2020 FIA World Rally Championship

Hell yeah Jaris-Matti! I can't be happier with this result. After such a struggle last season it was about time he got back to his winning ways again. 

Dytut said:
Hope Citroën can step it up. Craig Breen's post rally interview says it all, the car just isn't as good as it should be. Hope they can dial it in and fix whatever it is that's not quite right.

But Latvala.. He really showed that the Yaris can be fast today. I wonder if Neuville would've been able to keep up with his pace today. Looking real interesting for the championship. But I do hope that Neuville manages to bring home some podium places now so that he can get in the championship. A fourway fight between Neuville, Ogier, Tänak and Latvala would be great for the sport. 
Any sport is better when their is no clear winner or dominate team.  Although its someones job, ultimately sports are here for entertainment.

So glad for Latvala, hope he can keep up this consistency.  Have to say this season looks like it will be more entertaining than it's been in quite awhile.  Can't wait to see where Mikkelsen ends up and if Ford actually gets more involved with msport again like the head of Ford Performance said at the end of MC.

Well I absolutely eat my words when it comes to the Yaris! I wasn't expecting the Toyota to even approach the podium in the first half of the season, let alone take a win! 

The Fiesta continues to look the most delicate of the new cars and Neuville is surely going to be the one to beat: if he can keep it on the road! 

Citroen needs to improve, and quickly, if they wanna battle for Championship wins. Biggest disappointment, till now. Gratz to Latvala and Toyota ( thank god Ogier didn't win :p ).

Bring on México!!

I just watched an onboard from SS9 - Knon. The second pass was cancelled due to high speed.

My god that stage was INSANE.

Ogiers fx camera on WRC+ sits between driver and codriver. Lovely view :)

I wonder if Toyota puts maximum effort into getting that third car for Lappi ready ASAP now. 

Dytut said:
I wonder if Toyota puts maximum effort into getting that third car for Lappi ready ASAP now. 
If I were Mäkinen I would put Mikkelsen in Hänninens car.

bogani said:
Dytut said:
Same for me, but I suspect that they can't break their contract like that :-/ But one can hope.

Dytut said:
bogani said:
Dytut said:
Same for me, but I suspect that they can't break their contract like that :-/ But one can hope.
Contracts can always be broken ;)

WRC related question for anyone with the knowledge:

How much can a team change on a car after homologation? Aero details are pretty much set in stone afterwards, isn't it? And all parts are homologated? Or can certain parts be adjusted after homologation, and to what extent in that case? 

For example, dampers and springs can be switched between rallies. But do each team homologate a set of tarmac dampers and a set of gravel, and after that they can't change? Or are they allowed to switch out dampers to a different make?
I guess fluids aren't homologated, so different oils for the dampers are allowed?

I'm a bit in the dark here about how much of a WRC car that can be fine tuned as the season progresses :-)

Afaik a team can do 3 upgrades during the season, but also not sure about the specifics, I remember Citroën changed their aero once on the DS3 during season in 2015.

There's some talk about upgrades in this article, dated from 2015 though:
http://www.wrc.com/en/wrc/news/january/new-for-2015-cars/page/2045--12-12-.html

http://www.fia.com/file/51625/download/12790?token=gSsdhJDW
http://www.fia.com/file/52451/download/17389?token=6Ut7sm_Q
This:
What evolutions will be permitted on the engine throughout the season?
Patrice Davesne:

“We can make changes, but some parts of the engine are frozen by the regulations for three years. For example, bore is not allowed to change, the distance between cylinder and distance between camshaft we can’t change. But we have three jokers per year and, for example, we can change in the same year the pistons, connecting rods and oil sump. Each year there are three jokers and we can use them as we want – it can be development, increase our power or durability, it’s as we want.”
http://www.fia.com/news/wrc-2017-world-rally-car-power-wrc

I almost got my prediction right with Neuville winning! Shame another small mistake cost him and Hyundai big, but his first win this year is definitely coming, wouldn't be surprised at all if it was Mexico.

Who would have thought last year that we would have m-sport leading the points and a Toyota leading the driver's title?!

