WRC 2019 Thread

sqdstr said:
And still people keep putting Neuville out of the top 3, out of top 5 even.
Sure he screwed up in Monte & Sweden because of his own fault but after that he got five consecutive top 3 finishes with 2 wins even.
He's the only one with an unbroken string of powerstage points.
This is the part where I get to say I told you so :wink: :smiley:

Mikkelsen has hardly set the world alight in the Citroen yet but still early.Meeke seems to be the only one that can be competitive in that weird car.How did Citroen mess this car and season up so much :/ 

Crash Tänak                                                     

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIU1qF8M4Gs

Neuville's just going steadily fast now, very impressive. I was just thinking of the start of sunday that Neuville is pushing just hard enough that he can force a mistake from Ott, and he sure did. 
But quite impressive of Ogier to salvage a podium even though he had a really bad weekend. Never seen him go off as much as in Poland this year.

Latvala and Tänak both need a miracle to catch up, so really a two horse race now. Will be great to see how it turns out :-)

Its interesting to see ogier on a more equal car. There are multitude of things that contribute to winning 4 championships and its not all about how powerful your car is, but he looks definitely shook this year. He's grasping the championship lead currently not because he's fastest, but because he still has that consistency you require to win. Its remarkable how previous years he was able to control the championship by being ridiculously consistent and still win most rallies. This year the speed is not there, but more than anything he doesnt push (too much) over his limits and scores consistent points while everyone else still lacks that certaint level of consistency in the championship. (imo its ogier who's freakishly consistent, and others are doing just fine. I like that we see people crashing and making errors, that is part of the excitement of rallying. They want to win and push hard and problems occur) 

Pretty much every rally he is 4th-5th fastest judging by the pace. But because thats not everything you need in rallying he is the current leader of the championship, but his lead is definitely gone if he cant push like tänak. 

Also Thierry Neuville will be at Autoglym Rally for testing for Rally Finland, and its about 1 hour drive away from me. I most definitely want to go there and see the new cars in action, if i cant make it to Jyväskylä this year. :)

ehh... WHAT A RALLY ! :D I was a bit gutted after the mistake Ott made, but it went by pretty fast, better go out with a fight than settle for 2nd again. Neuville had strong rally, hats off to him. Sunninen and Veisby were big suprises and I'm glad Paddon got his podium at last, it has been a long time.
The atmosphere was fantastic and thrilling to watch the battles, I hope it stays in calendar for next year, even thou spectators safety is a big issue, some people just want to get killed :neutral: Anyways, we (#goOTT) will be back stronger in Finland, see you there!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIBaRYuJTV8

btw, this song made PL people go crazy  :D https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWv0gxGaVi0

Neuville is showing blistering pace in these rallies and is looking very consistent at the moment. Tanak was incredible and honestly, I preferred to see him out rather than settling down for second. Paddon finally gets on the podium, he deserved it! Latvala has been so unlucky, let's hope for a good result in Finland.

Kris Meeke is the true winner of this rally and can now walk in the Citroën hospitality saying "Told ya!".
The Citroën C3 WRC has the same physics of DiRT Rally over a crest.

gheeD said:
Its interesting to see ogier on a more equal car. There are multitude of things that contribute to winning 4 championships and its not all about how powerful your car is, but he looks definitely shook this year. He's grasping the championship lead currently not because he's fastest, but because he still has that consistency you require to win. Its remarkable how previous years he was able to control the championship by being ridiculously consistent and still win most rallies. This year the speed is not there, but more than anything he doesnt push (too much) over his limits and scores consistent points while everyone else still lacks that certaint level of consistency in the championship. (imo its ogier who's freakishly consistent, and others are doing just fine. I like that we see people crashing and making errors, that is part of the excitement of rallying. They want to win and push hard and problems occur) 

Pretty much every rally he is 4th-5th fastest judging by the pace. But because thats not everything you need in rallying he is the current leader of the championship, but his lead is definitely gone if he cant push like tänak. 

Also Thierry Neuville will be at Autoglym Rally for testing for Rally Finland, and its about 1 hour drive away from me. I most definitely want to go there and see the new cars in action, if i cant make it to Jyväskylä this year. :)
Remember that Ogier didn't win that much last year? Mai my due to road position, but he hardly won any gravel rallies.

One thing I feel this year, is Ogier has been incdredibly lucky. How many times has he left the road this year and gotten away with it?

Monte: same ditch as Elfyn who lost loads of time
Sweden: spun at the start and could have easily got stuck
Mexico: two offs, one of them he went off quite badly and was very lucky to get away with it

hes probably had some more I've forgotten, plus leaving the road several times in Poland. Can he give some of that luck to Paddon?

Remember that Ogier didn't win that much last year? Mai my due to road position, but he hardly won any gravel rallies.

One thing I feel this year, is Ogier has been incdredibly lucky. How many times has he left the road this year and gotten away with it?

Monte: same ditch as Elfyn who lost loads of time
Sweden: spun at the start and could have easily got stuck
Mexico: two offs, one of them he went off quite badly and was very lucky to get away with it

hes probably had some more I've forgotten, plus leaving the road several times in Poland. Can he give some of that luck to Paddon?
The road order rule definitely affected his performance, and it still does on friday. But yet he still managed impressive streak of wins in the later part of the season. ( later on he won the tarmac rallies, getting great benefit from being first? you decide) Regardless he was a dominant force at VW, but looks to me only thing he has left at M-Sport is his consistency.

Also, dont forget about how he had basically zero technical issues vs latvala having amazing amount of breakdowns. 

