Jump to content Jump to content

2021 FIA World Rally Championship


Recommended Posts

bogani said:
edgenz said:
hooooooly sheeeeeeeit 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPxFmYVsGaE

body 18 characters too short
Dust is one thing @urgaffel, but creating the barrage of gravel thrown from the tires would be great challenge for you ;)
I know I know... It's one of those things that look really simple but when you actually try to make it turns out to be REALLY hard :(
Link to post
Share on other sites
urgaffel said:
bogani said:
edgenz said:
hooooooly sheeeeeeeit 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPxFmYVsGaE

body 18 characters too short
Dust is one thing @urgaffel, but creating the barrage of gravel thrown from the tires would be great challenge for you ;)
I know I know... It's one of those things that look really simple but when you actually try to make it turns out to be REALLY hard :(
Looks so damn cool though!
Link to post
Share on other sites
Going to be fun to see if Paddon will be back in form now. He was seriously fast in Portugal. I was rather surprised to hear that he tried to change his driving style to the car instead of the other way around. The '17 cars feel like they should be more tuneable to the driver with the active center diff.
Link to post
Share on other sites
Dytut said:
Going to be fun to see if Paddon will be back in form now. He was seriously fast in Portugal. I was rather surprised to hear that he tried to change his driving style to the car instead of the other way around. The '17 cars feel like they should be more tuneable to the driver with the active center diff.
I believe he's been trying to learn a cleaner style for about a year now, but has decided to screw it and go back to full Colin mode. Won't be great for tire conservation - but he'll hopefully be back to his best. 
Link to post
Share on other sites
Wonder how Sardegna will pan out.

I suspect we will have a repeat of Portugals day one, with the usual suspects quite close and probably mistakes and car problems that will make the big difference. I won't even wager a guess as to standings in the end, other than that Ogier and Neuville will probably both be on the podium.

Will be interesting to see how Mikkelsen will do. I don't think he can challenge for the podium, but I wouldn't be surprised if he snatches P4-6. Hope Paddon gets a gremlin free rally, he deserves a break now. 


Link to post
Share on other sites
https://twitter.com/HMSGOfficial/status/872764412125425664

As usual, shakedowns don't mean much. But it's good to see Lappi up there, shows he's meaning to push a bit this time. Mikkelsen is on pace, so also nice to see. Only weird thing was Otts rather slow times, hope there isn't anything wrong with his car.
Link to post
Share on other sites
Dytut said:
Ah, tire saving strategies again. I kind of feel like they should get a dedicated set to use for shakedown that isn't part of the full rally strategy.
Ya I think that would be a good idea. That's kind of how F1 does it with the dedicated Q3 tire. That way the rally drivers could use there dedicated shakedown tire and push their car to see if there is any problems.
Link to post
Share on other sites
Citroens disastrous season continues, Mikkelsen is fastest of them all but he's well off the pace. I'm glad for Esapekka Lappi first stage win and hopefully  Paddons bad luck is past now so he Tänak can have a good fight :)
Link to post
Share on other sites
YoMrWhite said:

Aaaaand Meeke crashes again, while Breen damages the gearbox on a jump. Awful.

Okay, the car may be difficult to drive, but that's no excuse. They had a full year of testing to find this out. What were they doing in 2016?


Idd, Meek has had 7 rallies and 7 crashes so far. Actually 2 in Argentina  :open_mouth: 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Meeke doesn't deserve his drive anymore. I'm sorry: he's quick and likeable, but you just can't crash eight times in seven rallies. He needs to go.

As for happy things, LAPPI! He's so damn cool. "Tell Tommi that 5 gears is enough!".

Latvala seems in a great position to attack tomorrow, with a great battle with Neuville looking likely.

Also quite surprised by Ogier's lack of pace and Hanninen's actual pace. Special rally :smiley:
Link to post
Share on other sites
I don't agree on Meeke needing to go.  The Citroen is obviously unstable when driven fast, but because he's a Colin style driver, he will be pushing it too much in order to keep up.
Breen is more cautious his times and lesser damage reflect this.

