WRC 2019 Thread

bogani said:
But graphical splits shouldn't really be that hard to implement?
Lack of splits and stage times are down to new timing system afaik. Hopefully they can sort it out today, live map was not working also for some time.
I feel bad for Hyundai, Ott speed thou! 'a lot to learn' as he said yesterday. 

Hyundai really is the next VW if you exclude it's proneness to mechanical failures.

Edit: WRC+ All Live has huge potential (love the studio and fillers between the stages), new technologial upgrades always come with some issues, I'm 100% sure it'll get better and better with every event.

Splits have been there this morning, so got that fixed. Still some problems with end of stage interviews, but it's getting there. 

Whoa, Tänak turning up the heat. 6 seconds faster than Ogier in SS6.

sqdstr said:
I don't really get this bashing on Neuville?
A lot of drivers made mistakes but no one talks about that? Neuville was just the most unlucky one.
And to say he's back in his 2017 rhythm, he ended 2nd overall so what's so bad about that?
And tbh, 3 minutes means nothing in Monte, anything can happen there
I'm a Neuville fan and I am the first to say Thierry has had some very bad luck in the last two seasons and he has almost always paid a big price for his mistakes. But this doesn't change the fact that he'll never win the WDC if he keeps on like this and he knows it well himself. 

Also, I prefer to take things on the funny side rather than lay down and cry. This is a thing you learn well and quickly when you're a Ferrari and Neuville fan :D

There was no on-ground cameras yesterday because (quoting guy who responded to me on reddit, source below):

"Live signal goes from the cars, up to the aircraft, which boosts it enough to either send it directly to the studio or at least to ground-based infrastructure (such as cell towers) that can carry it the rest of the way. Depending on location and ground infrastructure the ground cameras will either work the same way or transmit directly to the ground infrastructure. The lack of ground cameras is probably more of a manpower thing than anything else. Two years back I counted the number of camera crews on the Power Stage in Sweden. There were 16 manned ground cameras just in the final 2 miles. With more live stages (which means longer hours for the crews and more equipment) they'll probably have fewer manned ground cameras per stage in order to spread them out better across the rally."

https://www.reddit.com/r/rally/comments/7sykmq/no_discussion_thread/dt8oo5f/

Today footage is quite good so far (I'm rewatching, no spoilers for me boys)

Edit: kay, take it back. SS4 is barely watchable... all that stutter.

Edit 2: and i take back taking back. it's fine now.

WRC+ All Live is definitely worth the money.  I will  go with a yearly Abo.
I like it the whole stages with commentary and a lot of interviews Live and all also available in the evening on demand.
Some small problems but it's a great idea.

Okay, this year's Rally Montecarlo is proving once and for all that it's not just speed that makes you win:
Thierry Neuville SS1: gets in a ditch at walking speed, loses 4 and a half minutes because there are no spectators to help him out
Sebastien Ogier SS7: gets stuck in a ditch at walking speed, is out in 30 seconds thanks to the spectators
All I know now is Thierry will always find a bad place to get stuck :/

carpa said:
Okay, this year's Rally Montecarlo is proving once and for all that it's not just speed that makes you win:
Thierry Neuville SS1: gets in a ditch at walking speed, loses 4 and a half minutes because there are no spectators to help him out
Sebastien Ogier SS7: gets stuck in a ditch at walking speed, is out in 30 seconds thanks to the spectators
Probably one of the reasons why Neuville lost so much more is the fact that there were lots of snow and ice where he went off so the car was more difficult to get back on the road.

I'm really enjoying all live despite the technical difficulties. I'm expecting as they get more experience doing this they will be able to improve.

Totally worth the extra over regular wrc+ imo.

Agreed! Feels a lot more involved than just listening to the radio, and so much fun to see all the road condition changes as they happen :-) Also, the small interviews and stuff that pops up between the stages are so much better when you know exactly what happened the last few stages.

