WRC 2019 Thread

Dytut said:
And if Ogier switches to Citroën Lappi might be interesteed in being the No.1 driver at M-Sport....
Please let it be Meeke! 

https://www.wrc.com/en/wrc/news/september-2018/neuville-hyundai-contract/page/5722--12-12-.html

Not unsurprising, but that means no major movement in the Hyundai camp. Still uncertain about Paddon and Sordo. I think Sordo might possibly move to another team or even retire, but more unlikely that Paddons moves since he has his whole Hyundai deal back home. My money is on a split car for Sordo/Paddon next year aswell.

Neuville and Ogier split by 0.3 seconds after the first day of Turkey after a quite weird day. Very impressive from both of them, running first on the road. Wonder if they'll dare put up a fight like Sardinia again... 

Well this is getting quite interesting. Everytime I open Instagram there's a new story from WRC and you can bet it's a car out... Good thing is, if he can keep it on the road, Tanak is back into the title fight basically

This has been such a tough event! I saw a really sad photo on twitter of Tanak hugging Craig Breen as his car burnt out. Poor bloke never has any luck!

If Tanak can hold on it will be interesting going into the last 3 rounds of the championship

I wasn't the biggest fan when they announced Turkey to be part of the WRC this year. But this has turned into quite the breath of fresh air for the championship.

Yeah was great to see more of an endurance event again :-) 
I thought it was going to be a fight between Ogier and Neuville on saturday, but it just goes to show that you have to drive with your brain on these events. Granted, Ogiers off was a massive mistake on his part, but for the rest it really was a case of go faster than Ott and your car breaks.

Dytut said:
I thought it was going to be a fight between Ogier and Neuville on saturday, but it just goes to show that you have to drive with your brain on these events. Granted, Ogiers off was a massive mistake on his part, but for the rest it really was a case of go faster than Ott and your car breaks.
I disagree, Neuville made no mistakes whatsoever from his side, he was just very unlucky his suspension broke for no reason at all, otherwise he would have been the one on the top step.
Tanak himself admitted as well that he was lacking the pace to keep up, he's just lucky his car didn't break and Ogier made mistakes

sqdstr said:
Dytut said:
I disagree, Neuville made no mistakes whatsoever from his side, he was just very unlucky his suspension broke for no reason at all, otherwise he would have been the one on the top step.
Tanak himself admitted as well that he was lacking the pace to keep up, he's just lucky his car didn't break and Ogier made mistakes
Yeah I agree that Neuville made no mistake per se, but the constant theme for the weekend really was that the car broke down if you went faster than Otts tempo. Granted, Ott held that tempo more out of lack of pace than anything else, but consistently going faster than that seemed to make something break. Ogier's wishbone wasn't really a mistake on his part either, and neither was Breen's fire or Ostbergs suspension and later turbo failure. Mikkelsen didn't really make a mistake when his transmission broke either. 
The only real mistakes that ended rallies were Ogier and Lappi, and maybe Evans could've avoided that rock aswell.

sqdstr said:
Who knows how many rock he hit to be fastest on the road before the suspension broke? I'm quite sure that's why Ogier used Sachs suspension on this rally again - more reliable than Rieger. 

Silly season continues: https://www.motorsport.com/wrc/news/meeke-on-toyota-radar-for-wrc-2019-return/3179672/

So Lappi looking more and more likely to go to Citroën, as we suspected. And Meeke a possibility for Toyota. 
A lot depending on what Ogier does now. If Citroën scales up to 3 cars next year they might settle on Lappi-Breen-Ostberg, but if Ogier switches then I'd wager that Ostberg loses his spot. And in that case, might Meeke go for the no.1 spot in M-Sport?

I think Ogier would be mad to go to Citroen, but they have always favoured national drivers so perhaps he can succeed where others have failed. 

I think M-Sport is the place where Meeke is most likely to redeem himself. I hope he gets the chance. 

There's one rally blog in Estonia and the author is usually quite reliable source, he's saying that Ogier and Lappi both have signed 2y contracts with Citroen. 3rd driver should be Breen. If Ogier goes, M-Sport will lose Red Bull and Wilson will need someone with deep pockets - Mads and Sordo both can bring their own sponsors, so Evans, Sunninen and Mads or Sordo for M-Sport? Toyota needs third - Meek or some one new? Jari Hutunen are rumored, but tbh I don't think that happens, he's still too green. Tideman deserves a shot at WRC, but another strong rumor is Skoda returning to WRC class, witch makes sense as VW is returning with WRC2 project and also there's that Skoda team new fancy factory. Hyundai will remain same and Paddon gets full season.
Actually I would like something like this:
Citroen: Ogier, Lappi, Breen. - Ogier developes great car and retires 2020, Lappi has great chance at future.
M-Sport: Meek, Latvala, Sunnine - Meek and Latvala could bring home another team title and Sunning can develop another year and peak on the next after that. Toyota: Tänak, Sordo and some one from WRC2 (Kalle maybe?) - Toyota plans Katsuta to be WRC driver sooner than later. I bet we'll see him as 3rd driver in two years. That means Toyota needs one reliable driver for points (thats Sordo as in my dream Latvala joins with M-Sport) and one who can take get used to the car and team and take Sordos place when Katsuta enter's the team.

