Jump to content Jump to content

2021 FIA World Rally Championship

There's an oboard and you can 100% see that there was a spectator in the ditch where Paddon went off, and can then see them faking back down after on the outside camera. Unfortunately it's not looking great at the moment. Sad for the spectator, Hayden and John, and the sport as a whole
Underkex said:
I think like this web. The spectator falls. The slow-mo helps.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/motorsport/88601634/hayden-paddon-crashes-in-monte-carlo-spectator-injured
He didn't fall, you can see him getting hit by the rear-end of Paddon's car. The spectator flies to the slope and then rolls down the slope. The part where he gets hit isn't really well visible because of it being dark and everything happening so quickly but if you watch it many times you'll see what really happened.

Finnish media also told first that "a spectator fell" but a moment later they changed it to "a spectator got hit".
It's hard to say if the spectator was in the ditch and got thrown up by Paddons car, or if he sat on the ledge and fell down by the impact. On the onboard it looks like there is a spectator in the ditch, and if he was there then it might be really bad. If he was on the ledge it's more of a fall, which might be bad but probably not more than a few broken bones and a concussion. 

Edit: Studied both a bit more, and yeah. Guy in dark clothes stands there taking pictures, you can see the flash from the camera, and I'm quite sure he gets hit and thrown up the cliff. The placement fits, and you can see a dark thing getting thrown up. That's one bad hit.
I've seen a picture that very clearly shows him being hit, I obviously wont be sharing it here but its 100% clear, french news are also reporting he has died. http://www.dhnet.be/sports/moteurs/drame-au-rallye-monte-carlo-un-pilote-belge-a-assiste-au-crash-mortel-video-58812c49cd70e747fb4d3b8b (i just used google translate)
Etirion said:
I've seen a picture that very clearly shows him being hit, I obviously wont be sharing it here but its 100% clear, french news are also reporting he has died. http://www.dhnet.be/sports/moteurs/drame-au-rallye-monte-carlo-un-pilote-belge-a-assiste-au-crash-mortel-video-58812c49cd70e747fb4d3b8b (i just used google translate)
If this is genuine, then it's sad news indeed...
  • PJTierney changed the title to 2021 FIA World Rally Championship