I'm very happy to see Latvala getting a good start early on, I don't think he's had a proper shot at the title since Ford dropped their world rally team. I (and many others I'm sure) would love to see the Great Sebastien Win Streak come to an end with a "new" manufacturer on their first season, that would be a big deal for the sport.

I almost got my prediction right with Neuville winning! Shame another small mistake cost him and Hyundai big, but his first win this year is definitely coming, wouldn't be surprised at all if it was Mexico.

Who would have thought last year that we would have m-sport leading the points and a Toyota leading the driver's title?!
With VW out, having M-Sport leading the manufacturers standings doesn't that surprising, but seeing a Toyota on top of the standings is a bit of a shock! 

Thus far it really feels like the hype for 2017 was worth it, I really hope the rest of the season continues to deliver like this! 

A little something about the Citroëns:
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/128098/what-troubling-meeke-and-citroen

And yeah. Breens final interview after the power stage pretty much summed it up as "we have to fix this". 

Edit: Just watched the likenäs 2 onboards for Meeke, and that car is not happy at all. Kris sounds downright scared at times.

Dytut said:
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/128098/what-troubling-meeke-and-citroen

And yeah. Breens final interview after the power stage pretty much summed it up as "we have to fix this". 

Edit: Just watched the likenäs 2 onboards for Meeke, and that car is not happy at all. Kris sounds downright scared at times.

Strange. I wouldn't have been surprised if any of the other teams had those handling problems, given that the cars are new. But Citroen took the last year off and could do more testing than Hyundai and M-Sport. And they didn't come back after nearly two decades, like Toyota. So this is puzzling indeed.

I really hope they can fix this. Another bad performance in Mexico and they are most likely out of both championships after only three events. That would be very disappointing.

Yeah it is quite weird. I thought the C3 looked quite good in testing, and that the Monte twitchiness was down to a bit too firm settings. But when it looks so twitchy even on gravel/ice settings it just feels weird.
I wonder if the found that the car was just too slow when they started pitting it against the other '17 cars and are fiddling with everything at once and just making a mess of it right now. The cars looked noticeably worse on the sunday leg of sweden than saturday, so I wonder if they tried something with the car settings to improve on their saturday setup and it turned out to be even worse.
Judging from the onboards it might be something strange with the center diff. It might be acting up and lagging behind on power delivery which would explain the understeer to snap oversteer behaviour.

Damn. I'm almost surprised that WRC haven't removed that from WRC+. That is one unhappy man.

Congratzs to Latvala. A well-deserved woinin for him and Toyota. And I'll use the words that Matthew Wilson always seems to use when someone hits trouble: I felt gutted to seeNe Neiuvolle hit trouble again. He will have to score really well in Mexico.

Talking about Mexico, it will be very interesting. The suspension on the Toyota isn't the best as they mentioned themselves several times. Mexico has some seriously tough roads.
The altitude might also create some issues for M-Sport. In both rounds there was a Fiesta that lost a cilinder along the way. Engine troubles might be serious this time.
Hyundai has a very solid car so I suspect no technical issues for them
And Citroen hasn't had muchluck so far so...

Dytut said:

First run through Likenäs didn't look all that bad(didn't watch the whole stage) but the second run through was extremely hairy. He might have suffered from the infamous default setup bug we have in DR ;)

I ran a double compare between Meeke and Tänak on Likenäs 1. Considering that Tänak complained that his car was acting up with the rear end out of control, he still runs far less wide than Meeke. And Tänak usually drives quite sideways. 

Talking about Mexico, it will be very interesting. The suspension on the Toyota isn't the best as they mentioned themselves several times. Mexico has some seriously tough roads.
The altitude might also create some issues for M-Sport. In both rounds there was a Fiesta that lost a cilinder along the way. Engine troubles might be serious this time.
Hyundai has a very solid car so I suspect no technical issues for them
And Citroen hasn't had much luck so far so...
M-Sport engine problems so far have been electrical  and that's understandable, if you are building cars at their speed. In Mexico we'll see how reliable they really are - over heating hasn't been real issue in last two events. 

I feel sorry for Meek and Citroën but never the less, Meek shouldn't push that much if it was that bad. Just get it trough and take the points you are able to. Look at Evans with DMack - no where near the top times, but he's 7p form 3rd place in championship standings.