2020 FIA World Rally Championship

You say that, but Paddon hit a tyre stack last night on the opening stage and barely did any damage. Plus these cars have done a lot of testing, they shouldn't just be falling apart on every corner. I'm sure m-sport will be immediately looking into the cause of mads' incident.

My brother and I both said at the start of monte that Neuville and the i20 were looking very strong and competettive. And I know it's still early days, but I knew I should have bet on him for this weekend! Aha, probably jinxed it now anyway!

Ostberg's team has appealed to Rally Sweden fans to find and return the missing wing.

https://twitter.com/MadsOstberg/status/830048305577066497

hehehehe, they've found it!

"Absolutely no fun driving without the rear spoiler. It's been so hard to just stay on the road. I put my best tyres on the rear here to try and stabilise the car but it didn't work so well." A small bit of good news is that his spoiler has been found and returned to his team. "That's good news, there aren't too many spares around and I didn't want to do the rest of the rally without it."

Just watched the onboard of when it came loose, about 1:40 on the stage. Nothing weird going on, then all of a sudden the rear just snaps up and starts bouncing. The rear of the car is completely out of control afterwards. From the exterior cam it looks like it might have been an exposed stone in the middle of the road that hit the car from below, but even that shouldn't break the entire rear spoiler.

If I was M-Sport I'd be really interested to see where it broke, since that's not something you'd want any of the other drivers to experience.

It looks like the Fiesta is the most unreliable 2017 spec car so far. It's nowhere near 307 level issues, but Tanak has had two gearbox issues and lost cylinders in Monte and Ostberg just lost the rear wing. It's too early to tell how it'll play out throughout the season, but first impressions are so.

As for the standings, FUCK YEAH LATVALA! The afternoon's itinerary must've been tricky and Neuville had not only more seat time but a more favorable road position than Latvala. For him to maintain second place with a comfortable gap to Tanak and not too much of a gap to Neuville is remarkable. Dare I say a Latvala title this year isn't as far fetched as we thought?

I don't know about the title, but Latvala seems to have his mojo back. A clever drive in Monte Carlo and really fast here. I honestly didn't expect so much speed from him and the Toyota.

I'm a little bit disappointed by Citroen. After taking 2016 mostly off, I thought they might have an early advantage this season. Now they sometimes look like the slowest of the four teams. Ford on the other hand has shown that Monte was no fluke.

Hyundai is good, but it's Neuville who really stands out. He has taken more than one minute out of both his teammates, and that's a lot in Sweden. Very impressive. The new car just seems to suit him. On the other hand, there's still two days to go. And he was leading comfortably in Monte Carlo, too...

Paddon probably isn't having an easy rally considering his last. I'm sure it's been difficult for him to get into the right frame of mind for this event

One thing I've seen from comparing the videos: all of the cars had problems on that particular bump besides Tanak's Fiesta!

But... Ostberg's onboard, how it happened:
1. Did it broken while landing because he landed with his front and the spoiler is simply too long for china plastic?
2. Did it broke in midair because too much air pushing from upside on plastic while going front diving? 
If im wrong forgive me, but the spoilers are plastic not carbon right?

Really nice sweden rally this year btw!

I predicted aclose battle between Neuville, Latvala and Ostberg. I'm not that far off.
Neuville has a blistering pace. The car's running great but his talent has really come to surface in 2017. Apparently he loves this rally as well which is quite surprising for a Belgian. We are not all that fond of snow.
We know Latvala is very quick in Sweden. It's not really Toyota's speed I'm worried about but its suspension. It has been mentioned that it's not the best developed suspension. Nevertheless a very solid performance from Latvala! Running second on the road and setting tremendous stage times.
Unlucky day for Ostberg.
We'll see what Ogier will accomplish tomorrow. Not sure that he'll be able to match or be quicker than the top two.

versedi said:
One thing I've seen from comparing the videos: all of the cars had problems on that particular bump besides Tanak's Fiesta!

But... Ostberg's onboard, how it happened:
1. Did it broken while landing because he landed with his front and the spoiler is simply too long for china plastic?
2. Did it broke in midair because too much air pushing from upside on plastic while going front diving? 