Interesting stuff there @juu1ius :-)

If Ogier and Lappi both get signed for Citroën it's going to get interesting. I suspect they will keep Breen on as a third driver in that case, but they might keep Ostberg on instead.

As you say, someone with strong sponsor ties is always good for M-Sport, so Mads and Sordo are prime candidates. Mads also has quite a bit of experience with the car. Together with Suninen they might have a decent shot at the manufacturers title, but neither of them feels like a contender for the drivers title. Outside chance that Latvala might move there, but I personally don't think so. Evans... he's hanging on by a thread after this season. Meeke is a maybe as a real drivers title challenger.

Toyota will most likely keep Latvala with Tänak, which might work better when it's clear that Tänak is their no.1 driver so Latvala can relax from the fight in the team. Third driver in Toyota... hmmm... Katsuta maybe, but I'd be stoked to see Tidemand get a chance. Meeke is still an option here.

If Skoda would go for 2019 though... Imagine Tidemand and Kopecky in a car that they've developed in secret for the last year. If Skoda would join I feel like we would've seen or heard something more substantial by now though. Might be that they aim for a return to the main act in 2020.

The rally Monte Carlo 2019 guide is out with a very interesting info : 
http://acm.mc/wp-content/uploads/2018/09/RAMC-2019-Rallye-Guide-1-FR.pdf

In page 3 Christian Tornatore (Chief Marshall) of the Automobile Club of Monaco makes a quick presentation of the event where you can read  : 
"Un nouveau constructeur automobile pourrait faire son apparition au Championnat du Monde, nous le saurons avant la fin de l’année……"

Which translate to :
"A new car manufacturer might make an appearance in the World Championship, we will know about it before the end of the year ....."

So which manufacturer is it ? Skoda ? Somebody else ?

Accro2008 said:
The rally Monte Carlo 2019 guide is out with a very interesting info : 
http://acm.mc/wp-content/uploads/2018/09/RAMC-2019-Rallye-Guide-1-FR.pdf

In page 3 Christian Tornatore (Chief Marshall) of the Automobile Club of Monaco makes a quick presentation of the event where you can read  : 
"Un nouveau constructeur automobile pourrait faire son apparition au Championnat du Monde, nous le saurons avant la fin de l’année……"

Which translate to :
"A new car manufacturer might make an appearance in the World Championship, we will know about it before the end of the year ....."

So which manufacturer is it ? Skoda ? Somebody else ?
Polo R5? 

I suspect it's just the Polo R5 for WRC2, but there is a slim chance that it's a Skoda WRC. I can't really think of any other manufacturer that might go for it. If it's Skoda, they might have a reworked Polo WRC17 as their core car, which would be quite a challenger to say the least.

I can’t really see it. Look at when Hyundai, VW and Toyota joined, they were testing for months/years before their first event. Even if it is a reskinned Polo, it would still need to be tested again and developed more before next year.

Could this be more than a private rallycross project ?

Maybe there is an official Skoda involvement in that project.

Also this, maybe a way to test some parts undercover  : 

Just a few crazy hypothesis.

Otherwise it could also be porsche bringing the cayman rgt to customers after the experiment in Germany with Romain Dumas.

I can’t really see it. Look at when Hyundai, VW and Toyota joined, they were testing for months/years before their first event. Even if it is a reskinned Polo, it would still need to be tested again and developed more before next year.
Yeah, but VW usually do their testing wearing a Skoda badge.  There may be a VW come-back, but it’s years away.  Maybe Skoda WRC is a way back in to a much-changed sport without actually risking the VW WRC brand reputation ?

Yeah the fact that we've not seen or heard pretty much anything about them testing a car should mean they won't join. If they've managed to build and test at WRC17 car and kept it a complete secret then I'm impressed.
Some things might mean they're working on it though. The fact that VW enters with an R5 car kind of means that Skoda should change focus, since it won't be much of a point for two makes from the same owner battling in the same class. Also, Tidemand and Kopecky seem veeeeery content where they are and don't seem at all stressed out about not getting a place in the WRC class.

Peugeot first came out with the 208 R5 but then Citroen followed with the DS3 R5. Both brands are also from the same group so I wouldn't be at all surprised if this is the case with VW & Skoda.