WRC 2019 Thread

In which motorsports is Ford competing officially? Only one I remember is World Endurance Championship and LeMans 24h with the GT, and then I think they produce a Stock Car for NASCAR. The WEC isn't that followed, well apart from LeMans, and they aren't even competing for the overall win because the Ford GT is a GTE car. At the very least they have some big opponents to race with though (Ferrari, Porsche, Aston Martin, BMW next year) unlike LMP1.
NASCAR isn't that much followed either out of the US, and there isn't an official Ford team because they're raced by privateers.
WRC is a global championship with a lot of history and Ford has always been involved in it so I hope they decide to come back officially

tbtstt said:
tbtstt said:
Scyy said:
They should do a second snow rally in Canada or northern usa. Do it after Sweden and go to Mexico after.
It is the same, the Cars go back to HQ after a Rally, so if Rally México follows or not a Northern American Rally is the same ;) .
I think Rally México could be replaced with a Rally in USA or Canada, and it also could attract Ford to finally back M-Sport
Why don't Ford back M-Sport already? Seems like the thing to do I mean M-Sport is leading the championship by a good margin.
There is official Ford backing for M-Sport for the R2, R5 and rallycross cars, just not for the WRC programme. It's a hell of an investment and, with the decline in interest a few years ago, I can see why Ford tightened the purse strings...

...the Championship is getting so much attention this year though, it would see a good time for them to start supporting the upper tier of rallying again!
R2 and R5? I didnt see any factory R2 or R5, R5 "Factory" Fiesta's are M-Sport, like Tanak's car. And R2 are backed by drivers.

Individual entries aren't backed, but the development of the R2 and R5 Fiesta is financially supported by Ford. The Focus RS RX developed for Hoonigan Racing is an officially back Ford effort.
The RX yes, but the R5 and R2 it is all M-Sport job, Ford can help like in the WRC car, like a techincal partner, using their engine dynos and Chambers for testing, but the cars are built and developed by M-Sport
Let's say it plain and simple, who is putting the money in? In WRX I think it's Ford Performance, but with M-Sport I'm not that sure

Mikkelsen joins Hyundai for 2018 and 2019 https://motorsport.hyundai.com/two-year-deal-andreas/
All other drivers will remain under contract for 2018

Etirion said:
Mikkelsen joins Hyundai for 2018 and 2019 https://motorsport.hyundai.com/two-year-deal-andreas/
As expected then. Feel kind of bad for Paddon since he was hoping for a big push in 2018, but with the season he's had it was expected. Great for Hyundai, will be hard to beat them for the manufacturers title next year with that lineup. And both Thierry and Andreas can challenge for the drivers title.

Dytut said:
Etirion said:
As expected then. Feel kind of bad for Paddon since he was hoping for a big push in 2018, but with the season he's had it was expected. Great for Hyundai, will be hard to beat them for the manufacturers title next year with that lineup. And both Thierry and Andreas can challenge for the drivers title.
Paddon remains in the team, he can still push into 2018, but it will be a bit harder with 2 top drivers in the team I guess.

Etirion said:
Hyundai line-up looks very strong for next year. But how are they going to handle four crews? Are they allowed to bring four cars or will Sordo and Paddon have to split the third one?

As I understand it Paddon and Sordo will share a car. I personally hope Hyundai will field 4 cars for the first 3 rounds, and let the strongest of Paddon and Sordo keep the car for the rest of the year after that if one of them performs well enough to merit it. That way there would be the potential for a Paddon push if the season starts well.

Couldn't they just let both drivers run but selectively let them score points for the team with the other in a B team? That way both can just fight for their own drivers championship. 

Yeah they can and they have discussed running four cars. But I also seem to recall there not really being a budget for four cars. But four cars on select rallies would be an option, and hopefully that would allow for Paddon to make a real push and if he's up in the top echelon he might get a shot at a full season. Or Sordo for that matter, but I don't think he's got the speed in him to really challenge for a full year. He's a good points driver.

