Jump to content Jump to content

Is duel racing getting more realistic?

Don’t know about you, but since a few days duels seem to be more balanced. No insanely fast opponents anymore like before. Most duels are pretty close in all race types.

I do get some opponents that are much slower, but not many. At least their performance matches their PB now more or less. So if their PB is very slow, they will drive slow now and not very fast all of a sudden like before often. These very slow opponents are still fake however, since they can’t have high winning streaks and win ratios (like it states before the race). 

If the opponent has a fast PB they tend to be a little slower now against you than their PB. So you still have a chance. If your PB is faster than theirs you mostly win with a small margin, unless you make a mistake. I’m not saying they are all real now, but at least you get the feeling they could be!

So maybe it will become fun after all?

Edited by RubiconXX78

16 hours ago, RubiconXX78 said:

Don’t know about you, but since a few days duels seem to be more balanced. No insanely fast opponents anymore like before. Most duels are pretty close in all race types.

I do get some opponents that are much slower, but not many. At least their performance matches their PB now more or less. So if their PB is very slow, they will drive slow now and not very fast all of a sudden like before often. These very slow opponents are still fake however, since they can’t have high winning streaks and win ratios (like it states before the race). 

If the opponent has a fast PB they tend to be a little slower now against you than their PB. So you still have a chance. If your PB is faster than theirs you mostly win with a small margin, unless you make a mistake. I’m not saying they are all real now, but at least you get the feeling they could be!

So maybe it will become fun after all?

Could be, but I just created an account to let you know that I believe I raced you three times in a row yesterday (all qualies)--Silverstone (I won; looks like you spun out) >> Monaco (you won; passed me in chicane) >> France (I won; passed you on the straight away).  So, if that was you, yes, there was a human on the other side.   Good clean racing.  But, they are for sure not all like that.

• Agree 1

Yeah I’ve noticed it too. Mainly or only in qualifying. Maybe the sprint races too. I’ve had some monumental races the last couple days. Some close, tight wins, and some losses by nothing more then the front wing or a couple car lengths. 
It’s been a lot more fun. 

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, LET5G0BRAND0N said:

Could be, but I just created an account to let you know that I believe I raced you three times in a row yesterday (all qualies)--Silverstone (I won; looks like you spun out) >> Monaco (you won; passed me in chicane) >> France (I won; passed you on the straight away).  So, if that was you, yes, there was a human on the other side.   Good clean racing.  But, they are for sure not all like that.

First of all let me thank you for letting me know. That’s really cool to know.

You’re right and I can remember our races of yesterday evening. I spun on Silverstone while I was 1.2 secs in the lead (threw my iPhone out of the window for that 😅), won Monaco (passed the chicane straight line, I assumed you were a bot and I was behind, sorry), and Castellet I don’t know anymore how the race went except that I lost 😂

I always try to race clean simply because the bots won’t crash and I will, so there’s no gain in doing that. If I was sure all races were real humans I still wouldn’t do it, also for the same reason, but also because it’s no fun at all. Only thing I do is when I have a better start in grid start races, is to squeeze a little bit but after that I try to keep it fair. 

Was wondering though in our Silverstone race I passed you in the first sector, but before that I was very close behind and it looked as if we had contact and I pushed you a little bit. Did you notice? I usually try to get the ghosting to activate first and then pass, instead of passing by immediately since that usually results in the opponent driving you off the track from the side. 

But I’m very glad to get proof now there’s actually real players out there and that our races immediately felt ‘real’ before I knew they were. So I will keep an eye out to see if I can distinguish between the real players and the fake ones, because I still believe the majority of races is fake. 

A thought that I just had about why sometimes the opponent is way slower than his PB, which is weird imo (if you would dismiss the possibility of bot opponents). Could it be that:

1. The opponent leaves before the duel starts and then the AI takes over driving slower than the real player would have been otherwise? I noticed that it doesn’t happen anymore in the 2021 version that when you leave before the race starts it costs you a loss. In the 2020 this usually did cost you a loss. 

2. The opponent chooses the wrong chassis before the race starts? So in stead of the Mercedes or RB chassis ends up with the much slower TR car and drives much slower than he would have otherwise?

I just raced a Hungary qualifying. My PB is 1:10:3xx, the opponent had 1:10:7xx. But I won with more than 8 secs difference. Strange right? Sector times didn’t show one bad sector (could have been a spin otherwise), but all sectors equally slow compared to mine. It just doesn’t make sense if it was a real player. 

Edited by RubiconXX78

1 hour ago, RubiconXX78 said:

First of all let me thank you for letting me know. That’s really cool to know.

