Jump to content

WRC 2019 Thread

Recommended Posts

Nothing confirmed afaik. If he has a chance to win the title in WRC2, they will surely go for it. He doesn't need to compete in all rallies though, as only a maximum of 7 count towards the championship.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
PaloSamo said:
Elfyn Evans, partnered by a new co-driver Craig Perry, will compete in a full British Rally Championship campaign in a Ford Fiesta R5 backed by DMACK.
I'm still mad at Malcom Wilson for replacing him with Eric Camilli.

Its all about money,.... but i prefere to see Ostberg and Camilli and M-Sport doing a full WRC program, then Evans and Tanak do a half WRC program, really crossing my fingers that M-Sport will do a good job this WRC year! its important to have many manufacturers in the WRC!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
austinb said:
Is he doing a full wrc2 championship and the BRC then? or only selected wrc2 rallies?
He will do at least 7 WRC2 and Full BRC with dmack and some WRC events i expect

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ford needs to get off their NASCAR loving asses and get back to WRC so Wilson has some proper backing. Drag racing I can at least understand the attraction of. But for the life of me, I just cannot fathom how NASCAR is as big as it is. NASCAR and Donald Trump, just 2 shining examples of what is very wrong with America.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
function9 said:
Ford needs to get off their NASCAR loving asses and get back to WRC so Wilson has some proper backing. Drag racing I can at least understand the attraction of. But for the life of me, I just cannot fathom how NASCAR is as big as it is. NASCAR and Donald Trump, just 2 shining examples of what is very wrong with America.
NASCAR is really really important in America and Ford is from the US, they cant get their ass off there, but they can also put a bunch of money in Malcolm but they arent interested and i dont know why

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
PaloSamo said:
Is there any WRC rally in US? I don't think so...

Ford dont just sell cars in the US though do they? Ford are a household name in rally throughout the years and its strange that they no longer care, especially when they are doing all sorts of motorsport to promote their new small ecoboost engines, which would suit the current and next wrc regs well.
They also have a long running tendancy to produce hot hatches, and again what better sport to promote a hot hatch than by running one in competition on the world stage.... stages.
This is why its weird that they a currently so disinterested.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
If I recall correctly Ford are providing support to M-Sport, just not with their WRC program. I'm sure the R2 Fiesta is manufacturer back and I understand Ford Motorsport have switched support for a rallycross program from OMSE to M-Sport for 2016.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ford is trying to sell cars worldwide, so I think they way they put their effort into contingency programs of the Fiesta R2 worldwide is really smart. Same with Subaru, they haven't been in the WRC for years, but they have an awesome contingency program and they dominate the national scenes, so they are still synonymous rally performance.

Since the WRC is now basically another European championship with a couple rounds overseas, it has lost a lot of relevance for manufacturers that want to target markets outside the EU.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
griev0r said:
PaloSamo said:
YoMrWhite said:
PaloSamo said:
I wouldn't rule out Toyota for 2017. Look what VW did in their debut 2013 season. 


VW had Ogier and Mikkelsen as test drivers for the whole year 2012. After fighting for the title with Citroen, Ogier basically took a year off, competing only in a few events in WRC2 for Skoda.

Ogier was engaged in a full wrc2 campaign missing only New Zealand ;) 
Yes but they tested in EVERY RALLY after the WRC events with the polo, and there were extensive test weeks
I remember watching the WRC reviews the year he was driving for Skoda, and he was pushing into WRC times in a S2000 car constantly.  Def not my favorite driver, but can't deny his talent.  He had an insane high speed crash in the Skoda if I'm not mistaken that year also, can't find the video.

Kris Meeke is my boi, but he isn't doing a full season as far as I know which sucks.  So this year, I'd love to see Latvalla do better.  Love that guy but he seems to have the worst luck.
It was far from an S2000 car though. I'm pretty sure you see that he never scored any points outside the totals. They decided to not enter any of the Skodas in the SWRC category, as they would've been restricted. The Skoda was also a testcar together with the Polo they tested.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
austinb said:
Anyone else, feel like the championship will loose something when Kubica leaves it after Monaco? Yes he's not been successful, but he's only been rallying 5 years or so... and is certainly right up there for pace when hes not in a ditch. (and arguably the quickest on tarmac)
He is certainly one of the most exciting drivers to watch.
Not Really. It will loose around the same as when Raikkonen left. A fanatical following, but not much else.
He is not able to be fast and on the road. He have crashed 26 times in 27 events with a WRC-car. He have retired in 33% of all the rallies he have started - That is including the Rally-2 system. If it had been like pre-2005, his two seasons would've been like McRae in 99, without the victories and top 5's.
I also do not agree that he is the quickest on tarmac. He was quick on some stages in Spain, he tends to have 2-3 stages each rally where it works out. But he is far from the fastest on tarmac.
Also, as many Kubica-fans often point out, that he is like McRae. The difference for me, is that McRae was awesome to watch, he was on the limit, but you got a feeling of "Wow! How does he do that?" For me, watching Kubica it's more "Wow! Phew, no crash there".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Meeke takes the lead at monte. Kind of sad that he's not doing a full season.

