WRC 2019 Thread

Anders Jæger will be the new co-driver for Andreas Mikkelsen next year. Which makes perfect sense since he was supposed to take over from Ola in the 2017 season.
https://www.andreasmikkelsen.no/news/anders-jaeger-to-co-drive-andreas-mikkelsen/

Game of Chair continues, now they have to find a new co-driver for Veiby. If they keep to Norwegians, it might be Stig Rune Skjærmoen.

Myrvold said:
Anders Jæger will be the new co-driver for Andreas Mikkelsen next year. Which makes perfect sense since he was supposed to take over from Ola in the 2017 season.
https://www.andreasmikkelsen.no/news/anders-jaeger-to-co-drive-andreas-mikkelsen/

Game of Chair continues, now they have to find a new co-driver for Veiby. If they keep to Norwegians, it might be Stig Rune Skjærmoen.
If Veiby has a JWRC or WRC2 campaign i think that Emil Axelsson will be the man who will sit with ole, but i think maybe he will do just WRX

In other news, it looks as if Toyota and Citroen are bidding for Meekes services. I think that's great news for a guy who was more or less out of rallying three years ago.

I thought they wouldn't go with a 1st driver but rotate positions between Neuville, Sordo & Paddon depending on which rally it'll be

Oh my god, Hyundai confirmed Sordo as 1st driver poor Hyundai's, why Thierry deserved that, Thierry get out of there now!!
They already confirmed Neuville as first driver last week I thought? Which was surprising to me after his approach at the end of last season.

“We have a strong pool of drivers with a range of experience and strengths. We will not constrain ourselves by fixing specific car line-ups at each rally, instead assembling the best composition for each event to maximise our championship chances.
All three drivers will contest all rounds, including the rally in China that will be new for everyone. They will have equal opportunities in the drivers’ championship."

http://www.wrc.com/en/wrc/news/december-2015/hyundai-drivers/page/3044--12-12-.html

Yeah, that's what they say, but they have to nominate one specific driver to do a minimum of ten events. Even if they plan on all three to do all fourteen rounds, there's an official #1 role that has to be bestowed, and they gave this to Thierry, much as I believe Sordo earned it over the last two years.

Hmm, having said that, maybe they dropped that rule for this year.

YoMrWhite said:
Looks like Meeke is going to be confirmed as driver for Citroen, with a contract for the next three years.
yeah
also he will be driving DS3 for ph-sport along with Lefebvre for the 10 rallies in 2016 and he will test a brand new C3 WRC 2017

YoMrWhite said:
Looks like Meeke is going to be confirmed as driver for Citroen, with a contract for the next three years.
Based on what we have seen thus far, Citroen certainly seems to be a safer bet for Meeke than Toyota. As much as I hope that Toyota arrive on the scene with a competitive car in 2017, what has been seen of their program hasn't filled me with confidence. 

Citroen do seem to have gone off the boil a bit over the last couple of years, but they are making the right noises now and, with the WTCC effort ditched, they will surely be more focused on the WRC. Great to hear that Kris will be keeping his hand in next year as well. 

Yes, I think Citroen is the safer choice, too. They know how to build winning cars, while Toyota is out of rallying since 1999. My guess is it will take some time for them to be competitive.

For Meeke, a 3-year-contract is a nice and welcome new experience, after being under contract for only one year twice in a row. Some job security, at last.

YoMrWhite said:

For Meeke, a 3-year-contract is a nice and welcome new experience, after being under contract for only one year twice in a row. Some job security, at last.

That's what he said when he got the drive with MINI! :smiley: Citroen seem committed though and I really hope it comes together for Meeke.

tbtstt said:
YoMrWhite said:

That's what he said when he got the drive with MINI! :smiley: Citroen seem committed though and I really hope it comes together for Meeke.

Well, Mini is a part of BMW, and BMW has never been fond of rallying. (Aaaaah, dirt on my car, how disgusting!) So it was kind of stillborn, even though Dave Richards managed it.

Citroen on the other hand has a long legacy in rallying, dating back to the 60s, altough they had their share of disasters as well (Group B...). Nothing is guaranteed, of course, but I think they won't pull the plug on this, even if they don't win immediately.

