Sign in to follow this  

Increase available data through API

For the ones here that use external applications for data logging or for a HUD on the sim-racing setup, i would like to request some additional data to be opened up through the API. We have some basic info right now like revs, speed, gear, but this is just the basics, we should take it a few steps further. I'd like to see stuff like:
- Water temp
- oil temp
- tire temp/wear
- Damage info
- current time
- Difference between current time and best time
- Current position
- total stage distance versus remaining distance
 For those who don;t know what awesome stuff you can do with this type of information, have a look at these videos:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1905AOMvrs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvV4JTGaea4

I'd much prefer to have detailed info like that available in-game (on HUD indicators and/or toggled telemetry overlays) without needing to rely on external/third-party apps & devices.

Operator1 said:

I'd much prefer to have detailed info like that available in-game (on HUD indicators and/or toggled telemetry overlays) without needing to rely on external/third-party apps & devices.

If they calculate those numbers, it makes little difference if they display it in your HUD on your screen or on an external display. Of course displaying it on your main screen should also be an option.
However for those with a simracing setup it's perfect to keep your main monitor free and display the info on a smartphone or tablet.
And if it's available through an API, you can record your session and see where you can still improve your driving (as seen in the 2nd vid).
It's something for the simraching niche crowd, but since that's the audience codemasters are aiming at with this game i'd say it's worth including it. Should be easy enough to do that in an update (as long as the data is available in the game engine).

own996 said:
Operator1 said:

...displaying it on your main screen should also be an option...

Agreed. If the game provides the data, then all of the available data should be accessible both in-game & from external apps. I definitely like the idea of having that kind of data, but reliance on external apps & devices should not be a mandatory requirement to see it.

I thought that stuff didn't really even affect DR that much... I mean a lap timer would be nice, but oil temp doesn't seem to do much. I will say however that DR doesn't work with the Fanatec LCD display, and after playing with RaceRoom, I'd like to have it so. In RaceRoom you can assign a button to change it between speed, gear with rev counter (sort of), position, fuel and speed+gear. It's brilliant, and I don't need to have a separate phone or tablet. Conversely, most of that info is also on the LCD display inside the majority of the cars.

JZStudios said:
I thought that stuff didn't really even affect DR that much... I mean a lap timer would be nice, but oil temp doesn't seem to do much. 
Might be, at the moment we don;t see it so i don't know how deep the simulation is. You do get warnings like high water temp after damaging the radiator, but if that's related to an actual temp, or if it's just a message, i don't know.
Regarding your fanatec lcd display, i agree for 100% that it should be supported. It's these kind of things that make the game stand out.

What about having telemetry on consoles ?? The ego engine exposes everything on F1, even on PS4. Why not DiRT series ??