Dytut said:
Yeah they can and they have discussed running four cars. But I also seem to recall there not really being a budget for four cars. But four cars on select rallies would be an option, and hopefully that would allow for Paddon to make a real push and if he's up in the top echelon he might get a shot at a full season. Or Sordo for that matter, but I don't think he's got the speed in him to really challenge for a full year. He's a good points driver.
Yeah, I feel that if Paddon picks up more confidence with the car, improves a bit on asphalt and finally gets some good luck he could do very well in 2018. He's a very good driver in my opinion. Sordo is good mainly because he's consistent but he doesn't have the raw speed of Hayden.
Mikkelsen and Neuville are undoubtedly good so Hyundai has an awesome lineup for next year

Agreed I feel bad for Paddon, whose chance for a push is probably delayed for another season. But on the other hand, it's criminal that a driver like Mikkelsen had no chance at all in 2017. And Neuville/Mikkelsen is the line-up I can get most excited about. No matter where Ogier goes, I'm already looking forward to 2018.

Hyundai going to run 4 cars in wales https://motorsport.hyundai.com/crews-confirmed-wales/

Etirion said:
Hyundai going to run 4 cars in wales https://motorsport.hyundai.com/crews-confirmed-wales/
Good to hear. I hope they'll keep four cars also for next season, at least in most of the rallies

No more WRX for Ford Performance, andddd partly confirmed Ford Factory WRC Team!!!!!!!!!
wooot?! sources!!!

edit: on the "partly confirmed factory wrc team", that is.

I can see the logic of killing the wrx team for the wrc team, let's hope that's what will happen. But if that happens... poor Citroën won't get Ogier.

Here is the WRX part from Ken Block: 

https://twitter.com/kblock43/status/915595811735658496

So he will be returning to some stage rally?  Hope in the USA, he draws quite a crowd, which is good for the American rally scene.  

WRC/Ford/MSport what will this bring to the table if Ford backs an already Ford team, sure money, but will it change anything in 2018?  

They'll have more testing budget for starters, and might get joker parts done faster/better during the year.

That would be so sick if they got Block at M-Sport! Block, Tanak, and Ogier/Suninen would be so awesome!

If block goes to WRC he Will do some rallys not all the championship, Ogier, Tanak and Suninen or Evans will be in the team, maybe Evans Dmack car Will not take part from the Factory team and Suninen will be in the third car

Awesome news. Hoping Ogier stays with msport now. Should be some intense fighting between the teams next year.

That would be so sick if they got Block at M-Sport! Block, Tanak, and Ogier/Suninen would be so awesome!

If block goes to WRC he Will do some rallys not all the championship, Ogier, Tanak and Suninen or Evans will be in the team, maybe Evans Dmack car Will not take part from the Factory team and Suninen will be in the third car
Block is a great competitor here in the US, but doesn't stand a chance seriously competing in WRC.  

gfRally said:

Block is a great competitor here in the US, but doesn't stand a chance seriously competing in WRC.  
I know but he can do what he wants, and I didnt said he was competitive

Scyy said:
Awesome news. Hoping Ogier stays with msport now. Should be some intense fighting between the teams next year.
Agreed. Unless there are major changes to come at Citroen I think Ogier would be mad to change teams now: let's hope M-Sport is where the Ford money is going!
gfRally said:

I know but he can do what he wants, and I didnt said he was competitive
I don't think anyone on the forum is under the illusion that Block will be challenging for any WRC wins. I have said it before, but the PR behind Block is his best friend and worst enemy: it's what pays for his drives, but it often results in alienating the established rally fans.
gfRally said:
Here is the WRX part from Ken Block: 

https://twitter.com/kblock43/status/915595811735658496

So he will be returning to some stage rally?  Hope in the USA, he draws quite a crowd, which is good for the American rally scene.  

WRC/Ford/MSport what will this bring to the table if Ford backs an already Ford team, sure money, but will it change anything in 2018?  
Agreed. Block could, with the right equipment, be a serious challenger for the Rally America title and give the SRT USA guys some decent competition: that's what I'd like to see him do.
Well, he already has won WRC stages before.
Oh really? I didn't know Block had taken any stage wins in the WRC (not when he was in a WRCar anyway).