Jump to content Jump to content

2021 FIA World Rally Championship

• Social Media & Community Team
9 minutes ago, Rogerbee said:

So, were there no more rally events in 2020 after Turkey!?

They did a closed doors Monza rally around the F1 track.

As for 2021, calendar as it stands, Sweden cancelled (was the TBC) and Monte we'll know this week:

WRC_calendar-2021_list_update1_f19fc_f_1

2020MONTECARLO_HEM_212

The Automobile Club de Monaco has issued the itinerary it hopes will keep the World Rally Championship’s season-opening Monte Carlo Rally on course to go ahead for later this month.

The timetable for the January 21-24 event has been altered to fall in line with coronavirus-enforced curfew regulations coming from the French government.

Mikko-Heikkila-Photo-Taneli_Niinimaki-AKK-1024×682

The World Rally Championship will have a winter rally in 2021 as the Arctic Rally Finland’s place on the calendar was announced on Thursday.

Rally Sweden was canceled in December due to a rising number of coronavirus cases in the Värmland region, leaving the WRC short of a snow round.

But as predicted by DirtFish, WRC Promoter and Finnish motorsport’s governing body AKK have been in close discussions about holding a second WRC round in Finland.

The Arctic Rally will therefore fill the void left by Sweden, running on February 26-28 from its Rovaniemi base – just outside the Arctic Circle – as the second round in 2021 after the Monte Carlo Rally. However the rally’s 10-stage, 161-mile route will take place within the Arctic Circle where temperatures could drop below -22 Fahrenheit.

• Like 1

Gutted for Teemu and M-Sport. The Fiesta is my favourite car of the field, but I would be surprised to see it on the podium this year. Suninen looked to have immense pace, but just pushed too hard too early. 

Now all hopes for the Fiesta are in the hands of Greensmith... 😐

@PJTierney Do you know, if the Xbox WRC app is working again?
I cancelled my subscription last november, because the app wasn't working for more than 2 months and I felt robbed off my money.
My PC is somehow not good enough to run the stream/videos, because it's getting really hot after a while and it shutts down automatically 😄 

I'm still interested in rl WRC, but the Xbox WRC app was a big disappointment through the last year...

It was also pretty bad to see Ford being just there...but not really competitive for some reason.
And I really like the Fiesta, it's a pretty good looking car in my opinion.

Well, still better than F1 in the last 5 years.

16 hours ago, UnderclassGDfan said:

Do you know, if the Xbox WRC app is working again?

Never used it. I watch all my WRC on RedBull.tv

7 hours ago, PJTierney said:

Never used it. I watch all my WRC on RedBull.tv

There might be more content on the WRC app, but it's so very badly supported and arranged - at least when i had it a few years ago - from my experiences, they're not in it for the sport, they're purely making a cash grab, which is why the onboard cams are still **** and nothing is streamlined or changed years later.

• 2 weeks later...

🤔 https://dirtfish.com/rallycross/world-rx/why-wrc-and-world-rx-may-have-a-shared-future/

Timmy Hansen

“It’s an idea I introduced last year, to have World Rallycross – to have this big final in Spa-Francorchamps in the same weekend, to have two disciplines at one level joining for one event,” he said.

The futures of both the WRC and World RX could be tied even closer from next year if speculation that WRC Promoter is about to take over the rights to World RX is to be believed.

World RX lost its promoter when IMG walked out at the end of last season, just seven years into a 20-year term. The FIA launched a tender process to replace IMG and sources say WRC Promoter is closing on that deal.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

310321_WRC-Hybrid-2021_001_a019f_f_1400x

https://www.wrc.com/en/news/2021/wrc/wrc-manufacturers-confirm-three-year-hybrid-agreement/

WRC MANUFACTURERS CONFIRM THREE-YEAR HYBRID AGREEMENT

All three current WRC manufacturers have embraced the sport’s exciting new hybrid era by committing to register and participate in the FIA World Rally Championship from 2022 to 2024.

Hyundai, M-Sport Ford and Toyota have pledged their futures to the production car-based series, which will undergo a landmark change in 2022 when top tier cars will be powered by a mix of an electric motor and the current combustion engine.

