WRC 2019 Thread

griev0r said:
I really hope Meeke has a better season in 2016, you can just tell watching the rally reviews how truly upset he gets about letting the team down or crashing out.  He was in tears when he won Argentina, he really deserved it.  He has the pace to compete with the best, but Ogier is on another level and Latvala is very close to Ogier.  I think the VW is just the better car at the moment, rarely breaks down if ever and just seems unbeatable.  I remember watching a couple of post stage interviews with drivers from Ford, Citroen etc, they say they are pushing 110% and couldn't do anything else but they just can't match the Polo stage times. 

I hope 2016 mixes things up, watching Ogier win constantly is getting stale.  We've seen that for almost a decade with Loeb.  I'd love to see Meeke, Paddon, Mads, or someone else start winning rallys.  When the fight for a world championship is over half way through the season, it kinda sucks.
I have high hopes for Latvala next season. He had an abysmal start this year, unfortunately, and the title battle was lost in Argentina. If he gets a win in Mexico and Sweden (supposing he won't win in Monte Carlo), we'll have a good battle. Also, with the new i20, I suppose the Hyundai trio will have a go at the VWs.

M-Sport... Camilli, seriously?
I have studied Camilli times of 2015 season and he have done really really Fast ones, beating the skodas in spain, beating lefebvre by 1sec/km in MonteCarlo, and many more, also by watching his pet vídeos in the yaris and in the Fiesta he have a really good pace, and his hairpins are masterclass, behind bobby k ones which are awesome simply perfect

Myrvold said:
Anders Jæger will be the new co-driver for Andreas Mikkelsen next year. Which makes perfect sense since he was supposed to take over from Ola in the 2017 season.
https://www.andreasmikkelsen.no/news/anders-jaeger-to-co-drive-andreas-mikkelsen/

Game of Chair continues, now they have to find a new co-driver for Veiby. If they keep to Norwegians, it might be Stig Rune Skjærmoen.
If Veiby has a JWRC or WRC2 campaign i think that Emil Axelsson will be the man who will sit with ole, but i think maybe he will do just WRX
Well, I called it :)

PaloSamo said:
I wouldn't rule out Toyota for 2017. Look what VW did in their debut 2013 season. 

VW had Ogier and Mikkelsen as test drivers for the whole year 2012. After fighting for the title with Citroen, Ogier basically took a year off, competing only in a few events in WRC2 for Skoda.

This worked obviously great. Now on the other hand, Toyota couldn't lure Meeke away from Citroen and all the other top drivers are under contract, too. Maybe they could still get Evans. But right now it looks as if development is in the hands of retired drivers and/or youngsters. No ideal scenario for sure. I could even imagine them to unretire Hirvonen.

YoMrWhite said:
PaloSamo said:
I wouldn't rule out Toyota for 2017. Look what VW did in their debut 2013 season. 

VW had Ogier and Mikkelsen as test drivers for the whole year 2012. After fighting for the title with Citroen, Ogier basically took a year off, competing only in a few events in WRC2 for Skoda.

This worked obviously great. Now on the other hand, Toyota couldn't lure Meeke away from Citroen and all the other top drivers are under contract, too. Maybe they could still get Evans. But right now it looks as if development is in the hands of retired drivers and/or youngsters. No ideal scenario for sure. I could even imagine them to unretire Hirvonen.

VW have put massive efforts and budget to achieve that results, and toyota would be a hyundai competitor, with worst drivers

VW also had the Fabia as a live development test bed.

My prediction is, Toyota will struggle to compete even at the level of Hyundai

VW came in with a strong car and very strong drivers
Hyundai came in with a good car and good drivers.

Hyundai have had a further two years of competitive development for both the car and drivers, so Toyota need to find some talent to join them next year, otherwise they will probably struggle to compete against the others

My prediction for Toyota: Due to the lack of firstrate drivers to test and develop this year, 2017 will mostly be another year of development. They will have one of the current Hyundai drivers in their fold, or maybe Ostberg. From 2018 on, they should be competitive, if they have the right car and concept. And unlike M-Sport, money shouldn't be a problem.

YoMrWhite said:

My prediction for Toyota: Due to the lack of firstrate drivers to test and develop this year, 2017 will mostly be another year of development. They will have one of the current Hyundai drivers in their fold, or maybe Ostberg. From 2018 on, they should be competitive, if they have the right car and concept. And unlike M-Sport, money shouldn't be a problem.

I suppose they might pick up Evans and some other rising star along the way, maybe from the ERC or the IRC. Hell, maybe even a World RX driver!

This season I really, honestly expect to see Hyundai at least fighting for the manufacturer's title.

