WRC 2019 Thread

I'm sure 10k doesn't put too much of a dent in Ogier's Red Bull money.

Speaking of Red Bull, I went to watch their Day 3 recap, and it was the power stage! How long has Red Bull been streaming the power stage (in addition to their Saturday stream)? I would have thought WRC would keep the PS to WRC+ Basic/All Live.

Fantastic rally, and incredible finish. Now to wait six weeks...  :s

Yeah, 10,000 Euros is probably peanuts in the grand scheme of things, but I still think it's total BS given the "crime" involved. 

I am yet to see any footage from the last day of the rally, but I was following the final stages via the live timing and it was a great finish.

I was actually hoping Ogier win in order to close the Championship back up, but impressive driving from Neuville and Ogier. Both of them are fantastically entertaining to watch when they are pushing hard. I am looking forward to catching up with the TV show tonight!

Yeah it was kind of incredible to see the onboards when both of them were going in full attack. Amazing that they managed to keep it on the road, saw many small mistakes from both of them. Quite insane when they managed to keep such close times also, it often ends up with a big mistake and losing a lot of time. 

Neuville was clipping so many banks yesterday morning when he was pushing, can’t belive he didn’t at least push a tyre off a rim! He also nearly rolled on the powerstage from a rut. It was an incredible spectacle watching the two of them fight like that

Neuville was clipping so many banks yesterday morning when he was pushing, can’t belive he didn’t at least push a tyre off a rim! He also nearly rolled on the powerstage from a rut. It was an incredible spectacle watching the two of them fight like that
I saw the Power Stage live and it was absolutely mental. Edge of my Seat for the last 10 minutes, it was incredible to see the two pushing so hard without making big mistakes. They both did a masterclass to be honest. Thierry was just that bit more mental and in the end it paid off

I just watched the onboards for the power stage side by side, and interestingly enough thet were neck and neck until the last real uphill part where Neuville took almost 2 seconds from Ogier. 

http://www.wrc.com/en/wrc/news/june-2018/budar-citroen-focused/page/5528--12-12-.html

Weeeeeeeell... no reliability problems is a bit of a stretch, Breens car stalled when he used the handbrake for half the rally :-P 

https://www.autosport.com/wrc/news/136764/ogier-likely-to-stay-at-msport-or-retire

Guess the silly season is upon us already ;-)

Interesting point that only Tänak and Mikkelsen has a contract for 2019. I wonder what movement will happen.

Ostberg has secured Meeke's seat for the rest of the season:

https://www.autosport.com/wrc/news/136868/ostberg-gets-meeke-seat-for-rest-of-2018

Great news for Ostberg (and I really like him as a personality), but I still think we are highly unlikely to see a C3 on the top step of the podium. 

Yeah great to see Ostberg getting that seat :-) 
We'll see what he can do, I wouldn't rule out a podium at Finland or Wales. Depends a lot on if he can get in tune with the car. If he does he might earn himself a permanent seat next season.

17 days to Finland, time to get the hype up ;-)

Toyota will have their upgraded engine for Finland, so I have a feeling that they'll be incredibly strong as long as the cars don't stop from reliability issues. I'd predict at least two podium spots go to Toyota.
The Fords were good there last year, so most probably Ogier will be up there with the Toyotas by the end.
Will be very interesting to see if Hyundai will manage to be competitive in Finland. By the sound of it they haven't made any real big changes to make the car fit better for the conditions, so I'd be surprised to see any of the Hyundais in the top 5 by speed alone. I'd wager Neuville will just try to go his own pace and hope the top contenders crasch out and net some points. 
Paddon will go all out but probably break something in the process. 
The Citroëns are dark horses. Breen has looked a bit down lately, and Ostberg is still a bit too new to the car to really consistently challenge in a rally like Finland where confidence is everything.

So possibly new rear wing on the Fiestas for Finland, aimed at rear stability and grip. I never got the feeling that it was lacking anything at the rear, but more is more ;-)

Dytut said:
So possibly new rear wing on the Fiestas for Finland, aimed at rear stability and grip. I never got the feeling that it was lacking anything at the rear, but more is more ;-)
Looks like they have made tweaks to the rear diffuser and rear arch exits as well? 

Have you found any good pictures? I've only seen the fuzzy testing video where I could see some changes to the upper wing but not much else.

Dytut said:
Have you found any good pictures? I've only seen the fuzzy testing video where I could see some changes to the upper wing but not much else.
Here you go :

Full analysis of the changes here : https://wrcwings.wordpress.com/2018/07/09/new-rear-aero-design-for-the-ford-fiesta-wrc-2018/

Love that new back on the Ford. Reminds me of the old days of Group B.

I wonder, if the new 2017-spec cars and teams raced in 1986, against Group B machines, how would they fare? I know these cars are faster on the stages but maybe rally length and toughness would be a challenge.

I wonder, if the new 2017-spec cars and teams raced in 1986, against Group B machines, how would they fare? I know these cars are faster on the stages but maybe rally length and toughness would be a challenge.
Well to be honest I think that the current cars are better in terms of reliability too. The build quality of these cars is absolutely incredible and they also manage to handle things like tire wear so much better than many would imagine. For example already with the older regulations the 2016 cars managed to run the whole first day of Rally Finland without service park and without issues and in fact the times just kept getting better on the second run of the stages even though the tires were pretty much done (can't really remember but it might have been 2015 when they ran the first leg without service park but oh well).

Jepsertti said:

Well to be honest I think that the current cars are better in terms of reliability too. The build quality of these cars is absolutely incredible and they also manage to handle things like tire wear so much better than many would imagine. For example already with the older regulations the 2016 cars managed to run the whole first day of Rally Finland without service park and without issues and in fact the times just kept getting better on the second run of the stages even though the tires were pretty much done (can't really remember but it might have been 2015 when they ran the first leg without service park but oh well).
So, utter domination then. Rally has come a long way.

Considering that the Group A cars beat the times set by the Group B pretty soon after regulations changed and that the group A are outclassed by WRCs who are outclassed by the WRC'17... yeah, they'd have a damn hard time to say the least ;-) 

I just checked this video of the testing in Finland of the Fiesta. The guy who posted it says aero engineers need to do much more work, but he probably doesn't fully realise how tough finnish jumps are... But there is one thing that seemed to me quite evident. When in the air, the car starts flying horizontally, but as time goes on the back of the car is pushed down by aero and the nose starts pointing to the sky. It's not a huge problema but I think they'll want to tone that down a bit for the rally
https://youtu.be/PEUMIlOBYNE

carpa said:
When in the air, the car starts flying horizontally, but as time goes on the back of the car is pushed down by aero and the nose starts pointing to the sky. 
That happens when driver keeps throttle down when approaching a jump. If you let go of a throttle, then depending on a car setup it should generally fly horizontal. I don't remember exactly, but it was either Russian , or South African driver in Citroen C4 WRC that almost did a backflip because of that mistake.

SamRWD said:
carpa said:
When in the air, the car starts flying horizontally, but as time goes on the back of the car is pushed down by aero and the nose starts pointing to the sky. 
That happens when driver keeps throttle down when approaching a jump. If you let go of a throttle, then depending on a car setup it should generally fly horizontal. I don't remember exactly, but it was either Russian , or South African driver in Citroen C4 WRC that almost did a backflip because of that mistake.
Think it might have been Novikov?

If there is an imbalance in front/rear downforce on the Fiesta it could be tricky over the jumps. Think Östberg without the rear wing in Sweden where he instantly was on his nose when landing. Not that extreme obviously but you get the point.

bogani said:

That was him indeed!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o980xDawQPY

SamRWD said:
bogani said:

That was him indeed!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o980xDawQPY
Yep, I believe he also had a fairly large accident shortly after on the same stage

Ford just keeps on cementing themselves as my modern day favorite rally team. Love the new look of the car. I think they will be a force out in Finland.