WRC 2019 Thread

Underkex said:
I am also a huge fan of Meeke and Latvala. Bad rally for them. They are nice guys and fast drivers. It's a pitty what Latvala did, he should have taken care of the photographer.
What i will write next could be atleast in my mind, related what happened with Latvala and him not stopping to help that spectator. There is also other reason like, adrenalin rush, narrow field of focus when driving etc.

So to the point...
Anyone else noticed change in Latvalas tone, voice and attitude on interviews before Monte. Even on interviews on stages and between them he only once felt like him old self. Rest of the time he was acting really serious and as a fan of him i noticed that, he even seem to use different tone when speaking (much lower) and did not have even this same finnish rally accent any more. 
There was news before Monte, that he and his closest crew, family and friends (also his mental coach) had an special meeting where they discussed of many things what needed to change if he wants to be world champion. One of those areas they talked was his psychological attributes. That area is something many times mentioned and noticed by people to be his weak link (He also have said himself that, he things too much, and over analysizes, needs to grow mental etc.) he seems to be always very "emotional" and lively and he really seem to thing about things very deeply.

I don't think those things are weakness at all or something you should learn away from, vice versa if used and harnessed correctly it his greatest strength. Now to me it seems he is trying to be something he is not (cold hearted, winner takes it all, keeping it cool and "cocky" kind of guy) or atleast be super serious all the time.
What he should do is truly learn to trust himself and be that cool, lively, over analytical, kind guy who is also freakishly fast when he truly believes in what he can do. Then he would be World Champion, no doubt, because he truly is a gifted driver.

Just my two cents.. 

Agree +10000000
Latvala is a funny guy, a lovely finnish. His fans, like me, like that Latvala. He must be true to himself. the "you have to think in not thinking so much" is silliness. He must relax and be himself and try to be a bit more constant.

Unfortunately he's up against Ogier, who is not only as fast as Latvala, but very self-confident and who makes nearly no mistakes. Ogier is also one of those drivers who is fast everywhere and doesn't need to build up his speed in the course of a rally.

I would really like Latvala to win the title this year, but I doubt it will happen. If he can't beat Ogier in Sweden, the race for the title will again be over very quickly.

YoMrWhite said:

Unfortunately he's up against Ogier, who is not only as fast as Latvala, but very self-confident and who makes nearly no mistakes. Ogier is also one of those drivers who is fast everywhere and doesn't need to build up his speed in the course of a rally.

I would really like Latvala to win the title this year, but I doubt it will happen. If he can't beat Ogier in Sweden, the race for the title will again be over very quickly.

That is true and somehow i feel Latvala is trying to act like him now. Which won't work because he's not Ogier. I still believe that Latvalas biggest rival is still himself, and by that rivalry he is not consistent. I am not saying Latvala would run over ogier all the time even if he would find self confidence, but the way the situation is now there is not even a challenge for the young maestro on the title fight. 

I think Meeke has, or should i say he had some similar charasteristics, and seems to have found confidence, maybe in a form off "no pressure, i got the deal in my pockrt for next season" mentality. He also seems to be tired off thinking too much and explaining. He has now more like do and dont talk mentality.

I think many Finnish masters before were like that. No bs, and more "but i know i can drive" mentality. In a sense quite selfconfidence and maybe thick headed, but always doing their own thing! Same with Loeb, doing his own thing always and a trust in his abilities. All those people were true to them self.

I noticed that Latvala was speaking differently in the interviews before monte. A lot of drivers have it in them to be faster than Ogier, however Ogier is just consistently brilliant, and rarely has an off day, or even an off stage!

PaloSamo said:

To change the subject; a true sportsmanship:

I was rooting for Meeke, but this makes me think of Ogier as a lot more than just the dominant driver of our time. What a great competitor.

PaloSamo said:

I was rooting for Meeke, but this makes me think of Ogier as a lot more than just the dominant driver of our time. What a great competitor.
I was a little surprised to see that photo, didn't think Ogier would be like that, but that's very much changed my opinion on him, true sportsmanship

PaloSamo said:

I was a little surprised to see that photo, didn't think Ogier would be like that, but that's very much changed my opinion on him, true sportsmanship

I think it being the first event of the championship and the fact he has it pretty easy generally anyway, had a lot to do with it, but yeah was good to see that.
Or he may have been on the phone to his mate who put the rock there, just confirming the kill ;)

Being three time champion and having not much to prove anymore certainly plays a role. I really think he would have enjoyed his win even more if Meeke would have been there till the end.

