WRC 2019 Thread

To be fair, the one being a dumbass in this case is Tanak. 

Rallying would certanly not need an accident caused by reckless driving on the road sections.

Seems like then all of the drivers are dumbasses :)
Nope, you need to drive as a civilean while on the road section, Ogier was late in Poland and he had to push in the road section and he was fined

Wow, I'm so late to the conversation. I though Rally Monte Carlo was awesome. How Ogier balanced his charge showed great driver talent and that Ford seems to be working well. Pleased to see the Blue Oval on top. I can't wait for Sweden. Nueville can't seem to catch a break though.

I can tell you Tanäk wasn't the only one having some fun on open road (one example at 00:20 in this video)  : 
https://youtu.be/5O-INzThaZ0
And still there were a few other doing the same stuff just no footage of them, with one having a spin a few hundred meters from the footage posted previously.

AS much as i enjoy watching this im sure this video could be grounds for a fine or reprimand from the team.After all the bystanders / locals do not necessarily know that its him coming by with amazing car control,and may be in fear for their life /property.Again i would have love that he does that next to me on the street,but this world is different anymore .

bogani said:

Rallying would certanly not need an accident caused by reckless driving on the road sections.
I read it as the dude got pissed for Tänak beating them on the leaderboard. Guess I misunderstood. I haven't watched the rally yet.

I can see why their would be a problem because if Tanak did crash that would be bad for the WRC. People should lighten up a little though because there are stupid kids doing the same thing on public roads. Who would you rather have drift past you?

Rallying certainly doesn't need any bad press... but if there is any serious reprimands from this I personally think its pathetic. A little slide in front of a few enthusiastic spectators isn't going to kill anyone. This sort of thing happens at every rally, but as we now live in age where everyone has a camera phone, things that would never have been seen by more than a handful of people are now shared on the internet. 

Seems like then all of the drivers are dumbasses :)
Nope, you need to drive as a civilean while on the road section, Ogier was late in Poland and he had to push in the road section and he was fined
Yup. All of the drivers are like this :) This is why I can't understand why that Finnish dude makes such a number out of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asQ8xsF3Yzc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UT8pg0xEQ4I
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GcqmzSGLx-M
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADO5n8LqePU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAtfq4z3vx0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uaswEGOF7ok

bogani said:

I read it as the dude got pissed for Tänak beating them on the leaderboard. Guess I misunderstood. I haven't watched the rally yet.
TBH, his first post in motorsportforums was kind of a but-hurt. He suggested  that fine for reckless driving from FIA isn't just enough and FIA should  make Tänak an example and warning for future - dsq. Monte Carlo Rally and ban for several events. I mean, if FIA decides that it was too much and Tänak did it for just showoff, then yeah, he should be punished by a fine, not ruing his season. Thanks to OP's extreme views got Estonians mad. More over, OP's isn't just a random dude, i love his videos from rallies and he has quite popular YT channel.

juu1ius said:
bogani said:

TBH, his first post in motorsportforums was kind of a but-hurt. He suggested  that fine for reckless driving from FIA isn't just enough and FIA should  make Tänak an example and warning for future - dsq. Monte Carlo Rally and ban for several events. I mean, if FIA decides that it was too much and Tänak did it for just showoff, then yeah, he should be punished by a fine, not ruing his season. Thanks to OP's extreme views got Estonians mad. 
As a Finn I feel like I should ask for an advice regarding this situation; should I find an emergency shelter from angry Estonians?

Jepsertti said:
As a Finn I feel like I should ask for an advice regarding this situation; should I find an emergency shelter from angry Estonians?
Nah, we only hate this guy who made the statement. :D
Edit: Ogier and Mikkelsen should also be DSQ and banned from several rallies! ;) In conclusion, the thread in Motorsport Forums is just hypocrisy at its finest. /case closed

https://youtu.be/5O-INzThaZ0?t=21s

Nueville can't seem to catch a break though.
Sometimes he overshoots the braking points but he's surely able to get that Hyundai to breaking point... or wrecking, depending on speed
Which nicely brings us to my point... Neuville spun and crashed on the road section in Spain last year. He didn't get a fine. All WRC drivers, and as far as I know all rally drivers in general, are known to warm up their tyres in not-exactly-street-legal ways before each stage. Should they all be DSQ from the Monte? Does that mean the winner is the zero car? Am I supposed to hide from an horde of angry rally fans now?

