WRC 2019 Thread

I think it would be cool to get a round of the WRC over here in the states. About Meeke though I think we will still see him next year. There is no way a huge player in the sport will just leave the championship.
I'm surprised there's little to no talk about this. I think a round in the US could be really beneficial, as there is a lot of money there and not a lot of coverage. It could really help break the sport into a new market 

I think it would be cool to get a round of the WRC over here in the states. About Meeke though I think we will still see him next year. There is no way a huge player in the sport will just leave the championship.
I'm surprised there's little to no talk about this. I think a round in the US could be really beneficial, as there is a lot of money there and not a lot of coverage. It could really help break the sport into a new market
I wonder why? I think Oregon, Michigan, or Washington would be great venues for the WRC. It would be really exciting to see those cars come over here. I wish more motorsports in general would have a round in the US. Same with World RX, I wish they had a round here as well.

I wonder why? I think Oregon, Michigan, or Washington would be great venues for the WRC. It would be really exciting to see those cars come over here. I wish more motorsports in general would have a round in the US. Same with World RX, I wish they had a round here as well.
When the addition of a fourteenth event was first floated a couple years ago, Canada was an idea for a second snow rally (as well as Japan). A WRC round in Québec or Ontario could attract a lot of American and Canadian teams who can't make it to Mexico.

dwkGravey said:
When the addition of a fourteenth event was first floated a couple years ago, Canada was an idea for a second snow rally (as well as Japan). A WRC round in Québec or Ontario could attract a lot of American and Canadian teams who can't make it to Mexico.
Which leads me into another question. Why is the WRC calendar so short? They have plenty of room to expand into the Americas and Asia. So why don't they?

dwkGravey said:
Which leads me into another question. Why is the WRC calendar so short? They have plenty of room to expand into the Americas and Asia. So why don't they?
It is a really long calendar, one more rally could be possible, but I think the only Racing series that has more rounds than WRC is F1, am I right? WTCC, GP2, WEC, WRX, FE, Cross Country, I mean World Championships, not national because the logistics cost are significant lower, like NASCAR, I would remove México from the calendar and I think USA could be a good place to host a WRC round, also Chile has good roads and intentions to do a WRC Rally. Safari rally is impossible but this new generation Cars, with the external roll cage like old days safari rally would look meannnnnn

dwkGravey said:
It is a really long calendar, one more rally could be possible, but I think the only Racing series that has more rounds than WRC is F1, am I right? WTCC, GP2, WEC, WRX, FE, Cross Country, I mean World Championships, not national because the logistics cost are significant lower, like NASCAR, I would remove México from the calendar and I think USA could be a good place to host a WRC round, also Chile has good roads and intentions to do a WRC Rally. Safari rally is impossible but this new generation Cars, with the external roll cage like old days safari rally would look meannnnnn
MotoGP and his lower classes Moto2 and Moto3 have 18 rounds, World SuperBike has 13 as the WRC. So yes I'd say the calendar of WRC is quite long, although for a rally fan it will never be long enough :p

While the promoter would love to add New Zealand to the calendar the teams signaled a clear veto to a 14th round as there's no budget allocated to it.

carpa said:
dwkGravey said:
MotoGP and his lower classes Moto2 and Moto3 have 18 rounds, World SuperBike has 13 as the WRC. So yes I'd say the calendar of WRC is quite long, although for a rally fan it will never be long enough :p
Yes you are right i forgot MotoGP and SBK, but I hate motorbikes, so I mean FIA championship

https://motorsport.hyundai.com/driver-line-up-adjusted/ Mikkelsen will drive for Hyundai for 3 rounds.

Now that was kind of unexpected, I really thought Andreas was heading straight into a permanent spot at Citroën. So this was why Citroën were reluctant to talk about their driver lineup for spain I guess.

I've had a feeling that Andreas was looking for a spot on Hyundai with his friend Neuville ever since VW went, but that Hyundai had already cememted their drivers for 2018. But they did leave a window open for a fourth car in 2018, so maybe that's the plan. Sordo might step down for 2018, but I do believe Hayden wants to go for a full attack season next year. Perhaps a deal where Neuville, Paddon and Mikkelsen are main drivers, but if Paddon (and/or Mikkelsen) underperform Sordo is ready to step in.

If Mikkelsen go away from Citroën their driver lineup will be interesting again. Ogier, Meeke and Breen? 

So Hayden isn't going to race in Spain. I feel sorry for him because I think he's a very good driver who has had a lot of bad luck this season, but at the same time it's better for him to skip Rally RACC Catalunya which is on tarmac, where he isn't strong atm, rather than Wales or Australia

Interesting. So maybe Hyundais driver lineup for 2018 isn't yet set in stone. Paddon and Sordo may have contracts, but I guess Hyundai would be willing to pay a fourth driver in order to win the championship - in 2018 of course, they are too far behind to catch M-Sport this year.

Could it be that Sordo and Paddon are sharing the seat next year? 
Ford
Evans, Sunninen and Camille/Mads
Hyundai
Neuville,Mikkelsen and Sordo/Paddon
Citroen
Ogier, Meek, Breen
Toyota
Latvala, Tänak, Lappi

I don't know why Hyundai rats Sordo over Paddon. Other than tarmac, Paddon is much faster nowadays, although Paddon has had a poor year which I hope he can turn around next year 

He isn't bad and he's been quite consistent but I'd still take Hayden over him anyday. As I said the decision makes sense because rally spain is on tarmac

Hayden has pretty much written off 2018 and Spain is Sordos home rally... so if Sordo takes a back seat for the next season (which he might actually do of free will, it's unlikely that he'll ever be a champion after so long), I'd guess he will have all the remaining rallies for 2017 while Paddon recharges for 2018.

If Hyundai go with Neuville/Mikkelsen/Paddon next year (and Paddon manages to come back strong) they'll have a real strong lineup for both driver and manufacturers title.

Makes sense Paddon sitting out Spain TBH. Hopefully he'll arrange to compete in a tarmac rally somewhere around the world to keep developing.

I hope Paddon recovers from this season. It has been a nightmare and being dropped just adds to it all. He even crashed out here in NZ in rally Coromandel which really should have been an easy win for him.

He'll be back for Australia at the very least. I expect they will be using Dani this round for the tarmac and Paddon for the following two gravel rallies even though their manufacturers title is basically done for.

What will be really interesting is how they approach next season. Will they use Dani for tarmac rallies where is is superior and use Paddon on gravel? It's not a move I want to see but you could see how the bosses would justify it with their focus on the manufacturers title.

Paddon seems to be disappointed by him losing his seat for spain, so guess it's not quite to his liking. 

And looking at this:
https://www.autosport.com/wrc/news/131660/mikkelsen-switches-from-citroen-to-hyundai
It seems to be expected that Paddon and Sordo splits the third car for 2018. Kind of sad that Paddon didn't get his attempt at a title run for the 2018 season. I don't think he could actually make it, but it would've been fun to see him make a real attempt.

If they're going to have 4 drivers they need 4 cars. They could switch dani and Hayden between the fourth and third cars when needed e.g. Tarmac events

I hope Paddon recovers from this season. It has been a nightmare and being dropped just adds to it all. He even crashed out here in NZ in rally Coromandel which really should have been an easy win for him.

You have to say he's had an absurd amount of bad luck, mostly due to the fact that the Hyundai i20 Coupé doesn't seem as strong and resistant to impacts as its title contender Ford Fiesta. Then he also lost a lot of confidence because of this and let's not forget that in Montecarlo he had an accident in which a spectator was killed and even though it wasnt Hayden's fault that certainly didn't help