2020 FIA World Rally Championship

As for the rally itself, some exclamation points.

Ogier is fast, as expected. But Neuville beating him by 7.8s was nice to see. Hänninen putting his Yaris in 3rd after place on SS2 was a nice surprise! 

Yeah, he did have a bit better road position as he started back with the wrc 2 because he got held up in ss1. Tomorrow we will really see how everyone fairs!

F*ing gutted. horrible result on so many levels. For the person who died and their family foremost, for Hayden and John, and for the sport. First stage into the new regulations and someone gets killed... Not a great story.

It is indeed a sad that something like this happened on what should have been the great revival of the WRC. My thoughts go to the guy's family, to Paddon and John and indeed the sport. However the photographer should have known that the risk of positioning himself there was too great. Capturing great snapshots was more important to him than his own life. He's the 'Crocodile Hunter' of photographers.

Spectator means Spectator not Press, right?  This isn't a translation issue, right?  I feel sad no matter who, a life was ended.  

If it was a spectator, then when any of us go out there, please use your head and not your heart choosing a spot to watch from.  Watching outside of turns is just a dumb thing to do, accidents happen, but why push your percentage up so much?

He was stood on the outside of a bend covered in black ice, no cover, and no where to escape. As I suspected, the papers are already picking it up, the mirror in the uk has wrote an article, fortunately it's just factual and well written, but you just know a shitty article is on its way from the daily mail

As the Mirror states, the guy fell from a hillside.  

Nothing has been suggested that Paddon actually hit him.

French papers state he fell, suffered a heart attack & was airlifted to Nice hospital where he passed away

So they made the cars faster like in the grp.B era. So accidents will be more severe. Now a spectator later a driver get killed in an accident. What else to expect stupid FIA...

Never ever let the truth get in the way of a good internet rant, eh?

KevM said:

French papers state he fell, suffered a heart attack & was airlifted to Nice hospital where he passed away
That would mean that the photographer next to the road wasn't the victim then because that would mean that he somehow had to teleport into the hillside and fall down.

Jepsertti said:
KevM said:

That would mean that the photographer next to the road wasn't the victim then because that would mean that he somehow had to teleport into the hillside and fall down.
I actually thought it looked more like a tripod & bag at the roadside, but the internet has concluded that it was a badly placed photographer who was mauled by a group b car, so it must be true....

I'm not posting the pictures, but you can clearly see someone stood where Paddon hit the wall at the bottom of the hill from the onboard. He could have gotten out the way, but still. But if anything it's better that the papers report that he simply fell rather than being hit and launched up the hill, which is what I think happened

He was stood on the outside of a bend covered in black ice, no cover, and no where to escape. As I suspected, the papers are already picking it up, the mirror in the uk has wrote an article, fortunately it's just factual and well written, but you just know a shitty article is on its way from the daily mail
Yeah, absolutely. It's very sad (and you certainly shouldn't speak ill of the dead), but that was a stupid place to be spectating from. 

Sadly - and as you have already said @RallyDriven - I am not convinced that the rest of the press will check all the facts as carefully before posting articles. I really hope they do, as this isn't the sort of big story that we want attached to the new WRCars. 

I've boosted the curves of the video in After Effects, making the contrast bigger, and you can clearly see a blob flying up, over and down the hill. As soon as the car rotates and the headlights point towards the hill, that blob changes into the person you see falling of the hill. :/

If there is any event you should be aware of where you are standing it's in Monte with it's treacherous conditions.

So so sad :(

Only two are responsible: the spectator himself, and other spectators around that didn't made him move. Seriously, I've been to many rallies and if there's some1 that stupid he's forced by other spectators to get the heck out of there. 

versedi said:
Only two are responsible: the spectator himself, and other spectators around that didn't made him move. Seriously, I've been to many rallies and if there's some1 that stupid he's forced by other spectators to get the heck out of there. 
Just read on Swedish news that the man ignored other spectators trying to get him to move.

Yeah I've heard reports that he was told many times to move but didn't. This could very easily create some awful press with the new cars, and the fact it was broadcast live on tv. Just depends how much research the wankers at the daily mail put into it

Sadly here in Sweden, these incidents are the only times rally generates headlines in the big media outlets.

https://youtu.be/VBT0gGRa3s4?list=PLVyRAt2cxbxtomaMsWLMlYj18zFrgs8iu

Tanak is fast!                                                                                                                  

Hänninen also has surprising pace!                                                                               

bogani said:
Hänninen also has surprising pace!                                                                               
Spoke too soon! Twitter is saying he's stopped in the stage