EDIT: I just read the original post from motorsport forums and it is one of the most hilarious things I've ever seen... if it was a parody

The Tanak thing is different though. He throws the car around being inches away from a civilian veichle/person. You can yell all you want about superior car control, but what he can't control is the enviroment. What if one of the people by the car mis steps as he is brushing by? Then it's game over for Tanak and Rally as a sport will draw massive amounts of black headlines and bad rep. The rallying world surely does not need that.

I really have no problem with drivers warming their tires and components on the car, but pick the spot wisely and show better judgement ffs.

We could go on and on about this - rallying is a dangerous sport and the drivers have done/are still doing dangerous overtakes, close calls etc on road sections (not easy to 'cool down' after a stage), there's nothing unique in Tänak's case. Throwing out statements like a need for disqualifying and a ban for several rallies just smells like complete butthurtness - that's why this video came up in the first place.

bogani said:
The Tanak thing is different though. He throws the car around being inches away from a civilian veichle/person. You can yell all you want about superior car control, but what he can't control is the enviroment. What if one of the people by the car mis steps as he is brushing by? Then it's game over for Tanak and Rally as a sport will draw massive amounts of black headlines and bad rep. The rallying world surely does not need that.

I really have no problem with drivers warming their tires and components on the car, but pick the spot wisely and show better judgement ffs.
Rally survived Group B (which produced the best Rally Cars of all time). If I was that guy on the side of the road I would have been like, "Wow! I get see Rally Cars fly by like this. Totally awesome!"

bogani said:

But would you choose this incident to make an example and ban him from events? Because if you do, then how can we look past Ogier, who slides past a van on open road in uncontrolled environment in much higher speed. Anyways, OP has clearly some issues and that thread is just bananas, I like this one here, let's keep all the Finns and championship points safe here. 

juu1ius said:
bogani said:

But would you choose this incident to make an example and ban him from events? Because if you do, then how can we look past Ogier, who slides past a van on open road in uncontrolled environment in much higher speed. Anyways, OP has clearly some issues and that thread is just bananas, I like this one here, let's keep all the Finns and championship points safe here. 
Nope, I never said I want to see a ban or a penalty of any sort in this case. I'm merely pointing out the huge shitstorm that will take place if a rally car is involved in a crash with a civilian while hooning around on the road sections between stages. It's easy to avoid.

honestly if their "warming up tires " and doing slides on public road is kept up,its just a matter of time until someone will get  hurt , not just butthurt.
   I love to see car control beyond anything in this world,and love rallying.Its just that if youre a PRO, these road sections arent the place to jeopardize your rallying career as this world looks at casualties and deaths with a serious "butthurt".
  Again, its probably not the WRC drivers that will make a mistake,but public roads people get skiddish,and may make a move when they see a car coming at them or pull out etc. Just my opinions.

bogani said:

The thing is, he wasn't going at particolarly high speed, and he wasn't driving in a forbidden place of the road either. The only thing that is considered unsafe is the fact he's a bit sideways, but he's a World Motorsport level rally driver on a car built and setup to do such things. I honestly can't see the difference between what he did and the same scenario but without sliding, at the same speed. The space between his car and the parked one wouldn't change much. If someone standing by missteps and falls on the road in front of him he's going to run over him in both cases. The only bad thing I can see is other people imitating him but I don't think the distinction between a special stage and road means much to them anyway

In other news, just read that the number of cars registered for the WRC classes in this year's Rally Sweden is up by almost 50% :-)  46 last year, 67 this year, which is the highest number in 10 years. Now that's good news for rallying to be sure!

Dytut said:
In other news, just read that the number of cars registered for the WRC classes in this year's Rally Sweden is up by almost 50% :-)  46 last year, 67 this year, which is the highest number in 10 years. Now that's good news for rallying to be sure!
Yes, but it is mostly because of JWRC

Its just that if youre a PRO, these road sections arent the place to jeopardize your rallying career as this world looks at casualties and deaths with a serious "butthurt".
This world looks at casualties and deaths with a serious "butthurt" - justifiably so, right??