YoMrWhite said:
Its the right move for him.  I don't believe that Toyota will make the grade as far as performance goes.  Meeke could have hugely assisted with development, his background is mechanical engineering, but with Citroen, he's at home and better the devil you know and all that....

Myrvold said:

If Veiby has a JWRC or WRC2 campaign i think that Emil Axelsson will be the man who will sit with ole, but i think maybe he will do just WRX

Nah, as Marklund and VW Dealer Team Sweden have merged, the plan is to run 2 cars for Marklund and Kristofferson, then run a 3rd car on a full-time testing schedule. That will most likely be Veiby. But as his dad, is the boss of  EVEN Management, who have Andreas Mikkelsen, Pontus Tidemand and Esapekka Lappi in the stable, I don't think Veiby will move away from rallying.
Axelsson was confirmed to leave Tidemand, before Jæger took the spot alongside Mikkelsen, quoted as "Getting new responsibilities as duties". I don''t think they knew everything back then.

Well, he doesn't need to look at the championship standings and hold back. Should make for quick times - and maybe some crashes...

Really pleased Citroen have given Meeke a 3 year deal. This is exactly what he needs to show what he can do. I really hope Citroen give him the resources he wants and needs to develop the new C3 WRC. He's got plenty of experience of R & D work with Citroen having done it with both the C4 and Xsara, as well plenty of mileage in the DS3.

Glad to know Citroen has the funding to let Meeke wad up cars for three more years! :smile: 

I really hope Meeke has a better season in 2016, you can just tell watching the rally reviews how truly upset he gets about letting the team down or crashing out.  He was in tears when he won Argentina, he really deserved it.  He has the pace to compete with the best, but Ogier is on another level and Latvala is very close to Ogier.  I think the VW is just the better car at the moment, rarely breaks down if ever and just seems unbeatable.  I remember watching a couple of post stage interviews with drivers from Ford, Citroen etc, they say they are pushing 110% and couldn't do anything else but they just can't match the Polo stage times. 

I hope 2016 mixes things up, watching Ogier win constantly is getting stale.  We've seen that for almost a decade with Loeb.  I'd love to see Meeke, Paddon, Mads, or someone else start winning rallys.  When the fight for a world championship is over half way through the season, it kinda sucks.

griev0r said:
I really hope Meeke has a better season in 2016, you can just tell watching the rally reviews how truly upset he gets about letting the team down or crashing out.  He was in tears when he won Argentina, he really deserved it.  He has the pace to compete with the best, but Ogier is on another level and Latvala is very close to Ogier.  I think the VW is just the better car at the moment, rarely breaks down if ever and just seems unbeatable.  I remember watching a couple of post stage interviews with drivers from Ford, Citroen etc, they say they are pushing 110% and couldn't do anything else but they just can't match the Polo stage times. 

I hope 2016 mixes things up, watching Ogier win constantly is getting stale.  We've seen that for almost a decade with Loeb.  I'd love to see Meeke, Paddon, Mads, or someone else start winning rallys.  When the fight for a world championship is over half way through the season, it kinda sucks.
I have high hopes for Latvala next season. He had an abysmal start this year, unfortunately, and the title battle was lost in Argentina. If he gets a win in Mexico and Sweden (supposing he won't win in Monte Carlo), we'll have a good battle. Also, with the new i20, I suppose the Hyundai trio will have a go at the VWs.

M-Sport... Camilli, seriously?

Yeah, Latvala is my second favorite driver in the WRC.  Don't get me wrong I can appreciate just how good Loeb and Ogier are at the pinnacle of the sport, but they are clinnicle, and not very interesting personalities tbh.  I would love to see Latvala really challenge Ogier next year, and that no BS team orders like Citroen did for years get in the way of that.  I hope 2016 is Latvala's year, he's a great personality in the sport and has been at it for many years, plus he just has a great style to his driving that is fun to watch.

Even though I'm American I have a soft spot for British drivers, I love Mcrea/Burns/Meeke etc.  Would love to see Kris mix things up next year.