WRC 2019 Thread

KevM said:
Ott will certainly be in the mix too!  If Mikkelson stays Hyundai, things will be interesting.  I just wish Citroen would come to the party
Dump Citroen, bring back VW.  Love to see Meeks (if there is a 2018 season for him) in a VW.  But chances of this happening .. ever

Citroen car Will be competitive next year, next year Will be really balanced like this year between the manufacturers, in 2019 they have more jokers to develop the Cars.

once the Yaris' problems get ironed out,Toyota will be very competitive .I just hope they stay in it and im hoping for Subarus return eventually 

once the Yaris' problems get ironed out,Toyota will be very competitive .I just hope they stay in it and im hoping for Subarus return eventually 
I don't think we have to worry about Toyota staying the course, I read somewhere that they're looking to make a homologation special Yaris just to make the car more competitive.

Really late post but I'm glad that M-Sport could take both championships. It's awesome they use the Ford cars and I hope they get manufacture support.

He had 3 wheels to finish the loop, Huttunen did it with the R2, you lose the race but you keep fighting, not the right choice for Mikkelsen in my opinion

Up until you have a drive wheel still attached to the car you can drive! DiRT Rally teached me this... the harsh way.

Well you can drive with a punctured tyre but it's very hard, almost pointless and extremely dangerous. Then again I love Gilles Villeneuve because he tried

Mikkelsen didn’t need to though. He’s not fighting for anything, he’s already got a contract for next year and now he’s proved that he can be quick in the car too. There was no need for him to struggle on and damage the car even more!

Shame to see Latvala, Breen and Lefeberverbr all go out on the last day, Craig’s was a nasty crash too, glad they were ok. Luckily Citroen have a team of people that are very good at fixing roll damaged C3’s!

Glad to see Paddon get a podium after a difficult year. I can’t believe that he’s not got a full time drive for next year! Especially when people like (no offence to the man) lefebreverebe do who are no where near as fast! Paddon is easily capable of winning rallies for Hyundai, whereas I just don’t see Sordo leading or winning an event. 

Also a good win for Thierry. I predict he will be world champ next year! Even if Ogier stays at M-Sport (ford?). Think Mikkelsen could be a good contender for the title too.

I don't know the laws in Australia but here in Europe I am sure you can't drive road sections on a flat tyre. He had only 1 replacement so he was automatically out.

Yeah I think the WRC cars are required to have 4 wheels on the road sections. 

So the plot thickens. Citroën publicly says talks with Ogier stopped in november from being outbid. And Ogier has looked very calm but a bit sneaky about the whole ordeal lately, and Malcolm has also looked quite relaxed. Are they waiting for the dust to settle after the season and getting ready for revealing they're becoming Ford again?

Dytut said:
Yeah I think the WRC cars are required to have 4 wheels on the road sections. 
I think that's a fairly common requirement for road cars, unless you're driving a Reliant Robin of course

Dytut said:
So the plot thickens. Citroën publicly says talks with Ogier stopped in november from being outbid. And Ogier has looked very calm but a bit sneaky about the whole ordeal lately, and Malcolm has also looked quite relaxed. Are they waiting for the dust to settle after the season and getting ready for revealing they're becoming Ford again?
I really hope so. I'm quite sure Ogier is going to stay with M-Sport and I think Ford would be missing a huge opportunity if they don't support them now

Oh? I thought the thread was kind of messy so figured a new one was due. Wanted to read our predictions before 2017 and it took ages to find since it was buried somewhere in the thread. 

But if we want to stick with this thread it's fine by me, admins can merge them while the new one is short.

I believe Ogier will stay at M-Sport, and I'm 50/50 if it's going to be full Ford or M-Sport but with a lot more Ford backing.

As for the title, I do think it'll be Neuville next year since he's had the speed but lacked somewhat in consistency this year and I think he's learned his lesson. 
But there are quite a few contenders now.
Ogier, of course. He's the man to beat, and he's smart about his driving.
Mikkelsen will probably suffer a bit due to not having been in the car enough and do some overdriving, so don't think he'll be in it for the full season. But if he finds a good feeling in the car, he might be a challenger.
Meeke might be up there, but even if the Citroën gets better next year I still doubt he has the consistency to do it.
Both Latvala and Tänak could do it, but the Yaris needs a bit of a boost in reliability and some extra speed on their slow rallies for it to happen.

So Neuville and Ogier as the heavy hitters slugging it out for the whole season, but Mikkelsen, Latvala and Tänak right on their heels for any mistake.

Wonder what'll happen to the WRC2 guys just waiting behind the curtain next year aswell. 

Hyundai already has 4 drivers so they won't have room for testing new drivers. 
M-Sport usually run an extra car here and there if they get some sponsors in, so they'll probably let Suninen have a few rounds.
Citroën might have room for a new driver on a round here and there, either letting Lefebvre sitting out a few rounds if he underperforms or using a 4th car.
Toyota seems to like younger drivers, but I doubt they'll let anyone sit out a round. Might be that they've got the budget to run a 4th car on a few rounds, so let's hope for that.

Both Citroën and Hyundai have their new R5s, so they might try to lure a prospective future WRC driver into their WRC2 team for next year.

Tidemand is good, but he is in WRC2 since 2013 if I am correct, I have to check it, while Suninen in 2013 was in karting, Suninen has much more potential, and his adaptability to the WRC17 was awesome, also in 2016 Suninen vs Tidemand in Skoda R5, Suninen kicked his ass

Dytut said:
Wonder what'll happen to the WRC2 guys just waiting behind the curtain next year aswell. 

Hyundai already has 4 drivers so they won't have room for testing new drivers. 
M-Sport usually run an extra car here and there if they get some sponsors in, so they'll probably let Suninen have a few rounds.
Citroën might have room for a new driver on a round here and there, either letting Lefebvre sitting out a few rounds if he underperforms or using a 4th car.
Toyota seems to like younger drivers, but I doubt they'll let anyone sit out a round. Might be that they've got the budget to run a 4th car on a few rounds, so let's hope for that.

Both Citroën and Hyundai have their new R5s, so they might try to lure a prospective future WRC driver into their WRC2 team for next year.
Huttunen (confirmed) and Bonato I think Will be Hyundai and Citroen WRC2 drivers

Tidemand is good, but he is in WRC2 since 2013 if I am correct, I have to check it, while Suninen in 2013 was in karting, Suninen has much more potential, and his adaptability to the WRC17 was awesome, also in 2016 Suninen vs Tidemand in Skoda R5, Suninen kicked his ass
Yeah Suninen has been a notch over Tidemand in WRC2, but this season Tidemand has beaten Suninen when both have been in WRC2 in the same rally. So I really hope he gets the chance to at least get one or two rallies in a WRC to test the waters at least.

Has anyone heard any rumours as to how the M-Sport team will look next year at all? We know Evans will be there, but that's it. We also know that DMACK won't run a team next year.
So if Ogier stays and they're strapped on cash I'd reckon the team will be:
Ogier
Evans
Østberg - in his "own" car with more backing from M-Sport unless Ford comes in full time.
(4th car run as a loaner/hire/ with Suninen as often as possible)

If Ogier retires:
Evans
Østberg
Suninen