WRC 2019 Thread

Hayden f-ing Paddon ladies and gentlement.
To take 11 seconds off Ogier in a powerstage, with the pressure of only a 2 second lead..... holy sh*t.
Kiwi's can fly...

This live coverage really made me long for El Condor in Dirt Rally. One can dream...
It happens to me in every rally LOL. I see the coverage and say oh, imagine that in DiRT Rally, even bad rallys like mexico.
But just imagine it! The rockyness of Greece with double rock faces on both sides, fast, flowing, open sections like Wales and Finland but sprinkled with unmarked rocks, ruts and dips, and a slippery dirt surface. Sure would make for a unique challenge, especially if it were to combine both the flowing bits and the twisty bits into one stage short enough for the Ego engine.

In other news, how many of you think Latvala still has an open title challenge? As much as I love him, I'm afraid his title hopes are all but gone, once again prematurely.
I think Jari Matti hopes are gone IMO, he is too far from Seb, the unique title contender could be Hayden like Thierry in 2013, could fight to him but at the end Ogier will be the champ.
BTW, is there any fan of WRC that is a fan of Ogier? I hate so much Ogier every stage end he is crying, oohh i hate this road position, if he have a good position like today, ohhh i had 2 days in bad road position. Think in Tanak Ogier, poor him he drives a Fiesta which is miles from the polo and with the DMacks which are really bad in comparison to the michelins, despite this rally he had some good results, but when he finish the stages he smile and say it is everything perfect.

This live coverage really made me long for El Condor in Dirt Rally. One can dream...
It happens to me in every rally LOL. I see the coverage and say oh, imagine that in DiRT Rally, even bad rallys like mexico.
But just imagine it! The rockyness of Greece with double rock faces on both sides, fast, flowing, open sections like Wales and Finland but sprinkled with unmarked rocks, ruts and dips, and a slippery dirt surface. Sure would make for a unique challenge, especially if it were to combine both the flowing bits and the twisty bits into one stage short enough for the Ego engine.

In other news, how many of you think Latvala still has an open title challenge? As much as I love him, I'm afraid his title hopes are all but gone, once again prematurely.
I think Jari Matti hopes are gone IMO, he is too far from Seb, the unique title contender could be Hayden like Thierry in 2013, could fight to him but at the end Ogier will be the champ.
BTW, is there any fan of WRC that is a fan of Ogier? I hate so much Ogier every stage end he is crying, oohh i hate this road position, if he have a good position like today, ohhh i had 2 days in bad road position. Think in Tanak Ogier, poor him he drives a Fiesta which is miles from the polo and with the DMacks which are really bad in comparison to the michelins, despite this rally he had some good results, but when he finish the stages he smile and say it is everything perfect.

Oh how I detest him.

le whine i sweep roads
le cri today best not win

Just watched Paddons onboard from the power stage... and that was some awesome driving. I only saw one small mistake for the whole run (you hear Haydens "aaaarrrrrhhg" on the intercom :-) ).
The hysterical laughter when they realize they've won... classic :-D

I can understand him, but i wouldnt call myself a fan. He just wants fair competition for the top drivers and none of that stupid artificial better road position shit. He wants to win fair and FIA change the rules to try and make him stop winning. No sportsman wants that.

He is the best rally driver and I can appreciate that. I still hope Latvala can contest him but he never has shown the endurance that rally requires. I kinda lost hope for paddon after sundays stages before powerstage and kinda hoped ogier would get his first win in argentina to show how its done. He kept cruising till the end and last day turned up the heat when others started to have their cars break down from driving so hard. 