But yeah, what *were* they doing last year?  Maybe it's the pace, didn't know how fast they'd need to push I guess?
Link to post
Share on other sites
I don't agree on Meeke needing to go.  The Citroen is obviously unstable when driven fast, but because he's a Colin style driver, he will be pushing it too much in order to keep up.
Breen is more cautious his times and lesser damage reflect this.

But yeah, what *were* they doing last year?  Maybe it's the pace, didn't know how fast they'd need to push I guess?
They really need to go look at the blue prints again. I think Meeke is a great driver. The team just need to get their act together.
Link to post
Share on other sites
Meeke was only getting stronger in the DS3. Now the C3 has undone all that.

Compare the C3, where Citroën and Meeke had a year to work on it, to the Yaris, whose development looked in trouble, was restarted midway through, and then was practically overhauled with a few weeks before the season start when Latvala finally got a seat.

I can only echo everyone else here, and wonder what the heck happened with Citroën.
Link to post
Share on other sites
dwkGravey said:
Meeke was only getting stronger in the DS3. Now the C3 has undone all that.

Compare the C3, where Citroën and Meeke had a year to work on it, to the Yaris, whose development looked in trouble, was restarted midway through, and then was practically overhauled with a few weeks before the season start when Latvala finally got a seat.

I can only echo everyone else here, and wonder what the heck happened with Citroën.
there has been rumors, that Citroens budget was cut drastically and thanks to that they are using Öhlins suspension, that seems to be unreliable. BUT! Meek can be Colins reincarnation, but it doesn't change a fact that he's no.1 driver and developer who should be able to drive ON the limit of the car, not over it. 8 crashes on 7 rallies, that's clearly too much.
Link to post
Share on other sites
juu1ius said:
dwkGravey said:
Meeke was only getting stronger in the DS3. Now the C3 has undone all that.

Compare the C3, where Citroën and Meeke had a year to work on it, to the Yaris, whose development looked in trouble, was restarted midway through, and then was practically overhauled with a few weeks before the season start when Latvala finally got a seat.

I can only echo everyone else here, and wonder what the heck happened with Citroën.
there has been rumors, that Citroens budget was cut drastically and thanks to that they are using Öhlins suspension, that seems to be unreliable. BUT! Meek can be Colins reincarnation, but it doesn't change a fact that he's no.1 driver and developer who should be able to drive ON the limit of the car, not over it. 8 crashes on 7 rallies, that's clearly too much.
Toyota really pulled it off. Its crazy how competitive they are for a new team this season. I have no idea as to why Citroen would waste all of their R&D over budget cuts. They can offered it so why would they waste everything with a budget cut? That seems very strange. If I was Citroen I would revamp the whole car for the second half of the season. Stop to trying to make little adjustments to the current car and start work on a new one for the second half of the season.
Link to post
Share on other sites
Toyota really pulled it off. Its crazy how competitive they are for a new team this season. I have no idea as to why Citroen would waste all of their R&D over budget cuts. They can offered it so why would they waste everything with a budget cut? That seems very strange. If I was Citroen I would revamp the whole car for the second half of the season. Stop to trying to make little adjustments to the current car and start work on a new one for the second half of the season.
Yes, this season is basically lost. They can hope for strong results on the remaining tarmac rounds, but they should already develop the car for next season. And of course think about their driver lineup...

Link to post
Share on other sites
Neuville's not having a great day. First the dust on first stage of the day and than no brakes for the entire 12th stage. He was livid and I can understand that as this was the rally to get back on Ogier's tail in the championship standings seeing that he's running down in 7th.
Should be interesting to see if neuville can gain anymore ground on ogier now.
Link to post
Share on other sites
Kris is Citroen's development driver and has given feedback on Dirt 4's rally handling. Given problems of both of these it seems that maybe (just maybe) he isn't that good of a rally driver after all ;)
OK, OK, it was only a joke, no need to throw rocks at me... 
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • PJTierney changed the title to 2021 FIA World Rally Championship

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...