I prefer a good battle over an easy win any day, and by the sounds of it Ogier genuinely was enjoying the fight between himself and Kris. Looking forward to Sweden now, I hope Paddon and Mikkelson can step up to Ogier there

I prefer a good battle over an easy win any day, and by the sounds of it Ogier genuinely was enjoying the fight between himself and Kris. Looking forward to Sweden now, I hope Paddon and Mikkelson can step up to Ogier there
I hope that either Mikkelsen, Paddon or Latvala win in Sweden, or at least finish ahead of Ogier.

yeah in one of the interviews with Ogier you could tell he was a little bummed that the fight with Meeke was over. Everybody needs a little competition sometimes. Bring on the next round, and go Paddon. 

Paddon seriously?????? Last year he was in Elfyn's pace, so i do not expectativas to much from him in sweden, gravel ones is where he go Fast.

I see guys that we can agree onto one thing here - it's time that Ogier's replaced or at least have a strong competitor.

I don't say that Latvala isn't - I really like that driver and I don't think he deserved that punishment with excluding from next WRC event - it's too harsh. It's obvious it was total adreanline and even if he seen that he hit a spect - well it's spect's problem. That was really stupid place to stand.
He's one of the three that I currently like besides of my favorite that's obvious - Latvala, Meeke, Paddon - I think they've something that rally driver needs to have.

P.S. I don't know why but from some time I've a feeling that Ogier's car seems to be better in accelartion than any other's car.

versedi said:
I don't say that Latvala isn't - I really like that driver and I don't think he deserved that punishment with excluding from next WRC event - it's too harsh.
It's a suspended ban—he won't be banned from an event unless he hits another spectator this year. He did get fined though.

dwkGravey said:
versedi said:
I don't say that Latvala isn't - I really like that driver and I don't think he deserved that punishment with excluding from next WRC event - it's too harsh.
It's a suspended ban—he won't be banned from an event unless he hits another spectator this year. He did get fined though.
Thanks for claryfing I must've read wrong info or got it wrong : )

versedi said:

P.S. I don't know why but from some time I've a feeling that Ogier's car seems to be better in accelartion than any other's car.
I don't think so. He is just an alien. It's a pitty that we never had a full season Loeb vs. Ogier in different teams.

Jost Capito just said that the VW team supports Latvala, and that he would have stopped had he known he hit someone, and I quote "This guy cries when a fly hits his windshield"

Paddon seriously?????? Last year he was in Elfyn's pace, so i do not expectativas to much from him in sweden, gravel ones is where he go Fast.

Just FYI - i think "go paddon" was a simple statement of support from a fellow New Zealander...   ;)

Oh, and go Paddon :D

versedi said:
I see guys that we can agree onto one thing here - it's time that Ogier's replaced or at least have a strong competitor.

I don't say that Latvala isn't - I really like that driver and I don't think he deserved that punishment with excluding from next WRC event - it's too harsh. It's obvious it was total adreanline and even if he seen that he hit a spect - well it's spect's problem. That was really stupid place to stand.
He's one of the three that I currently like besides of my favorite that's obvious - Latvala, Meeke, Paddon - I think they've something that rally driver needs to have.

Unfortunately, as with normal road use, if you come off of the road and hit someone with your car, you must stop. I do beleive he genuinely had no idea though, but understandably it simply has to be enforced.

When you are in the zone, there is a lot of adrenaline, Latvala was just thinking about getting back on the road asap. However, unfortunately our sport doesn't have a great rep for spectator safety, and when there's a video in the media of a rally car knocking down a spectator and seamingly driving off without caring, it doesn't look great. There's also the obvious safety point. I know the spectator was standing like a moron and bent down to save his camera rather than run for his life, but at the end of the day there's a rule in the sport that says if you hit someone, you should stop to see if they need medical attention, and Latvala broke that rule.

This is the most beautiful short film about Monte Carlo Rally. Chek this out

Toyota has signed Mikko Hirvonen as test driver to develop their 2017 car. In my opinion the best solution possible, since no currently active and relevant WRC driver would want to have a test role only. Mikko, together with Bryan Bouffier and Juho Hanninen isn't to bad of a testing line-up if you'd ask me.

http://www.motorsport.com/wrc/news/hirvonen-gets-wrc-testing-role-with-toyota-670281/

Hanninen & Bouffier also used to be Hyundai test drivers in the past.
So what happened with Sarrazin then now that Hirvonen, Bouffier & Hanninen are onboard?