Jump to content Jump to content
F1 2021 | Online Services Update 11:00AM UK Time | Expected to last no longer than 2 hours ×

2021 FIA World Rally Championship

It is indeed a sad that something like this happened on what should have been the great revival of the WRC. My thoughts go to the guy's family, to Paddon and John and indeed the sport. However the photographer should have known that the risk of positioning himself there was too great. Capturing great snapshots was more important to him than his own life. He's the 'Crocodile Hunter' of photographers.
Spectator means Spectator not Press, right?  This isn't a translation issue, right?  I feel sad no matter who, a life was ended.  

If it was a spectator, then when any of us go out there, please use your head and not your heart choosing a spot to watch from.  Watching outside of turns is just a dumb thing to do, accidents happen, but why push your percentage up so much?

He was stood on the outside of a bend covered in black ice, no cover, and no where to escape. As I suspected, the papers are already picking it up, the mirror in the uk has wrote an article, fortunately it's just factual and well written, but you just know a shitty article is on its way from the daily mail
KevM said:
As the Mirror states, the guy fell from a hillside.  

Nothing has been suggested that Paddon actually hit him.

French papers state he fell, suffered a heart attack & was airlifted to Nice hospital where he passed away
That would mean that the photographer next to the road wasn't the victim then because that would mean that he somehow had to teleport into the hillside and fall down.
Jepsertti said:
KevM said:
As the Mirror states, the guy fell from a hillside.  

Nothing has been suggested that Paddon actually hit him.

French papers state he fell, suffered a heart attack & was airlifted to Nice hospital where he passed away
That would mean that the photographer next to the road wasn't the victim then because that would mean that he somehow had to teleport into the hillside and fall down.
I actually thought it looked more like a tripod & bag at the roadside, but the internet has concluded that it was a badly placed photographer who was mauled by a group b car, so it must be true....
I'm not posting the pictures, but you can clearly see someone stood where Paddon hit the wall at the bottom of the hill from the onboard. He could have gotten out the way, but still. But if anything it's better that the papers report that he simply fell rather than being hit and launched up the hill, which is what I think happened
He was stood on the outside of a bend covered in black ice, no cover, and no where to escape. As I suspected, the papers are already picking it up, the mirror in the uk has wrote an article, fortunately it's just factual and well written, but you just know a shitty article is on its way from the daily mail
Yeah, absolutely. It's very sad (and you certainly shouldn't speak ill of the dead), but that was a stupid place to be spectating from. 

Sadly - and as you have already said @RallyDriven - I am not convinced that the rest of the press will check all the facts as carefully before posting articles. I really hope they do, as this isn't the sort of big story that we want attached to the new WRCars. 
versedi said:
Only two are responsible: the spectator himself, and other spectators around that didn't made him move. Seriously, I've been to many rallies and if there's some1 that stupid he's forced by other spectators to get the heck out of there. 
Just read on Swedish news that the man ignored other spectators trying to get him to move.
Tanak is fast!                                                                                                                  
  • PJTierney changed the title to 2021 FIA World Rally Championship