WRC 2019 Thread

Personally I think Kubica has already had his chance to show what he can do, and sadly that is being blazing fast and wrecking early. Feels like he still has that formula mentality of hotlapping and that just wont work in rally. I dont blame teams for not taking him in, he exactly hasnt showed great rallying in his years of WRC.

I heard over the weekend that while Petter will be doing WRX in 2016 it will be with VW. 
That's an interesting bit of gossip. I had wondered if there was a possible Toyota hook up in the works (as that would also tie in with Petter's Dakar comments a few months ago).

If Solberg does go down the VW route for rallycross I wonder if he will be driving as part of the Marklund or Kristoffersson teams, or if he will run as a privateer team again?

My Preferred Lineup
VW: Ogier/Latvala/Mikkelsen
Citröen: Neuville/Ostberg/Lefebre
Hyundai: Paddon/Sordo/Abbring
M-sport: Meeke/Solberg
M-Sport II : Bertelli/Kubica mixed with Lappi
Lappi when Kubica does RC1 he RC2 to be WRC2 champion with New Fiesta R5

tbtstt said:
I heard over the weekend that while Petter will be doing WRX in 2016 it will be with VW. 
That's an interesting bit of gossip. I had wondered if there was a possible Toyota hook up in the works (as that would also tie in with Petter's Dakar comments a few months ago).

If Solberg does go down the VW route for rallycross I wonder if he will be driving as part of the Marklund or Kristoffersson teams, or if he will run as a privateer team again?
I heard it'd be more of a factory VW effort.

gheeD said:
Personally I think Kubica has already had his chance to show what he can do, and sadly that is being blazing fast and wrecking early. Feels like he still has that formula mentality of hotlapping and that just wont work in rally. I dont blame teams for not taking him in, he exactly hasnt showed great rallying in his years of WRC.
TBH I can't agree with you. You have to put few pretty strong points into the equation:
  • Kubica's still recovering after accident in which he almost lost his right hand. If you'll pay attention you can see in videos how he holds tools with his forearm instead of hand - he's simply not able to hold tools in his right hand
  • He's private team was made of 6 passionate people work their asses of.
  • Pirelli had really terrible season. Tyres coming off rims without puncturing them, really? They're efficient on sprints but when there's more kilometers to drive they simple wear of too fast.
  • He had like 3-4 training through whole season, while fabric teams have at least one training before each event.
  • Besides driving he had whole team-management thing on his head (at least for the first part of the season).
  • Transforming from racing driver to rally driver takes time. And the time has started to give results now.
I do strongly believe that they will find a place for him somwhere.
There are also roumors about Matton giving him a Citroen but not as a part of fabric team (possibly due Total-Lotos conflict of interests). I'm also pretty sure Wilson is strongly considering putting him into team - question is will Robert go with that as he already had experience with M-Sport in 2014?

I've also give a thought about Toyota hiring Kubica to help with developing the car until 2017 [he has quite experience with help in development for Mercedes] but this is no more to happen with rumours about Toyota not even starting in 2017.

My dreamteam's for 2016 would be:
VW: ...
Citroen: Meeke / Kubica
M-Sport: Evans / Ostberg (sorry for him I really like him but I need place for Robert ;) )
Hyundai: Sordo / Neuville and Paddon goin in for few rallies.

I'd like to see what Kajetanowicz could do in the WRC. He's consistent and quick, especially on events he hasn't done before.

I think Kajto would be similar to Evans, consistent but not super quick. To be honest, I think WRC is a step too far for Kubica at the moment, I really think he should have a crack at the full ERC; more tarmac events, at a level he's won at before. Use that series to build consistency (as it did for Neuville and Mikkelsen). Would be great to see a two car, Lotos-backed ERC effort.

function9 said:
I'd like to see what Kajetanowicz could do in the WRC. He's consistent and quick, especially on events he hasn't done before.
No, I can't pronounce his name

function9 said:
No, I can't pronounce his name
I believe it's pronounced kat-an-o-vich
Its Ka - yeah - tano - vich

Please Ostberg not go to MSport, he is the second more experienced actual drivers before JML, and he is slow as s***, still prefering mad tanak and hesitant elfyn

I think Kajto would be similar to Evans, consistent but not super quick. To be honest, I think WRC is a step too far for Kubica at the moment, I really think he should have a crack at the full ERC; more tarmac events, at a level he's won at before. Use that series to build consistency (as it did for Neuville and Mikkelsen). Would be great to see a two car, Lotos-backed ERC effort.
It would be kinda of step backwards...the gap between ERC and WRC is too big.

Ostberg has such a poor reputation that I feel is massively undeserved, for the last couple of years he's managed a 'best of the rest' and done a great job with getting the best result possible for the car he HD, very much like Hirvonen did before. He's also only a year or two older than Tanak or Evans, th e same as Paddon and nearly a decade younger than Meeke. Citroen would do a decent job to keep both, unless Neuville was available and Matton reckons he can turn his clock back two years.

Lets not forget that Kubica was the WRC2 champion in 2013 in an RRC, which is very close to WRC spec. He has also shown great outright speed and I definitely think he deserves to be in the WRC. However I think him wanting to run his own team due to his sponsorship deal is hurting him.

I'd love something like this:

VW: Ogier, Latvala (WOO) and Mikkelsen (YEAH)
Citroen: Meeke and Neuville, perhaps Lefebvre
M-Sport: Evans and Ostberg/Bertelli
Hyundai: Sordo and Paddon, Abbring in the second team

Honestly, I think Meeke is a great, albeit sloppy driver. I can't bear see him go.

Hayden Paddon is absolutely incredible. If only he had a faster car... Give him a few years and he'll be scaring Ogier and Latvala.

Tänak is not good IMO. I had hopes for him but I feel he failed to deliver. I really like Elfyn though. I think he has potential.

Not much to say on Sordo, apart from his bad luck, or Abbring. Ostberg... meh. Nothing too extraordinary for me.

It's a shame Neuville dropped so low. He was really promising. What could have happened?

VW should stay the same. I genuinely think Latvala might win the championship next year, as long as he delivers like in 2014 all year long. Go JML!

Maybe it's the i20 not having as much mechanical grip as the Polo and DS3 have causing him to push even harder and making mistakes as a result? Don't really know how the i20 performs as far as grip goes.

I wonder how quick the new I20 will be. It would be good for the 2016 season to see other manufacturers winning stages a little more often. 
What will hapen with the 'old' I20's, are they available for pritvateers? 

tbtstt said:

I heard it'd be more of a factory VW effort.
That is interesting. Marklund Motorsport have links to the VW WRC team and Kristoffersson Motorsport are sponsored by a dealership, but neither of them are proper works teams.

A VW full works effort would be pretty interesting to see but, personally, I hope that Petter sticks with the DS3. A couple of years ago the European Rallycross Championship was flooded with DS3's, but there were only a couple being used by the front runners this year. Would be a shame to see the DS3 completely disappear off the grid in 2016.

I heard rumours that the main reason for VW's speed above the other teams is their suspension technology. Don't know how much truth to that, but supposedly its leaps and bounds ahead of the other teams