The thing is, someone has to be first on the road, and is it fair to put the *worst* drivers in the most unfair conditions? Plus, only half the rallies being first on the road is actually bad. And also, most rallies do repeat stages in the afternoon, so he's only sweeping for half the stages, then on the last day he's running at the back, where he wants to be. For a 3x world champ, it just seems ridiculous to moan about these stupid things

The thing is, someone has to be first on the road, and is it fair to put the *worst* drivers in the most unfair conditions? Plus, only half the rallies being first on the road is actually bad. And also, most rallies do repeat stages in the afternoon, so he's only sweeping for half the stages, then on the last day he's running at the back, where he wants to be. For a 3x world champ, it just seems ridiculous to moan about these stupid things
I couldn't agree more. If the weaker drivers recieve disadvantages, it just widens the gap between them and the frontrunners. Besides, if the frontrunners, are good, they might as well cope with road sweeping.

In fact, I think that the order should be for all three days. I don't see the reason behind flipping the order around on the last day.

think of it this way; what can the worst driver gain from the most beneficial spot? He'll be say 20 sec instead of 40 sec slower per stage(thats being pretty generous). But that sort of difference doesnt change much when the slowest are many minutes behind the lead at the end of the rally, but those seconds are crucial for the lead battle. Its an artificial way to nerf the championship leader and it didnt use to be this way, its only since 2015 and thats why ogier is complaining about the change. 

What is the point of world rally championship? To find out who is the best rally driver in the world, and how do you do that? by giving the fairest playing field to the leaders of the championship. The fairest playing field is at the back of the field (albeit some locations that is not good but vast majority it is the other way around) It used to be this way, but they needed some way to make the championship seem closer and more interesting to viewers but you cant help if one guy is that much better than the rest, you need better field of drivers for that.

(He's still winning the championship, what does it say about the competition? how bad has the championship gotten...)

Keep in mind that first on the road doesn't have to be a disadvantage. It's certainly the best position to have on tarmac, and it doesn't make much of a difference at faster gravel events, like Poland and Finland. In Sweden and Monte Carlo, it all depends on the weather.

That leaves us with about 7 rallies, where first on the road is usually a clear disadvantage. But this can change, too, for example with hanging dust or in the case of rain. Considering all this, I don't think it's that much of a factor in the course of a season.

I was lately thinking about Ogier en Loeb using performance increasing drugs or so; Like Adderal. Since this is more and more a thing in sports
Oh, you and your hackusations  ;)

I was lately thinking about Ogier en Loeb using performance increasing drugs or so; Like Adderal. Since this is more and more a thing in sports
No, the reason for their success is low DOR and bonnet cam. 

gheeD said:
think of it this way; what can the worst driver gain from the most beneficial spot? He'll be say 20 sec instead of 40 sec slower per stage(thats being pretty generous). But that sort of difference doesnt change much when the slowest are many minutes behind the lead at the end of the rally, but those seconds are crucial for the lead battle. Its an artificial way to nerf the championship leader and it didnt use to be this way, its only since 2015 and thats why ogier is complaining about the change. 

What is the point of world rally championship? To find out who is the best rally driver in the world, and how do you do that? by giving the fairest playing field to the leaders of the championship. The fairest playing field is at the back of the field (albeit some locations that is not good but vast majority it is the other way around) It used to be this way, but they needed some way to make the championship seem closer and more interesting to viewers but you cant help if one guy is that much better than the rest, you need better field of drivers for that.

(He's still winning the championship, what does it say about the competition? how bad has the championship gotten...)
I do agree, but at the same time I understand WRC. Another nine years of a single manufacturer/driver dominating the championship will kill the interest completely. It's already low.

I can sure understand Ogiers frustration though. He's by far the best driver out there. I would poke my chin out and say he's better than Loeb.

Call me pessimistic, but we all know what's gonna happen in the end. 
Ogier is an animal when he gets into the zone. At times he looks more forbidding than Loeb did. 
I fully agree with that: some of the moments that occur when Ogier is pushed are spectacular. I personally think he is way more ragged when on the limit that Loeb ever was...

...but that obviously wasn't enough this weekend: great job from Haddon! Makes you wonder, how long can Latvala (and arguably Neuville) retain their seats when you have drivers like Paddon posting results like that?

tbtstt said:
Call me pessimistic, but we all know what's gonna happen in the end. 
Ogier is an animal when he gets into the zone. At times he looks more forbidding than Loeb did. 
I fully agree with that: some of the moments that occur when Ogier is pushed are spectacular. I personally think he is way more ragged when on the limit that Loeb ever was...

...but that obviously wasn't enough this weekend: great job from Haddon! Makes you wonder, how long can Latvala (and arguably Neuville) retain their seats when you have drivers like Paddon posting results like that?
Yeah, but Latvala still finished 2nd in the championship last year, and this weekend he suffered from two mechanical failures. I really like Neuville, I think he can be right up there when he's in form. Sadly he suffered mechanical failures too. But think of it like this, he lost 6 minutes from a breakdown, and still beat Camilli who didn't have a single problem all weekend.

What excites me a bit about Paddon is that it feels like he hasn't reached his peak performance yet. With the exception of Meeke I just don't feel like there's any other driver right now that has the potential to really go a full championship against Ogier. 

What WRC needs is... Sebastien Porkhammer :D 
We need som Ivanushka/LaPremier in it too. Entertainment at it's finest!

Dytut said:
What excites me a bit about Paddon is that it feels like he hasn't reached his peak performance yet. With the exception of Meeke I just don't feel like there's any other driver right now that has the potential to really go a full championship against Ogier. 
I think Latvala or Mikkelsen have more chances than Meeke. He's like JML back in the late 2000s and early 2010s, quick and crashy. Mikkelsen has to improve still, but he can get there. Paddon could perhaps be the only challenger left this year, and maybe next year Latvala's luck will get better. Ostberg relies on mistakes to get ahead, because he's too consistent, I feel.

Also, Camilli.

Malcom Wilson, what were you thinking?

Paddon has definitely proved himself this weekend. I can't even imagine the pressure he had coming into that powerstage, a 2.6 second lead to the 3x world champion? And yet, he not only pulled it off, he walked away with 28 points. No one else has done that since VW entered the championship.

Sadly though, he's still got a way to go to reach that robot like consistency and speed of Ogier. His talent is ridiculous

Dytut said:
Dont think Paddon can challenge Ogier in a Championship, because of its unexperience and he needs to do a lot of tests in tarmac, his really weak spot.
But having Neuville and Sordo as Team mates that really help Paddon driver development in tarmac.

tbtstt said:
Makes you wonder, how long can Latvala (and arguably Neuville) retain their seats when you have drivers like Paddon posting results like that?
Neuville is the one I worry the most about. Paddon is doing already what Neuville could and should be doing. Imagine if Hyundai had Neuville driving at his full potential paired with Paddon.

Speaking of, this was a fantastic result for the new i20 too, not just winning, but nobody rolled or crashed or broke down (too much). That's pretty positive for a not-totally-VW-dominated 2016.

Other highlights from the weekend for me were all the awesome drone footage, especially the straight-down views (let's get those in DR!), and Paddon's bumper cam. The top of El Condor was harrowing from that view. So many legs to crunch.

I'm not too sure if Hyundai is the right place for neuville, however I see other moves as a bit too risky. M-Sport just don't have a competitive enough car, and Toyota is way too quiet for my liking. VW are happy with their trio, and I'm not sure if they would take him. Citroen would be the only option really. I like Thierry, so I hope things work out for him soon

The WRC manufacturers nowadays are... well, boring. Ford, VW, Hyundai and Citroen. I miss the good ol' days when you had Ford, Hyundai, Citroen and Mitsubishi, Toyota, Subaru, and Skoda (even though it wasn't competitive). That's almost double the amount of cars variety in the championship. And it was extremely interesting (well, until Loeb came obviously).

It's funny that manufacturers are backing out of the whole WRC deal more and more often. Wonder if it's purely down to costs or there's something more to it.