Jepsertti said:
carpa said:
Probably one of the reasons why Neuville lost so much more is the fact that there were lots of snow and ice where he went off so the car was more difficult to get back on the road.
There were also less spectators in the stage, so less people who could try to get him back running

Great rally, as usual :-) Ogier really shows that he's the Monte master, great to see Ott settling in with the Toyota. All title contenders except Mikkelsen got some decent points. Hyundai gets off to a quite bad start for the manufacturers as usual.

For those of you who are on the fence about WRC All Live, I think it's definitely worth the money. Was so nice to be able to follow the action as it unfolded. Some technical hickups on the way, and the issues with the timing not working well didn't help, but even with those issues it was still good. spot

Yeah, an eventful start to the year. Great opening result for Tanak and good fight backs from Evans and Neuville. Good push from Meeke on the power stage as well, at least he got something positive out of the weekend.

Østberg following Markko Märtin's example and is joining Paddon at the 2018 Otago Rally <3 : 
http://otagorally.com/home/news/643-norwegian-wrc-star-to-make-otago-classic-rally-debut

Dytut said:
dwkGravey said:
I logged into WRC+ to watch the preview show, and saw this:

Sure, I'll take All Live for €30! But before I could even confirm payment, I got two e-mails from PayPal telling me I had been charged €50 and €30. This is 8 hours before my current sub is supposed to renew.

So now I'm waiting to hear back from WRC, and am currently out way more than I ever wanted to spend on WRC+.
That's the upgrade offer from regular WRC+. It's a bit sloppy.
I kept asking, and they finally refunded me the €30. But I still have All Live, since they said they can't cancel upgrades (their original excuse). So I'll enjoy as much of All Live as I can while it lasts. Only Mexico and Argentina will really be live for me, but having every stage and studio segment on demand is pretty great. I watched SS14 for that Dirt Rally action.

Will be interesting to see if this Monte run will boost Meeke. Finally he relaxed and adapted his pace to what the car can do when the conditions don't fit it, and he got a good amount of points for it. If he can use that as a boost for the rest of the season he could become a real contender. We know the C3 is fast when conditions are good for it, so if he can leverage that speed when available and adapt when it isn't instead of crashing out... We'll see :-)

Meeke only lost 35 seconds between stages 9 trough 17, so I think the C3 is fine. Breen was quick as well before destroying his brakes when a little rock got caught between the rim and the brake.

I'm glad for Meek, smart rally with strong result, great start for the season. Hyundai in the other had :open_mouth: I bet they'll do a lot better in Sweden. I just hope the snowy conditions will last til the rally.

I agree Meeke has made the most of an underwhelming performance of the car. Nice to see.

But in terms of speed, it doesn't look too good for Citroen. Until the last day, Meeke placed mostly between 6th and 10th in the stages. Not good. On the other hand, this was Monte Carlo, and we all know it's a unique event.

We will already see in Sweden if the upgrades to the suspension have done any good, because last year's Citroen on snow was a complete disaster handling-wise.

So S.Loeb, K.Block, P.Solberg, J.Kristofferson and probably A.Bakkerud will be on one or more wrc rounds this year.
Thats a lot of RX drivers, are they tired to run in circles ?  :# (just joking)

Also Top Gear (with Chris Harris) were filming on monday with all the wrc cars :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ZcQ03ZUSlc&t=21s
WIth A.Bengué (C3),  E.Evans (Fiesta), JM.Latvala (Yaris), A.Mikkelsen  (i20)

In other news, some Finnish guy is so butthurt about Tänak beating Latvala and Lappi that he's sent a complaint to FIA because of this  https://twitter.com/PeAChapaRacing/status/957725243279323137
From Motorsportforums.com - "I have today brought this case to various offices in FIA and offices which are affiliated with FIA, both sporting as well as mobility divisions concerned with road traffic safety. Whether they want to set an example or not is a different case, but the ball is firmly rolling at least, like it should be. My bottom line still remains, I am a great fan of rallying and I don't want to see drivers disrespecting the sport." (http://www.motorsportforums.com/showthread.php?39790-WRC-Driver-Conduct-On-Road-Sections-Case-T%E4nak-at-Monte-Carlo&p=1170665&viewfull=1#post1170665 )