WRC 2019 Thread

I heard rumours that the main reason for VW's speed above the other teams is their suspension technology. Don't know how much truth to that, but supposedly its leaps and bounds ahead of the other teams
Yep that's right. It was very visible how each car handled the big bump on the inside of the right hander I was at on shakedown.

I heard rumours that the main reason for VW's speed above the other teams is their suspension technology. Don't know how much truth to that, but supposedly its leaps and bounds ahead of the other teams
Slightly off topic, but the Andretti Autosport team (who run the VW Beetles in the American Global Rallycross Championship) have been accused of fitting some sort of trick traction control system to the cars. Impressive engineering (but incredibly poor sportsmanship!) if that is the case. 

As for the WRC Polos, they do look incredibly planted, even when they are travelling sideways at speed. 

This is more of an opinion and wish than based on facts.  It would be cool to see Audi in WRC again, not sure how that would work out with VW owning them.  Some of the older 'members' stepping up to compete too would be nice.  Again if only $$$ was never an issue.

Audi in the WRC will not happen with both VW and Skoda of the Volkswagen Group allready into rallying and Audi competing in WEC and DTM  ;) 

I haven't seen anything of Tanak's retirement from GB, so I just watched his onboard on WRC+ of stage 16, and he was incredibly unlucky. It just looks like he touched a bank, which 99 times out of 100 wouldn't have done anything. There were videos of Ogier and Mikkelson hitting banks in the Polo twice as hard as Tanak did.

Do you know any site that have each rally with a 1 hour long recap posted anywhere?
http://www.redbull.tv/shows/AP-1GJUZWUCW2111/world-rally-championship-2015

Got this one off ramPage!

Annoucement on the Citroen Racing website...

http://www.citroenracing.com/en/2015/news/wrc-news/69144/citroen-maps-out-its-sporting-future/

...indicates that Citroen will sit out the 2016 WRC season and return again in 2017. Bad news for Meeke and Ostberg! 

So in 2017 we will have VW, Citroen, Hyundai, M-Sport and Toyota!!? That is great news :smiley: 
Shame though we have to miss citroen for 2016... Or could there be a possibility that they will start as a privateer team next season?

Bad news for Kris Meeke. After Mini it's the second time he is on a team that quits - or takes a hiatus. I really hope he finds a place at M-Sport or Hyundai. Or at least in a private Citroen.

Lots of drivers for less seats next year then. It's a bit of a shame we will be missing a team next year, but I'm very glad they chose WRC over WTCC

Perhaps Meeke jumped ship before now, maybe he's been a catalyst in Citroen pulling 2016?  Strong rumours that he's for Hyundai.

By the way, what happened with Matthew Wilson? I remember him getting injured at some point but looking back at the season trough the link @Porkhammer posted you can see him doing recce work. Was it just funding stopping his WRC career or something else?

KevM said:
Perhaps Meeke jumped ship before now, maybe he's been a catalyst in Citroen pulling 2016?  Strong rumours that he's for Hyundai.
Autosport are reporting that Ostberg won't be a part of Citroen's plans in 2016 and that they are still in talks with Meeke. 

The ideal solution would be for Citroen to allow Meeke to race for another marque in 2016, but I don't know how feasible that is (and it would surely be beneficial for Meeke to be involved with the development of the new car if he is to drive it in 2017). 

Short term the Citroen annoucement isn't great news as it seems even more likely that the 2016 season will be a VW whitewash. I personally think that's a price worth paying for seeing a decent 2017 season and beyond though: Citroen (hopefully) competitive again, VW, Ford, Hyundai and the return of Toyota.

Areyouben said:
By the way, what happened with Matthew Wilson? I remember him getting injured at some point but looking back at the season trough the link @Porkhammer posted you can see him doing recce work. Was it just funding stopping his WRC career or something else?
I suspect that the fact he wasn't that good and only had a seat because Daddy ran the company might be the reason. 

Or maybe they do what VW did before the Polo when they put Ogier and Abbring in a pair of Skoda's. I could see Citroen let Meeke run a R5 DS3 next year while the 2017 machine is being developed.

Areyouben said:
Just find mattyjim1 on instagram and you will be automatically jelous about what he do, he tests thr fiesta and is the manager of Bentley MSport at GT3, BTW please Kris to MSport!

KevM said:
Hyundai have no cars for top drivers, Neuville, Paddon and will not accept an old i20, they just have 2 new i20's , if they give a old one to Thierry he will retire from Hyundai Motorsport

Areyouben said:
It's for the best for their future though, if they want to take the time to build a competitive car. Might be so that Meeke and Ostberg stay to test and develop the new car?

We'll see. 2017 is going to be a very interesting year, that's for sure.

2016 not so much. Looks like a walkover for VW. Somehow I don't believe, Hyundai will be able to close the gap. And M-Sport just hasn't got the same resources. Hope I'm wrong though.

The drivers seem positive that Hyundai are making a big step forward next year with the new car. But this news is looking like we will be sacrificing 2016 for 2017 in terms of competitiveness and excitement

edit: Meeke and seb confirmed for part 2016 programme and 2017 development apparently 

Partial programme for Lefevbre and Meeke with PH Sport, according to the former's Twitter: https://twitter.com/SLefebvreRallye/status/667346679109189632?s=09

Today's announcement from Citroen makes no sense for me. They will quit the WRC for 1 year, and then they will enter it in 2017 again...Why the heck they can't participate in 2016, just like collecting the kms and experience for the future?

szekto said:
Today's announcement from Citroen makes no sense for me. They will quit the WRC for 1 year, and then they will enter it in 2017 again...Why the heck they can't participate in 2016, just like collecting the kms and experience for the future?

$$.

They need $ for developing new car that could compete with already developed VW for 2017.