DIRT 5 - Chat about the game and get support here. Read more... ×

2020 FIA World Rally Championship

Just a small correction, Meeke continued on saturday because of Rally2 rules, but the rules do not allow you to continue to the final day if you retire on saturday.

Didn't use to have rally2 at all. And yeah, there are pretty bad conditions this yeah, which is odd as I've heard the skiing season across France has been awful, lots of places are having droughts

gheeD said:
Just a small correction, Meeke continued on saturday because of Rally2 rules, but the rules do not allow you to continue to the final day if you retire on saturday.

Yep, you're right.

How is it that Ogier made 3 or 4 mistakes and only lost a bit of time while Meeke and especially Neuville lose everything. Neuville just had what looked like a very minor impact. As Ogier once said: "The best driver didn't win this time."
Ogier's a good sport though. The amount of respect he has for Thierry after his performance is immense.
Also what a performance from Breen. So consistent and quick. Leaving some of the latest evolution rally cars in his wake. Impressive drive!

That's rally, sometimes it's incredibly unfair, a small mistake can have a huge punishment,whereas someone else will get away with a big mistake

That's rally, sometimes it's incredibly unfair, a small mistake can have a huge punishment,whereas someone else will get away with a big mistake
Yeah I know but still. I hope he lets Thierry spray some champagne around because he deserves it! That would be a great gesture, wouldn't it?

It'd be great to see Breen keep Sordo behind him.  Not that I have any dislike for Sordo, but he should never really have been behind Breen in the first instance given his equipment and experience.

What would have been great, is if WRC+'s website was clear about auto renew.  No warnings of expiration, just a paypal email saying, thanks for the full price renewal :(

I wasn't planning on subbing again because of the Redbull TV coverage.  Now i'm trying to get $50 back, would have minded so much if they gave me the WRC2017 code discounted amount :(

I think it comes down to neuville et al driving on the limit vs. ogier taking it a bit more calmer and not pushing quite as much. Tänak im still afraid he will make a mistake, judging from his driving he should consider buying a lottery ticket next week if he will finish this rally clean.

But Monte is full of surprises and luck that its hard to judge. Everyone definitely has had their fair share of close moments that couldve been rally ending moments if they wouldve been unlucky.

Of all drivers Neuville looked the most relaxed in his driving, and even his accident wasn't any big driver error. Ogiers offs could've ended far worse than Neuvilles for example.

Dytut said:
Of all drivers Neuville looked the most relaxed in his driving, and even his accident wasn't any big driver error. Ogiers offs could've ended far worse than Neuvilles for example.
But Neuville hitted a Bridge which is really hard, Ogier has done luck and always hitted soft things.

Ogier was on and sometimes over the limit himself, hence why he made so many, albeit small but still, mistakes.
I'm really gutted it ended this way for Neuville, but still it was nice to see he can best Ogier in a straight and fair fight.
I hope this wasn't a one off and it continues like this through the whole season.
Would be great and very interesting for us and we might even see a new world champion once again?

I'm conflicted because I'd love to see M-Sport win today (in lieu of Hyundai), but to start this new era with an Ogier win... Fair play to him though and he's had to fight for it. Really promising start for Neuville and Hyundai though, if this keeps up it's going to be an awesome season. And hopefully Meeke has used up all his bad luck.

So here's how I balanced WRC+ and Red Bull TV on Saturday: watched the pre-show from the highlights on RBTV, watched the highlights show on WRC+ until the live stage and then paused it, watched the live stage on RBTV with WRC+'s broadcast synced in the background and muted, unmuted WRC+ during RBTV's ads, watched the rest of the WRC+ highlights show after the live stage, then watched the highlights post-show on RBTV. Seemed to work out.

Yeah I'm a bit annoyed, I forgot to cancel wrc+. Although RBTV doesn't have the final live stage, which can occasionally throw up some last minute drama. Speaking of which, Tanak is haveinf engine problems, missing cylinders apparently 

What would have been great, is if WRC+'s website was clear about auto renew.  No warnings of expiration, just a paypal email saying, thanks for the full price renewal :(

I wasn't planning on subbing again because of the Redbull TV coverage.  Now i'm trying to get $50 back, would have minded so much if they gave me the WRC2017 code discounted amount :(

Mine ended yesterday at 17, I've canceled the autorenewal at 16.
Not sure why but it's still working. If I'm autorenewed too, I'll be a bit pissed too.

Anyway stage 16 canceled. 
Tanak with 2 cylinderes working. Hopefully he'll keep the 3rd place. 

Well then, will be interesting to see how this season pans out.

The Hyundais appeared to be fast, and so did Neuville. Sordo as usual struggling with grip changes but was fast when it was predictable. No idea about how Paddon fares yet.
The Fiestas also fast, and the whole driver lineup showed their speed and got stage wins which was encouraging. Evans will have a hard time when the DMACKs don't quite stack up.
Toyota was encouraging, not as slow as I worried but still some ways to go to catch up with the speed of the others cars. 
Citroën felt kind of unclear. Seemed like they were a bit behind on speed compared to Hyundai and M-Sport.

I'm really happy for M-Sport, they've deserved this for a long time. Sensational finish from Tänak being able to keep his podium place! Although I hate when someone is dominating a series like Ogier did with VW, I'm somehow really happy that he won anyway. He has some real sportsmanship and he showed that he's a four-times champion for a reason.

A great and intelligent rally from Latvala. Toyota made a great comeback with a 2nd place in their first rally! I'm glad that Latvala managed to keep his head cool and drive to the finish - we've seen too much of crashing Latvala already ;)

Overall, apart from the really sad first stage of the season, this rally was an interesting season opener. Six different drivers managed to do fastest stage times (although it is Monte Carlo, so weather and tire choice play a big role) so I think that shows that it will be an exciting season.

Bring on Sweden!

Dytut said:
But Neuville hitted a Bridge which is really hard, Ogier has done luck and always hitted soft things.
Was it a bridge Neuville hit? Ithought it was a concrete slab next to the road. 
Also Ogier didn't just hit soft things, did he? He slid into the side of the mountain yesterday! Stone is not really soft.

I think it was the metal pole first, after that he slipped a bit off the bridge. 

Dytut said:
Was it a bridge Neuville hit? Ithought it was a concrete slab next to the road. 
Also Ogier didn't just hit soft things, did he? He slid into the side of the mountain yesterday! Stone is not really soft.
Looks like a pipe in a concrete slab to me:

Neuville was incredibly unlucky. Monte isn't a great place to determine speed because of the conditions. We probably won't get a proper understanding until maybe Sweden or one of the faster events later in the year

Well Monte has delivered drama in the past and this has certainly been an eventful weekend. Bad start to the rally for Evans, but a serious show of pace from him when the tyres weren't letting him down. A mistake compounded by bad luck for Meeke, surely not the start to the year he wanted. Impressive pace from Neuville, pity about the mistake but, in this environment, there is no doubt the Hyundai has some speed.

To the outsider it light look like "same old" with Ogier on top, but he has had to fight and, reassuringly, the Fiesta hasn't romped away from everyone. I think its been a very encouraging start to the year, roll on Sweden!

Yeah, ogier definitely did not walk this, he had some luck on his side with everyone else hitting trouble, but even he himself hit trouble. There weren't many this weekend that didn't have an issue