WRC 2019 Thread

Ya, what in the world is wrong for Meeke. Its painful to watch him crash now because I know it just moves him closer to being out of the team. Ott is doing an amazing job at Toyota. I did not expect him to be the best out of his team right out of the gate.

Yeah, Meeke just seem to have to drive too much on the edge at take too many risks to contend for the top times.

Latvala is another one that is really going down hill. He can do well on certain rallies but he just isn't fast enough on a regular basis to fight for the championship.

Meeke almost got himself, and his co-driver, killed. When I saw the pictures of the car, I couldn't believe they just walked out of that.

Wow! Meeke and Citroen have parted ways! Apparently due to safety concerns! Sounds like Citroen are worried about Meeke injuring himself

Wow! Meeke and Citroen have parted ways! Apparently due to safety concerns! Sounds like Citroen are worried about Meeke injuring himself
Unfortunate for Meeke, but I can understand Citroen's decision.

Very odd way to dump him though.
Just maybe half an hour earlier he posted that he is happy to have the support from Citroen and looking forward to Sardinia on his facebook page, so this all looks like they just fired him over twitter without speaking a word with him.

yeah **** ? i hope he didnt have to find out that he has no job ,by reading Twitter 
Citroën being Citroën, it wouldn't surprise me. 

yeah **** ? i hope he didnt have to find out that he has no job ,by reading Twitter 
Citroën being Citroën, it wouldn't surprise me. 
Hyundai and Citroën should make a trade. Mikkelsen for Meeke!

Absolutely gutted for Meeke. Probably unlikely to happen, but I would love to see another team give him a shot and for him to absolutely annihilate the C3's, just to confirm that it is the car at fault. 

I think it's a well-timed excuse and Citroen are more worried that Meeke is an expensive and inconsistent driver. He (and the C3) seemed to be having a better season, and if Budar really wanted to drop him then it would at least wait for the end of the year. But I guess Budar couldn't wait and the excuse presented itself.

I hope someone else gives Meeke another chance. This is good news for Ostberg at least.

They’ll do nothing now, but hover around the mid-field and come last in the Manu Championship.

He drove the car at 11 tenths to just about keep within reach of the rest of the field.  I think the car/team put him under massive pressure to overdrive 

A bit surprising, yet not that surprising. He has had waaaaay to many really dangerous crashes, and a lot of them have been when he's not fighting for top spots so they're just unnecessary. 

bogani said:
Yeah, Meeke just seem to have to drive too much on the edge at take too many risks to contend for the top times.

Latvala is another one that is really going down hill. He can do well on certain rallies but he just isn't fast enough on a regular basis to fight for the championship.
I don't quite agree about Latvala. There have been a fair number of times he's been in contention for a very strong finish and his car has just broken down since he went to Toyota. A fair number of times he's crashed out too but he would be looking much better points wise if those break downs hadn't happened.

Scyy said:
bogani said:

I don't quite agree about Latvala. There have been a fair number of times he's been in contention for a very strong finish and his car has just broken down since he went to Toyota. A fair number of times he's crashed out too but he would be looking much better points wise if those break downs hadn't happened.
Yesterday's episode of the Absolute Rally podcast touched on this, how Latvala seems to suffer more breakdowns than Tanak, and how often his Polo broke down while Ogier's carried on. So at what point is it bad luck, and when is it driving style?

The episode's discussion of Meeke post-Portugal was almost painful to listen to. Can't wait for next week's now.

dwkGravey said:
Scyy said:
bogani said:

Yesterday's episode of the Absolute Rally podcast touched on this, how Latvala seems to suffer more breakdowns than Tanak, and how often his Polo broke down while Ogier's carried on. So at what point is it bad luck, and when is it driving style?

The episode's discussion of Meeke post-Portugal was almost painful to listen to. Can't wait for next week's now.
True enough, can't discount that his driving style might be rougher on the car. 

Man that really sucks for Meeke. It would be a cool redemption story if he joined another team to fight back Citroen. Maybe if Evens underperforms (although he looks like he is improving) Ford M-Sport would give him that seat in the Fiesta.

dwkGravey said:
Scyy said:
bogani said:

I think Latvala has finally started to understand this himself, he did bring up that maybe it's his driving style that's too rough. And yes, many times his car seems to die out of nowhere, but it's such a pattern that he has to question himself if it's not due to him putting too much strain on the car somehow.

But dafuq is up with Citroens internal communications? About 45 minutes before the news of him being axed for the rest of the season he posts about getting ready for Sardinia and having the full support of the team. Quite unprofessional to say the least.

That kind of stuff just makes me mad. To do that to your leading driver who has worked his butt off is so uncool.

KevM said:
They’ll do nothing now, but hover around the mid-field and come last in the Manu Championship.

He drove the car at 11 tenths to just about keep within reach of the rest of the field.  I think the car/team put him under massive pressure to overdrive 
You say that, but Loeb lead in Mexico in the same car without pushing it to the absolute extremes (yeah I know road position helped). To some degree, he was under a lot of pressure to deliver results in possibly the worst out of the 4 cars, but huge accidents when you aren’t even in contention for a win don’t look good.

People like to compare him to McRae, but The difference is Colin won a driver’s title, almost two.

anyway, I like Kris, and he’s an incredibly talented driver, so I am sad to see him go.

KevM said:

You say that, but Loeb lead in Mexico in the same car without pushing it to the absolute extremes (yeah I know road position helped). To some degree, he was under a lot of pressure to deliver results in possibly the worst out of the 4 cars, but huge accidents when you aren’t even in contention for a win don’t look good.

People like to compare him to McRae, but The difference is Colin won a driver’s title, almost two.

anyway, I like Kris, and he’s an incredibly talented driver, so I am sad to see him go.

I wonder if Loeb will join full time in the next year or so. But for now I wonder what will Meeke do? He can’t go to another team unless someone makes an opening for it. And who will Citroen replace him with?

Yeah I wonder who they'll go for as no 1 driver for next year. They have two solid backups in Breen and Östberg, but neither of them are quite at the title challenger position unless they make some hard improvements over the end of the season. 
Loeb could come back for a full season, though i doubt it. 
There are some drivers that are decently fast on the board, that might be available. Sordo, Paddon, Latvala. But I'd say Latvala is the only one with the pace of them, and he crashes as much as Meeke. Ogier is always a possibility, but he seems to be happy at M-Sport as long as they keep him competitive. Ott won't move again next year, he's right where he wants to be.

If Citroen is serious about sticking around then they could play the long game and invest in younger drivers. Ostberg can bring in points every rally, and Citroen can develop Breen and Lefebvre. In a while Lappi, Suninen, Tidemund, and Rovanpera could be available. I doubt that next season Toyota would be willing to give up Latvala, or M-Sport Tanak, or Hyundai any of their drivers.