YoMrWhite said:
PaloSamo said:

Ogier was engaged in a full wrc2 campaign missing only New Zealand ;) 

PaloSamo said:
YoMrWhite said:
PaloSamo said:

Yes but they tested in EVERY RALLY after the WRC events with the polo, and there were extensive test weeks

PaloSamo said:
YoMrWhite said:
PaloSamo said:

Yes but they tested in EVERY RALLY after the WRC events with the polo, and there were extensive test weeks
I remember watching the WRC reviews the year he was driving for Skoda, and he was pushing into WRC times in a S2000 car constantly.  Def not my favorite driver, but can't deny his talent.  He had an insane high speed crash in the Skoda if I'm not mistaken that year also, can't find the video.

Kris Meeke is my boi, but he isn't doing a full season as far as I know which sucks.  So this year, I'd love to see Latvalla do better.  Love that guy but he seems to have the worst luck.

YoMrWhite said:
PaloSamo said:

Yeah, I agree with @YoMrWhite . VW threw money at the WRC program and were using all arms of the VAG to accumulate data on the car and experience for their drivers. 

I really hope that Toyota are competitive in 2017, but the way the program has been run thus far does not fill me with confidence. 

Toyota are nowhere near the level of preparation VW was aiming for and achievement during the season before joing the competition.

Toyota team based in Finland are still assembling technical staff, while VW was probably at the same flat out finishing off the VW Polo R V1, which would then later hit test stages for ****loads of kms ahead of the season.

Mr Makinnen mentioned they want to start testing in spring, but VW had established drivers, a test mule in Fabia, a test car soon after, unlimited testing and a full team in place.

Either Toyota Gazoo steps on it right now or they risk embarassing themselves come WRC 2017 season start...

Anyone else, feel like the championship will loose something when Kubica leaves it after Monaco? Yes he's not been successful, but he's only been rallying 5 years or so... and is certainly right up there for pace when hes not in a ditch. (and arguably the quickest on tarmac)
He is certainly one of the most exciting drivers to watch.

PaloSamo said:
YoMrWhite said:
PaloSamo said:

Checked it. You're right.

austinb said:
Anyone else, feel like the championship will loose something when Kubica leaves it after Monaco? Yes he's not been successful, but he's only been rallying 5 years or so... and is certainly right up there for pace when hes not in a ditch. (and arguably the quickest on tarmac)
Fully agree: you just know he is going to end up in a bush, but right up until that point he is usually fantastic to watch. 

I guess there is only so long you can fund a driver like that though...

Well he was largely funding himself last year wasnt he? But yes, it is expensive machinery.

tbtstt said:
austinb said:
Fully agree: you just know he is going to end up in a bush, but right up until that point he is usually fantastic to watch. 

I guess there is only so long you can fund a driver like that though...

Must. Not. Behave. Like. A. Fanboy.

I'll stay out of this one...

Or not. 2015 season for Kubica was 50% mistakes / 50% issues due to organisation of the team/lack of budget. He was left with no choice, but to create a team from scratch in very little time and that didn't work.

For Monte Carlo he has teamed up with BRC so hopefully he can focus mostly on driving, not running a team...

I think if Kubica was really to leave WRC for good the sport would lose a great deal. It is my view that his participation increased interest in the series in many countries and his talent is pretty clear to see. I think it would a shame if the commercial climate of WRC/or views of people who make the decisions lead to him going elsewhere. If he goes back to circuit racing I think he'll excell there and bring exposure to someone else.

I can understand that to someone with a slightly more neutral stance towards Kubica he may appear to be Crashbica, but I've been following him closely and honestly believe that with a bit more time and proper funding he'd really be at the top.

With Kris Meeke opting to go with Citroen for 2017 I think Toyota should really consider Kubica. He's got an outstanding experience in car and setup development, and it's said that he's really technical and detailed with engineers. And he's f****** fast.

Fanboy out.

Jost Capito has left VW for McLaren, he's probably got bored...

& M-Sport have secured funding to confirm a full program in 2016

KevM said:
& M-Sport have secured funding to confirm a full program in 2016

Thats good news!

And a nice analysis MastaVonBlasta, In some ways you could say that he drives like McRae did, but without the 'rallying since a boy' experience. And yeah the detailed technical understanding is something an experienced F1 driver will inherently carry with him, even into a completely different discipline.

Yes, Kubica comes from karting and circuit racing, but he also has good rally kilometres under his belt, pre-WRC too. And he is driving with one hand!

Elfyn Evans, partnered by a new co-driver Craig Perry, will compete in a full British Rally Championship campaign in a Ford Fiesta R5 backed by DMACK.

PaloSamo said:
Elfyn Evans, partnered by a new co-driver Craig Perry, will compete in a full British Rally Championship campaign in a Ford Fiesta R5 backed by DMACK.
I'm still mad at Malcom Wilson for replacing him with Eric Camilli.