2020 FIA World Rally Championship

FIA: "Let's make cars quicker!"

Also FIA: "Hey, these cars are quick... didn't see this coming"

Must say, Facebook Live is amazing for rallying, thanks to the dedicated folk out there streaming, it's the next best thing to being stage-side. It's arguably better than WRC+ seeing as it shows the R5 cars and has no Jon Desborough.....
Can't stand Kon Desborough either. Gladly there is Swedish TV covering the live stages so I don't have to stand him ;)

Gotta love Östberg. The only one really going for the jump!

Meeke did it again. If he can't fight for the win, why can't he just get to the finish, take a few points and attack next time? I really like the guy, but his crash-per-rally-ratio is awful.

He will have a great road position for Mexico, though. Maybe that was the plan.

He might win there. If Citroen doesn't axe him...

YoMrWhite said:

Meeke did it again. If he can't fight for the win, why can't he just get to the finish, take a few points and attack next time? I really like the guy, but his crash-per-rally-ratio is awful.

He will have a great road position for Mexico, though. Maybe that was the plan.

He might win there. If Citroen doesn't axe him...

Hehe, upset of the season. Meeke gets axed, Mikkelsen gets his car and wins the championship ;-)

Citroen should think about Mikkelsen. They need a driver with experience and regularity. Also Toyota could get him, Hanninen is a good tester but I don't know if he can be a contender at this level.

I can understand Toyotas conservative approach to drivers before this season, where I guess they were really concerned about if the car and team would be competitive and opted for Hänninen who's been developing the car. But now that they've seen that the car is good and they seem to work well in the team I'd really like them to consider Mikkelsen.

Yes, in my opinion the Toyota option is very clear. It's the only team with just two drivers. The cars have proven to be fast, if they continue improving they can have the faster o second faster car. Only need regularity, Mikkelsen would be a perfect choice for team championship.

Few months ago, who would say that Toyota would be doing much better than Citroen, in the first 2 events?

Championship just started, but i'm really disappointed with Kris ( and Citroen ), so far. Too much D4, i guess :p

Neuville seems the Driver with more confidence, at this point, and if he keeps going like this, through the Championship ( without any major mistakes ), we might have a new Champion, this year. Also, Hyundai seems the quickest car, from all.

I still think the Yaris has some design issues cause of his size and dimensions. Today Latavala was complaining about not feeling in control in the jumps. And you can hear in the replay how the Yaris touch the floor in the fallings. Not a good sign. If they can deal with these problems the car is fast, no doubt.

Yeah so far Neuville has been looking incredible. Consistently fast and relaxed, much like Ogier in the last few seasons. 

Will be interesting to see how this season pans out. Neuville looks to be a clear contender, while Ogier is still most likely to win it. Tänak seems to be both fast and consistent this year, as expected. Not sure if he can keep the same consistent speed as Neuville and Ogier can though. And Latvala with a good feeling has shown to be a real contender.

Yeah, it's still early days - and the conditions of both Monte and Sweden make it hard to gauge anything - but Neuville is certainly the early season favourite at the moment. 

I too was hoping that Meeke would fare better this weekend. Gutted to see him tumble down the standings again.

Underkex said:
I still think the Yaris has some design issues cause of his size and dimensions. Today Latavala was complaining about not feeling in control in the jumps. And you can hear in the replay how the Yaris touch the floor in the fallings. Not a good sign. If they can deal with this problems the car is fast, no doubt.
Totally agree. The Yaris seems unstable, bottoms out frequently and tips up in the jumps. I'm sure aero and suspension refinements will eventually come. As far as the engine goes, it looks to be holding up well, and so far has the highest top speed (although perhaps the lowest acceleration judging by the launch. It could possibly be the gear ratios though).

Neuville out
https://twitter.com/HMSGOfficial/status/830462451514736641

EDIT: That's actually SS15 instead of SS14.

Neuville is losing the opportunity of his life. This championship was made for him. Too bad, you can't give this advantage to Ogier, he won't make silly mistakes.

Well you're not entirely correct. Ogier did make quite a few mistakes in Monte Carlo, he was just lucky to always get away with them. 
Ogier did mistakes and had good luck, yes, but Neuville has lost twice the rally win when he was leading with a confortable gap. 0 points for him at the moment. Ogier has been very clever in Sweden, even though he has not a great pace, he will be in the podium.

Dafuq Thierry! 

He's got the chance of his career and throws it away :-/ 

Oh well, go Tänak and Latvala! Two events is too much to throw away against Ogier.

I'm pretty sure it wasn't Thierry's fault. I've seen footage and it looks like the wheel came off or the suspension snapped half way through the corner. It just broke which made him slide into the wall.

https://www.rallye-magazin.de/wm/videos/2017/rallye-schweden/crash-thierry-neuville/

Neuville hit a concrete block that was exposed by the passage of a previous driver so it surely wasn't his fault and ofcourse they didn't have anything in the pacenotes about that block since it wasn't supposed to be there.
Bad luck...

Update: supposedly it was Hanninen who exposed the block on the road

It's just unbelievable. I'm in quite a bad mood now because of that. Shouldn't the marshals secure that bit between the passing of two cars. There were enough tyres to surround the block?

Update: Then there wasn't enough time probably and it's all Hanninen's fault, unwillingly I presume. Although he might've done that to help Latvala. Conspiracy mind officially blown. Just kidding.

On a low-speed Super Special too, it's actually tragic for him :(