Really nice sweden rally this year btw!
Full CarbonFibre 

I haven't seen everyone go over the bump that took mads' wing, but the Toyota seemed most unhappy. Latvala was pretty much facing the sky! It was a nasty bump though, caught a lot of people out. And being someone who competes in a smaller car, I imagine that was horrendous for those lower down the field and those following in the historic rally!

versedi said:
They are partially, if not fully, carbon fiber @versedi. I suspect the latter, as fully carbon fiber structures can be quite brittle, however if you lay CF over fibreglass, you get the best of both worlds. 

Probably a statement of the obvious, but I would image M-Sport would have been very keen to get the broken spoiler back to see where it failed. With the cars producing so much more downforce this year, the structural loading will of course increase as well. 

Tanak and Ogier take first and second respectively in SS9 this morning! 

Mads hit Colin's Crest at 110mph! He was quite funny in his interview at the stage end, seemed quite pleased with himself 

Now they've cancelled SS12 because of the high speed of SS9 (reverse). It's no sense. This FIA and their regulations are silly. New faster cars and you didn't realize this could happen. Oh my gosh. Is going to be like this all the season?

Now that's just silly :-/ fia really has a Hard time understanding rally. Wonder how they'll handle Finland and poland... 

Dytut said:
Now that's just silly :-/ fia really has a Hard time understanding rally. Wonder how they'll handle Finland and poland... 
I would assume that the maximum average speed allowed is based on each individual rally. They must have expected an increase this year, though perhaps they have underestimated just how much.

Got to wonder if the organizers are nervous after the fatality on the Monte as well. 

Well it must be obvious to them too that the fatality had nothing to do with the pace/speed of these cars. Hopefully the maximum avarage speed is set a bit lower because of it being a snow rally, otherwise we'll see a lot more cancellations this seasons, or a downgrade on turbo restrictor in 2018.

Ok, first year with WRC+ and I am a bit confused.  Im in the USA (if you don't know by now) and right now it is showing live stages are still and hour away from streaming.  Very little info on for today Saturday, other than maps.  

Where are you guys getting your info from?  Videos?  Youtube channel?  Or just twitter, till things are posted up on WRC+?  

All these years, I've used youtube highlights as my info, besides this board. This year I'm trying to follow it day by day now.  

Areyouben said:
Well it must be obvious to them too that the fatality had nothing to do with the pace/speed of these cars. Hopefully the maximum avarage speed is set a bit lower because of it being a snow rally, otherwise we'll see a lot more cancellations this seasons, or a downgrade on turbo restrictor in 2018.
Anyone who looked into the Monte incident will realize that it had nothing to do with the cars, but news headlines tend not to include such details! Another incident at this stage wouldn't do the new cars any favours at all. 

Just seen some figures for the stages in Sweden:

SS9 average speed for Tanak was 85 MPH
SS10 average speed for Tanak was 73.5 MPH

That's a hell of a difference: SS9 (Knon) was to be used again for SS12, that's why SS12 was cancelled. Knon is going to need a few more chicanes if it is to be used again next year, even the slowest cars through were averaging over 60 MPH!

gfRally said:
Ok, first year with WRC+ and I am a bit confused.  Im in the USA (if you don't know by now) and right now it is showing live stages are still and hour away from streaming.  Very little info on for today Saturday, other than maps.  

Where are you guys getting your info from?  Videos?  Youtube channel?  Or just twitter, till things are posted up on WRC+?  

All these years, I've used youtube highlights as my info, besides this board. This year I'm trying to follow it day by day now.  
Twitter, youtube channel and Redbull.tv. Since the Wrc.com is all broken... again.

Also this one: https://ewrc-results.com/results.php?e=35751&Rally-Sweden-2017

FIA: "Let's make cars quicker!"

Also FIA: "Hey, these cars are quick... didn't see this coming"

Must say, Facebook Live is amazing for rallying, thanks to the dedicated folk out there streaming, it's the next best thing to being stage-side. It's arguably better than WRC+ seeing as it shows the R5 cars and has no Jon Desborough.....

Meeke is off the SS14 stage.                                                                                         

Looks like he has made it to the end: 8:39 dropped though, now down to 10th overall. 

Tanak now closed to within 4 seconds of Latvala. Good time from Ogier in SS14 as well. Possibility of a M-Sport 2/3?