhere, at least there is some chance we'll continue seeing Polo WRCars in action next year (though I know its the 2017 spec Polo that everyone really wants to see!).
Great! So where do I sign up for one?

bogani said:
tbtstt said:

Great! So where do I sign up for one?
Send a blank cheque to Volkswagen Motorsport @bogani and wait for a phone call back! 

Ogier is talking to Citroen and Ford it seems, he'd like to test both cars first before deciding
http://www.wrc.com/en/wrc/news/november-2016/ogier-options/page/4081--12-12-.html

Watching the live stage from australia, and I just thought I heard the commentators say Latvala was on the way to Toyota. But I wasn't paying it full attention so not sure.

edgenz said:
please not Citroen... please not Citroen...
Yeah. I think next year will be a lot more interesting if Ogier goes to Ford. His decision could be an early gauge as to which car is quicker though.

tbtstt said:
edgenz said:
please not Citroen... please not Citroen...
Yeah. I think next year will be a lot more interesting if Ogier goes to Ford. His decision could be an early gauge as to which car is quicker though.

Agreed. But somehow I don't believe he will choose a semi-works Team like M-Sport over Citroen. And if he wants to drive there, there will be a place for him. I just hope they don't axe Breen. He was quite impressive in 2016. Just compare him to other newcomers like Lefèbvre and Camilli. He definitely has earned a drive for next year.

Alot rumour about RedBull taking the VW cars and two drivers on same terms as M-Sport does. That would allow them to run the 2017 spec if it will be homologated (team is required to have at least 2 drivers in order to do that).

Didn't VW in no uncertain terms state that the 2017 spec Golf would be mothballed and under no circumstances homologated?

Wouldn't be surprised if red bull will rent the 2016 spec cars for next year and do a run for the privateer championship.

Dytut said:
Didn't VW in no uncertain terms state that the 2017 spec Golf would be mothballed and under no circumstances homologated?

Wouldn't be surprised if red bull will rent the 2016 spec cars for next year and do a run for the privateer championship.
Yeah, that's what I thought was happening: they will complete development, then lock them away. 

Yes, they will abandon the cars but complete the homologation that they have already started, but Red Bull said that they have no plans for next year at the moment.
The drivers Will get a seat, and the Fiesta looks really competitive, M-Sport got the help from Ford in the development of the car like in the Focus RsRX, and if Ogier is in the team, is because Ford helped them.

Some interesting info after Ogier's test day:

"The four-time champion, who finished second in last weekend's Rally Australia, drove the Yaris WRC on both tarmac and gravel roads in the Tarragona region of Catalunya.

While reportedly Ogier recognized the potential of the car, he was not fully satisfied, marking out the suspension as a weak point.

While a move to Malcolm Wilson's team remains a strong possibility, Ogier has indicated he will not make a decision until he has tested the Ford Fiesta RS, as well as Citroen's machinery."

That means we'll probably have a good image of how all cars except the Hyundai, compare to each other.

Why am I not surprised that a car built under the lead of Mäkinen doesn't fit Ogier? ;-)

I'm not suprised about the suspension...Polo was from another planet when it comes for that and it could be even seen in a footage.