WRC 2019 Thread

Jepsertti said:
Well, he already has won WRC stages before.
*ahem*

My bad. I don't know why so many people have a problem with Block. He's a nice guy and a really good a driver. I like him because he just doesn't care what other people think. Its cool that he can participate in almost any motorsport he wants to and, the most important thing, having fun while doing what he likes. Its been fun watching him in Rally and Rallycross.
I certainly don't have any problem with Block. The guy is clearly passionate about rally and, if I had his resources and sponsors, I'd be doing exactly the same as him!

As I said a few posts earlier, the PR behind Block has portrayed him as a "driving god" and, in the eyes of the uninformed masses, they see him as one of the greats. Those who know a bit more about motorsport, specifically rally, know that, although Block certainly isn't talentless, he isn't the best in the World.

Funny thing is, when interviewed, Block comes across as pretty humble: all the flashy PR is paying for him to participate in the best rally and rallycross Championships alongside the greatest drivers in the World: few get a chance to do that and, if any genuine motorsport fan had the same opportunity, I'm sure they would take it! 

Anyway, getting back on topic, that was a much needed result for Meeke and Citroen. Another very solid performance from Tanak as well. Would like to see Ogier take another win this year to really "deserve" the title, but I guess he will be playing it safe in order to rack up the points.

Colin Clark reckons that Tanak is confirmed for Toyota. Just waiting on an official announcement. I'm quite surprised considering how long he's been in a Ford and how much it seems to suit him. But apparently they offered him big money, so maybe that influenced him?

Colin Clark reckons that Tanak is confirmed for Toyota. Just waiting on an official announcement. I'm quite surprised considering how long he's been in a Ford and how much it seems to suit him. But apparently they offered him big money, so maybe that influenced him?
That's a real shame if it's true: I was hoping to see Tanak flying again in the Fiesta next year. 

tbtstt said:
That's a real shame if it's true: I was hoping to see Tanak flying again in the Fiesta next year. 
Also a rumour with Paddon and m sport, but I'd can't see that personally, Paddon is sponsored and backed by Hyundai New Zealand 

Estonian media had their own kitchen talk over the lineups and there was this theory. Citroen's main sponsor Abu Dhabi wouldn't allow Red Bull commercials on the same car (because of some old beef), that means Ogier is basically blocked by his personal sponsor. That leads us to Hyundai- this years lineup hasn't performed good enough and is pursuing Ogier too. Knowing that Seb can't go Citroen, Hyundai cut's the offer down for couple of millions. Mr. Wilson hears this and asks Ogier to wait a bit more, because Ford is definitely increasing the support, it's just not certain how much. Some of money from WRX program will go to M-Sport WRC division for sure. I'm quite sure Tänak wouldn't like another year in the team, where only first driver will have all the new parts on the car, so he'll sign for Toyota for safe bet. 

I'd be very surprised if Ogier signs for Hyundai. They would need a huge budget, even bigger than they already do. (4 drivers currently signed running four cars for the next event). I think they will be happy with Neuville and Mikkelsen, and hopefully they will keep Paddon and maybe Sordo. To be fair he he is the only driver this year to score points in every round this year.

https://www.autosport.com/wrc/news/132060/tanak-set-to-reject-toyota-and-stay-at-msport
Colin Clark bases on what he thinks, and what he would like, tanak said he prefer MSport

http://www.wrc.com/en/wrc/news/october-2017/nandan-fragile/page/4930--12-12-.html

Come to think of it, the i20 has had a lot of broken suspension this year. Neuvilles hits in both monte and sweden might've been surviveable in another car for example. The rear wheel going off in germany is another example. So they might need to keep that in mind for the pace notes next year, avoid big things.

Sweden was his own fault, but Monte Germany and Spain all looked like either very unfortunate events or signs Hyundai need to beef up their suspension

Agree with @RallyDriven , they need to get the suspension mounts more reliable, drivers needs to cut with confidence that they Will not rip off the wheel.
BTW the problem is only with tarmac suspension, so it isnt a big problem they just need to waste some tokens if they have any left.

Yeah the tarmac suspensions of the i20 are too fragile compared to the Fiesta which seems to be very sturdy (apart from the old rear wing) and this is what ultimately has made the difference. I think they'll change the design a bit

BTW the problem is only with tarmac suspension, so it isnt a big problem they just need to waste some tokens if they have any left.

Does the WRC Plus development process work with tokens? I didn't know that, is there any article about how it works?

From memory paddon has also broken his suspension a few times this year, it's something I've been saying they need to work on even before all three cars broke theirs in spain.

The stage wins numbers on the previous page are very interesting, seems everyone else needs to push themselves further in order to keep up with Ogier and they end up making more mistakes as a result

From memory paddon has also broken his suspension a few times this year, it's something I've been saying they need to work on even before all three cars broke theirs in spain.

The stage wins numbers on the previous page are very interesting, seems everyone else needs to push themselves further in order to keep up with Ogier and they end up making more mistakes as a result
Paddon broke suspension twice in Finland, but both were result of an accidents, no one could survive thous hits. Hyundai had power steering issues in the first half of season with every car, but it's fixed now. I guess they have issues only with tarmac suspension, can't remember that they had similar troubles on gravel events. 

Best way to describe Ogier in this year - To finish first, you have to finish first. I'm quite sure we'll see new champion in next year.

juu1ius said: 

Best way to describe Ogier in this year - To finish first, you have to finish first. I'm quite sure we'll see new champion in next year.
That's for sure mate  ;)

Ogier has been for sure the most consistent of all the drivers this year and this is what will actually make a difference in the end

I think when Ott was Flat out for win it or bin it in Poland, if he would have finished second he could have a lot more chances to be the champ :(

I think when Ott was Flat out for win it or bin it in Poland, if he would have finished second he could have a lot more chances to be the champ :(
If we're gonna start with 'what if' then Neuville would have been champion this year IF he would have finished MC & Sweden when he was leading both rallies. He lost a lot more than Tanak has this season.

sqdstr said:
If we're gonna start with 'what if' then Neuville would have been champion this year IF he would have finished MC & Sweden when he was leading both rallies. He lost a lot more than Tanak has this season.
Mhuhahahahaha. But now will never know... for this year anyway. ;) I'm just glad a Ford car is at the top.

sqdstr said:
Mhuhahahahaha. But now will never know... for this year anyway. ;) I'm just glad a Ford car is at the top.
I can't say i'm a veteran WRC follower, only started back in 2014 when Thierry took his first win for Hyundai, but those DNF's in the first two rounds were heartbreaking. I'd be happy for Ford and Ogier though, he's fully deserved it this year more than any. 

Sordo not going to drive in Australia http://www.wrc.com/en/wrc/news/october-2017/hyundai-australia/page/4935--12-12-.html