I never saw Loeb struggling or complaining (or at least not that much like Ogier does) about road positions when there weren't any rules about it

sqdstr said:
I never saw Loeb struggling or complaining (or at least not that much like Ogier does) about road positions when there weren't any rules about it
My guess is that this is due to Loeb being Loeb, and Ogier being Ogier. ;)

Why rally is beautiful and why Rally Poland is awesome.

Mads at 0:35 <3 Ott 3:55 <3 <3

2:40 he was really pushing too hard. 

https://www.facebook.com/Rallysemlimites/videos/1637824356259489/

versedi said:

Awesome spectacle, just a shame spectators and organisers are doing their best to get it removed from the calendar!

https://youtu.be/tpWFF6caVEg

versedi said:

That was better than any of the footage from the live stages last weekend, and the best I've seen the 2017 cars looking. I'd show that to anyone who asks what's so great about rally.

versedi said:

Awesome spectacle, just a shame spectators and organisers are doing their best to get it removed from the calendar!

Gotta agree and disagree at the same time.
Problems are everywhere, not only in Poland.

Just look at spectator safety in Portugal or Cyprus. 

About the firemans car - stupid young safety man waving his hand instead of running into middle of the road and stopping them. Safety crew are one of biggest problems. PZMOT instead of hiring people are grabbing people from street.
How 40kg weighting boy is supposed to scream at a group of 20 estonians and make them move somewhere? 
BTW. Main reason for canceled stage were Estonians in forbidden places. 

versedi said:

About the firemans car - stupid young safety man waving his hand instead of running into middle of the road and stopping them. Safety crew are one of biggest problems. PZMOT instead of hiring people are grabbing people from street.
How 40kg weighting boy is supposed to scream at a group of 20 estonians and make them move somewhere? 
I doubt it was only Estonians who acted crazy. I was on SS12 that was delayed a lot because of safe issues - too many spectators running over road thanks to the lack of safety crew. 1 dude for every 100m is clearly too few for official spectating spot :/ Also, spectating line was only on one side and safeties was ONLY on that side. there were big Estonian crowd on the other side, but they were far away from road and in good spot. Unfortunately they attracted punch of morons (from various nations) who moved closer and closer with every car. Heli brought couple safeties more, but it wasn't still enough. One of them stayed on his spot and didn't pinch an eye that 10m from him were spectators grossing the road all the time. He pretended to be on a call when some Polish dude started yelling at him. Worst spectator I saw was on ss14 - some Belgian guy stood outside of a fast bend about 1m from road O_o. Then again there were two safety guys on SS4 who were best at their job I've ever seen. S curves in the middle of the forest, about 20 spectators. We gave them couple of beers after the stages. 

versedi said:
versedi said:

Of course, didn't mean it was just Poland! Argentina also has lots of problems, and even here in the UK we have problems! 

PaloSamo said:

I know that the incident didn't happen on any stages, and I am biased, but just a fine for that? Seems lenient to me..but what else could they do I suppose.

PaloSamo said:

I know that the incident didn't happen on any stages, and I am biased, but just a fine for that? Seems lenient to me..but what else could they do I suppose.
It's normally how traffic violations are dealt with in rallying. It's not related directly to timing so a time penalty is not really that relevant to it. Surprised that seb would be stupid enough to do something like that, especially in the position he's in (world champ)

PaloSamo said:

It's normally how traffic violations are dealt with in rallying. It's not related directly to timing so a time penalty is not really that relevant to it. Surprised that seb would be stupid enough to do something like that, especially in the position he's in (world champ)
He would've gotten a time penalty if he wasn't in time for the next time control, so I'd wager it was a calculated risk. A fine is better than getting a time penalty for him.

http://www.wrc.com/en/wrc/news/july-2017/ogier-no-kamikaze/page/4686--12-12-.html 

Ogier: I'm no kamikaze

juu1ius said:
versedi said:

I doubt it was only Estonians who acted crazy. I was on SS12 that was delayed a lot because of safe issues - too many spectators running over road thanks to the lack of safety crew. 1 dude for every 100m is clearly too few for official spectating spot :/ Also, spectating line was only on one side and safeties was ONLY on that side. there were big Estonian crowd on the other side, but they were far away from road and in good spot. Unfortunately they attracted punch of morons (from various nations) who moved closer and closer with every car. Heli brought couple safeties more, but it wasn't still enough. One of them stayed on his spot and didn't pinch an eye that 10m from him were spectators grossing the road all the time. He pretended to be on a call when some Polish dude started yelling at him. Worst spectator I saw was on ss14 - some Belgian guy stood outside of a fast bend about 1m from road O_o. Then again there were two safety guys on SS4 who were best at their job I've ever seen. S curves in the middle of the forest, about 20 spectators. We gave them couple of beers after the stages. 
Well I've sounded like a do*** and didn't wanted to so sorry for that!
Of course it wasn't only, there's always idiot no matter what country he is from. 

It's just a thing that I've heard - maybe it was actually like you say - they've positioned themselves properly but some idiots joined them and because there was a lot of Estonian flags that's why one could assume they all are. 

versedi said:
Well I've sounded like a do*** and didn't wanted to so sorry for that!
Of course it wasn't only, there's always idiot no matter what country he is from. 

It's just a thing that I've heard - maybe it was actually like you say - they've positioned themselves properly but some idiots joined them and because there was a lot of Estonian flags that's why one could assume they all are. 
No worries mate! I've seen enough complete retards on local rallies to know that we may have had plenty to do with the stage cancellation :smile: