WRC 2019 Thread

Yeah his bad luck has been epic. I think the spectator death in Monte shook him up far more than he let on, he really didn't seem to be himself after that. Coupled with him not coming to terms with the center diff (seemed better later on after adjustments) and all the bad luck and mechanical issues it just doesn't work for an emotional driver like him.
We've seen his speed a lot of times this season, especially after he got the settings adopted more to his style of driving, and I really would like to see what he can do if he gets a decent start of the 2018 season.

Also an unscheduled co driver change. He's been with John since he first started. I don't see how replacing him with someone who has barely driven the car will help, despite how good Andreas is. I just really hope that Paddon gets a proper chance next year, he's got the talent to be challenging for titles, whereas unfortunately Dani doesn't any more

And Hyundai considering 4 cars:
http://www.wrc.com/en/wrc/news/september-2017/hyundai-four/page/4840--12-12-.html

Dytut said:
http://www.wrc.com/en/wrc/news/september-2017/hyundai-four/page/4840--12-12-.html
So all 3 current drivers under contract until the end of 2018 and Mikkelsen as 4th is a budget question, interesting!

Etirion said:
Dytut said:
So all 3 current drivers under contract until the end of 2018 and Mikkelsen as 4th is a budget question, interesting!
I suspect Mikkelsens role for 2018 largely depends on how these three rallies turn out. If he shows good pace Hyundai would make a biiiiig mistake not using him as the second driver for 2018. 

I wonder if Ogier will switch manufacturer each year so he can try to beat Juha Kankkunens record with 4 championships with four different manufacturers ;-) 

Dytut said:
I wonder if Ogier will switch manufacturer each year so he can try to beat Juha Kankkunens record with 4 championships with four different manufacturers ;-) 
with THREE diferent manufactures.

Or you mean Ogier? Difficult to think a fourth manufacturer after Citröen. I don't know if Citröen it's a smart move for Ogier.

I was a it muddy there. Meant that Ogier would need 4 different to beat Kankkunen :-)

If he wins this year he has two, a win at Citroën and he'd have 3. If he gets that I bet he would try for a win in a Toyota or Hyundai just to get the record.

Dytut said:
Yeah his bad luck has been epic. I think the spectator death in Monte shook him up far more than he let on, he really didn't seem to be himself after that. Coupled with him not coming to terms with the center diff (seemed better later on after adjustments) and all the bad luck and mechanical issues it just doesn't work for an emotional driver like him.
We've seen his speed a lot of times this season, especially after he got the settings adopted more to his style of driving, and I really would like to see what he can do if he gets a decent start of the 2018 season.
Its sad that there are idiot spectators that don't respect the limits. If he was were he was supposed to be he would still be alive. No disrespect to that person but I feel bad for Paddon because of that guys stupidity.

So it seems that hyundai want to run 4 cars now. That would be interesting. Also heard somewhere there are rumours of the manufactures title going to a 4 car format which seems mad, aren't msport somewhat struggling (financially) with 3?
Also I wonder if they are taking such a hard look at the engineers as they are their drivers. Seems their suspension isn't up to the task this season. Just look at how easily Neuvilles wheel tried to depart the car in germany

Also does Ogier care about records like the different manufacturers? Doesn't seem like something he would be concerned with. I'm guessing he will stay with msport so long as he believes they can keep developing the car as he has help professionalise the rally crew and starting over with a new team/car is a hurdle

Who knows how much Monte incident shook Paddon for the rest of the season. I mean, the spectator was in so wrong and stupid place, that with all my condolences to his family, it was still mostly 'natural selection'. I can't see how anyone could blame Hayden. Mikkelsen had even worse fatal accident at the beginning of his career, but he recovered. Never the less, Paddon's luck has been misarbel this year, but with the mistakse he made and with no progression on tarmac, If Paddon would drive in M-Sport he would be in WRC2 in 2018 season for sure. 
1. Monte - unfortunate accident on SS1 and retired from rally.
2. Swede - power steering failure, had some great stage times before that (once 2nd fastest, and  couple of top4 times), finished 7th +5:31.2 off the lead
3. Mexico - mechanical issues on the first day, then small mistake with puncture on second day and technical issues again on the last day (one 3rd fastest time from SS), finished 5th +3:32.9 off the lead.
4. Tour de Corse - still strugeling on tarmac, finished 6th +2:16.3 off the lead.
5. Argentina - roll on the first long stage SS2 and damaged his car. After mid day service he had joint best time with Evans and won one another. on 2nd day he just drive trough, but took two 3rd times from stages. 3rd day again technical issues, overall 6th +7:42.7 off the lead.
6. Portugal - 1st day great pace, but el. issues with the car, 2nd day decent pace, but power steering failure, 3rd day great drive, with one small spun. Tactical retirement from the event, he was around ~30th place with loss around +40min to the lead.
7. Italy - had brilliant start and led the rally, then retired on ss13 thanks to stupid mistake. 3rd day started off good, but had another accident on power stage and retired the rally. 
8. Poland - Slow and steady on the first day, better on the 2nd and 3rd day, slowly crawled to 2nd place, best rally for him so far. 2nd place +1:23.9 off the lead.
9. Finland - Started off with great pace, but broke suspension twice in two days and had accident on the last stage and retired from the event.
10. Germany - Another tarmac event and another struggle from Paddon, two punctures, but had some 2nd best times from stages, finished as best the Hyundai driver on 8th place  
+4:32.4 off the lead.

edit: https://twitter.com/HartusvuoriWRC/status/905455360831565824

MW has a meeting with Ford later this month, so everyone who says, Ford Will give no money to M-SPORT can shut up and wait, that is why Ogier is waiting until Rally Spain to decide, because of this meeting, If Ford backs M-Sport he stays 100% sure, if Ford doesnt, he may stay because going to Citroen after this year with such a bad car, that has make people believe Kris Meeke is a dumb ass that loves crashing, he crash because he wants to do what it is impossible, Battle for the win, the same happened to Tanak in the past when the old Fiesta was a garbage, he crashed a lot.
So, it depends on how is the offer that Citroen gives to Ogier, I think that Ogier and Wilson are acting a bit to put pressure in Ford, Ogier is too confortable in M-Sport and Red Bull paid the development of the car this year, so why would he go to another team? Money.
Also, Wilson is super happy with all the other drivers he have and is super confident they can do an awesome job, so putting all the money to contract Ogier wouldnt be neccesary if Tanak keeps this rythm, Evans is going as well as Ott but the DMacks doesnt show that, and Suninen is the next star of WRC, also he has Camilli, Loubet, Greensmith, Solans, Rovampera and many more

As much as I like Kris, some of those incidents were his own fault. Even if the car is a piece of shit, you just back off a bit and don't push it to the point where it's dangerous. He'd have finished more rallies and would have picked up some points.

M-sport could really do with some help next year, especially if Ogier leaves. They are basically just surviving off their R5 production and car prep (which I recently learned is a f**k tonne of money). Hopefully he stays and they keep the redbull money, but I don't think Ford will get involved again

The problem is that Citroen wants to win now and they make Meeke throttle out the limits of the car, yes, he could have go a little bit slower and finish the rallys, buut he can't Battle for the win, drivers make a difference but at the end it is all about the car

Remember who mentored Meeke, backing off, even when the car will bite you, will not happen.
Pretty much, he's to much like Colin for better or worse.

I'm planning my week for rally gb, I really can't wait! Thinking of maybe doing everything from shakedown on Thursday to Sunday stages. Not quite sure yet, but I'll definitely be doing Friday Saturday and Sunday stages

Citroen desperately trying to get Ogier, Meeke confirmed for full season next year at Citroen and Loeb maybe returning for a limited number of rallies.

https://www.motorsport-news.co.uk/news/rallying-news/wrc/citroen-wants-ogier-to-lead-wrc-super-team/

I'm wondering how they are going to afford Ogier considering it seems like their funding has really dropped off in the last few seasons.

I think it's pretty incredible how the situation has reversed itself in WRC. Just a few years ago and the choice to move to Citroen would seem to be an obvious one.

Given the performance of the C3 WRC - and some of the decisions made by the Citroen management in 2017 - it would be the last team I'd be looking at right now! 

Imagine if Citroen got Ogier and Loeb came back for a number of rallies and, if you can stretch your imagination this far, they sorted out their car. They could be a dream team. A straight fight between the sebastians in identical machinery could be epic, although I'm not convinced it's really going to happen

As for budget, I suspect it increased with the PSA collecting all racing under one banner. I'd even wager that they'll put extra money into WRC for 2018 just to mend the reputation for building a shitty car like the C3.

Ott Tänak had an AMA session in local media on Tuesday. Some interesting parts from it:

* He studied his mentor Markko Märtin note writing for world series (Ott notes are partly in Estonian and partly in English as it gives more flow.
* He had nice words for Meek - great driver with lots of bad luck in this year.
* Comments about  WRX - he has tested Focus WRX, impressive and quick car, but he doesn't like the battles in rallycross and prefers rally driving. He also mentioned that this years Solbergs VW is almost identical to the VW Polo WRC 2016, with more power.
*  M-Sport has been pushing a lot more this year - even thou previous years they have been trying to use parts what they got, this season Ogiers car has been priority and Tänaks car has usually old parts.
* New R5 cars has nearly as much torque  as the last seasons WRC cars.
* Issue when the back aero broke off the car was fixed after Mads incident in Sweden, but some how his car didn't had that upgrade in Poland.
* He has tested different WRC cars previous years, but he didn't mentioned which ones. 
* He's thankful that Ogier has been his teammate for this year.
There were questions about the next seasons and lineups, but he gave no real answers. BUT every time he spoke about Sebastian or M-Sport, it wasn't 'us the M-Sport' but more like 'them as M-Sport' or in past sentence. Same goes for comment about Ogier - he like's that Ogier WAS his teammate. 

I have already said it in the thread, but Tanak has been the driver of 2017 for me. I really hope he is rewarded with a decent drive for 2018: would be brilliant to see him in the Fiesta again. 

That's an interesting note on the Fiesta R5. Car development moves so quickly that it only seems to take a few years before the "support" classes have the same capabilities as the premier class cars.