The agreement includes an equal contribution from the FIA and the manufacturers to the development costs of the new technology, which will have a strong focus on sustainability, safety and cost management.

The introduction of hybrid technology was announced in 2019 and close collaboration between the manufacturers, WRC Promoter and FIA led to technical regulations receiving a green light at this month’s World Motor Sport Council.

Hyundai Motorsport's new challenger will be based on the i20 N road car, a hot hatch inspired by the current i20 World Rally Car. Neither M-Sport Ford nor Toyota Gazoo Racing has confirmed which model they will use.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Croatia was pretty damn entertaining! I'll leave debating the incident on Sunday morning, but a fantastic recovery from Ogier. He seems to manage situations that would fluster others so well. Still turning out these sorts of drives this far into his career continually makes me question who the greatest Seb is. 

Gutted for Evans but, sorry to say it, I think the best man won.

Very impressed by Fourmaux as well. Not the first time he has driven the car, but the first time at this level and I thought he delivered a good result.

• Agree 2

A bunch of us have been chatting on Discord and think that the longer body indicates Ford switching from the Fiesta to the Puma (despite the front end clearly being a Fiesta).

Used Ford Puma

2 hours ago, PJTierney said:

A bunch of us have been chatting on Discord and think that the longer body indicates Ford switching from the Fiesta to the Puma (despite the front end clearly being a Fiesta).

Used Ford Puma

I hope not, but that mule definitely looks longer. That said, I understand that the 2022 cars will all be based on an FiA designed structure, with panels clad on top. With that in mind perhaps they will just be using modified Fiesta panels for next year. 

17 hours ago, tbtstt said:

Still turning out these sorts of drives this far into his career continually makes me question who the greatest Seb is. 

Very different eras though. Loeb entered when the 2.0L was on its peak and to be honest never really had the biggest competition after a few years. Ford and some of its drivers faltered on many occasions while they should have taken the title imo.

Ogier ofcourse had maybe the best car in the 1.6L WRC era with the Polo and maybe not had the strongest teammates imo. But on the other end he has won championships with different brands including VW, Ford (M-Sport), Toyota and also became two times third with Citroën (including with that crappy C3 at that point).

Therefore I give a sligth advantage to Ogier.

3 hours ago, PJTierney said:

The hybrid car can ofcourse be a Puma chassis with some Fiesta bodypanels. The Puma might look higher/bigger, but that is also because its higher on its wheels.  

la preț mic oferta specifica magazine populare ford puma vs fiesta -  latino-vibes.ro

The Puma is just 10cm longer than the Fiesta, and less than 2cm longer than Hyundai's i20 Coupé.
The Puma is just 7cm wider than the Fiesta.
The heighth of the Puma is (1555mm - 164mm ground clearance) 1391mm, and that of the Fiesta is (1469 - 121) 1348mm, so just 5cm higher.
So overall I think its that big of a problem. Yeah, maybe the car will look a bit more towards the C3 (or MINI Countryman) as its kinda shape. But i think overall wont be really a problem.

It reminds a bit of the Super GT Honda NSX mule they used for the HSV-010 base. Using the mid-engined NSX reworked panels for the front engines HSV-010 test mule.
fr-nsx_03.jpg?w=500&h=379&zoom=2

Edited by JorritVD

I don't think it's going to be based on the Puma. According to an article M-Sport already said in a press release that they're working on a Fiesta Rally1 for 2022. 

Edited by richie

M-Sport Ford Fiesta WRC Rally1

https://www.motorsport.com/wrc/news/msport-ford-car-name-rally1-car/6494610/

However, Team Principal Richard Millener told Motorsport.com at least one other option besides the Fiesta is being considered for next season.

While he would not be drawn on which model could replace it, a shift in buying tastes among European motorists makes a small crossover a possibility.

“There are still some discussions in terms of what is best,” he said. “As we start to test outside the UK in the coming months there will, I am sure, be some photos appearing, so I will leave it to them at the moment because it is easier than me saying anything that might end up with me getting into trouble.”

• Like 1
  • PJTierney changed the title to 2021 FIA World Rally Championship