Btw, is WRC+ worth it? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
enamel said:
Ford is trying to sell cars worldwide, so I think they way they put their effort into contingency programs of the Fiesta R2 worldwide is really smart. Same with Subaru, they haven't been in the WRC for years, but they have an awesome contingency program and they dominate the national scenes, so they are still synonymous rally performance.

Since the WRC is now basically another European championship with a couple rounds overseas, it has lost a lot of relevance for manufacturers that want to target markets outside the EU.

I dont think theres ever been more than 5 rallies outside ofeurope on the wrc calender (perhaps one exception i cant find), and theres 4 this year, so that hardly a big difference.
4 out of 14 isnt exactly "only a couple of rounds either. Yes the majority is in europe, but thats due to it being the main cultural centre for rallying, plus with such a variety of climates and landscapes within a small area, its not as though its visiting too many similar events by staying mostly throughout europe.
Take into consideration that the entrant numbers would dramatically fall at most non european countries, as well as spectator numbers. Unfortunately the trend in motorsports is very much in cost-cutting mode, and that spreads to the actual places they travel to to compete.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Myrvold said:
austinb said:
Anyone else, feel like the championship will loose something when Kubica leaves it after Monaco? Yes he's not been successful, but he's only been rallying 5 years or so... and is certainly right up there for pace when hes not in a ditch. (and arguably the quickest on tarmac)
He is certainly one of the most exciting drivers to watch.
Not Really. It will loose around the same as when Raikkonen left. A fanatical following, but not much else.
He is not able to be fast and on the road. He have crashed 26 times in 27 events with a WRC-car. He have retired in 33% of all the rallies he have started - That is including the Rally-2 system. If it had been like pre-2005, his two seasons would've been like McRae in 99, without the victories and top 5's.
I also do not agree that he is the quickest on tarmac. He was quick on some stages in Spain, he tends to have 2-3 stages each rally where it works out. But he is far from the fastest on tarmac.
Also, as many Kubica-fans often point out, that he is like McRae. The difference for me, is that McRae was awesome to watch, he was on the limit, but you got a feeling of "Wow! How does he do that?" For me, watching Kubica it's more "Wow! Phew, no crash there".
Fortunately you are not a pundit in a WRC topic, so I take your opinion lightly ;)

Having said that, Kubica hit a tree on SS3,  :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dytut said:
Meeke takes the lead at monte. Kind of sad that he's not doing a full season.

Btw, is WRC+ worth it? 
It is totally worth for me, especially that there isn't any Rally TV or related cover here in Brazil.

It gives you acess to the Highlights and most of the drivers POV and some other stuff.
The player bugs sometimes but nothing that can bother and never had problems on Live stages.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
https://youtu.be/o5Saaxw2RTU

                                                                                                   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very innocent looking accident. How fast was that? 30?

Apart from that, great driving from Meeke. I doubt he will beat Ogier, but he's not far back and solid in second right now. The new Hyundai doesn't look too fast, although Neuville has been better today than yesterday. Same for Camilli, who did some good times in the last stages. Maybe Wilson wasn't wrong in his judgement?

On the other hand, Evans is thrashing the competition in WRC2 and leads, despite dropping a minute with a puncture yesterday. You have to wonder what he could have done in Camillis (or Ostbergs) place.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Well, the difference between RBR and DiRT Rally damage model can by clearly seen here ;) Unfortunately for Robert, RBR is closer to reality...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Most probably this was ice-note crew fail and/or simply letting the brake off a little bit too late and due to the injured arm he didn't had enough time to pull the handbrake like Paddon did: (same corner - he got lucky but eventually had to retire few kms after)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIgiGUrPoZ4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Robert is not able to pull the handbrake, so he pushes it instead. This part of the track is very tricky. SS6 and Camilli off 200m further down the road.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kubica, Paddon, Bertelli and Camilli, all off on the first proper day of the Rally. The Monte takes its toll.

Impressive time by Meeke in SS7. He's back in front.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
PaloSamo said:
Robert is not able to pull the handbrake, so he pushes it instead. This part of the track is very tricky. SS6 and Camilli off 200m further down the road.
 I know about that but it sounded weird and I didn't wanted to be taken as a total retard in english ;)

Lefebvre hit a tree but made it to the end of the stage. Tanak also.
Mikkelsen spun.

Monte takes it's victims.


Update from Bobby about the accident on SS3, translated by me so there may be some mistakes:

"After 6kms there was a one kilometer of an icy road and unfortunately there on this right corner we've slipped of the track.
I'm a bit disappointed. We've never tested on ice while we've driven with tyres for dry tarmac (slicks). I've analyzed the situation from corner before which was also icy but the grip wasn't so bad in there as I've supposed.
If this wouldn't be enough I've didn't switch off the turbine maintain [v: wrong translation for sure]. When we got of from the right turn without gas and without pressing the brake the turbo maintain was still pushing the car forward and we've slipped of the road and ended up hitting a tree with left front.

As I've said before I'm disappointed because a moment before I've thought that it won't be so bad, and next corner it happened that there was more ice and we're a passengers.  At 25km/h there was nothing we could do".

Well the turbo maintain switch explains a lot. That's how it's called?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×