You’re right and I can remember our races of yesterday evening. I spun on Silverstone while I was 1.2 secs in the lead (threw my iPhone out of the window for that 😅), won Monaco (passed the chicane straight line, I assumed you were a bot and I was behind, sorry), and Castellet I don’t know anymore how the race went except that I lost 😂

I always try to race clean simply because the bots won’t crash and I will, so there’s no gain in doing that. If I was sure all races were real humans I still wouldn’t do it, also for the same reason, but also because it’s no fun at all. Only thing I do is when I have a better start in grid start races, is to squeeze a little bit but after that I try to keep it fair. 

Was wondering though in our Silverstone race I passed you in the first sector, but before that I was very close behind and it looked as if we had contact and I pushed you a little bit. Did you notice? I usually try to get the ghosting to activate first and then pass, instead of passing by immediately since that usually results in the opponent driving you off the track from the side. 

But I’m very glad to get proof now there’s actually real players out there and that our races immediately felt ‘real’ before I knew they were. So I will keep an eye out to see if I can distinguish between the real players and the fake ones, because I still believe the majority of races is fake. 

So you perpetrated a bit of chicanery in Monaco did you? (Pun intended.)  You'll have to live with that. 😁  What I think is cool is that we're seemlessly able to go head-to-head while I'm in Massachusetts USA and you're presumably in the UK.  Might as well give Code Masters credit for that.  In any event, since it was a qualy, the ghosting worked as it should; didn't feel a thing.  But, man, you should have seen yourself skidding off the track! 😀  I'm sure, had you been a bot, you would have taken me out and miraculously, immediately corrected yourself. 😡  I hope we can race again!  Cheers 

Yes racing again would be nice. 🏎 😎

I’m located in the Netherlands btw. Technically this game is very good, apart from a few bugs, but the racing, physics and graphics are really nice. Only the many bots are a shame, but maybe it will get better. Your post gave me some confidence in that. 

As for the ghosting not being there and getting nipped from behind and shunted off the track,  maybe there are some times it doesn’t work? Or a cheat hack. Or it’s a bot. Because I’ve been close behind, never wanted to go near the opponent, but ended up clipping them. It never ghosted correctly. 

Either way. It’s been quite fun to race close. Win or lose. 

And to be honest, I’d love to have zero ai in any race. Head to head only, real or bot. Preferably real. And have ‘room’s so to speak to select 1, 3 or 5 lap races. 2-4 players. And if I want to race ai I’ll choose the career mode. 

It's my impression that ghosting always works in qualies.  I don't recall ever experiencing contact in a qualifier.  My experience with sprints and grids is that application of ghosting is inconsistent at best.  Hey, speaking of inconsistent . . . how about those grid starts at Silverstone?  Ever have one of those starts from 12th position but your opponent starts in 7th (or 6th)?  (I'm not talking about the ones that appear to start in 12th but you go airborne in the middle of the grid.)

Edited by LET5G0BRAND0N
Verbiage correction

Yes I’ve had those starts often. So strange, 

I’ve also had the one where I get the go signal  but the guy is way behind and losing time instantly on a sprint race. Never made sense then it happened to me several times but the other way. 3,2,1 then he is racing past and is 2 seconds in front not far after the start line. We don’t start together. I don’t get that one either. Because sometimes I catch him during the race and pace. Feels like some kind of s handicap start. Or it’s a glitch.  

I’d love to say I agree boys but its been the same old stuff for me. I have been on much this week so will pay more attention in the coming days. Just as a note I have changed my name on the game from THEPOPE to NOIIREALIIRACES. 
I would love to know if any one remembers racing me. Take a screen shoot and frame it as real races are a very rare thing indeed. 

2 hours ago, ThePope71 said:

Just as a note I have changed my name on the game from THEPOPE to NOIIREALIIRACES. 
I would love to know if any one remembers racing me. Take a screen shoot and frame it as real races are a very rare thing indeed. 

What’s you rank currently? Just checking to see if there’s a chance we could be matched in a duel. 

8 hours ago, RubiconXX78 said:

Which race types were these?

Both sprint races. Finished dead last and on the one in Brazil, I couldn’t even see 11th place. AI just disappeared. Both drivers had slower best lap times than mine and just took off in third gear and I’m pretty confident I’ve got one of the fastest set ups you can have but obviously just lower levels than some.8C71D13E-6DBF-44CC-A7C5-E891C5CEAAFE.thumb.png.4d7ec9a1119fc8053ec6bc68401d5065.png

1 hour ago, IHATEF1MOBILE said:

Both sprint races. Finished dead last and on the one in Brazil, I couldn’t even see 11th place. AI just disappeared. Both drivers had slower best lap times than mine and just took off in third gear and I’m pretty confident I’ve got one of the fastest set ups you can have but obviously just lower levels than some.8C71D13E-6DBF-44CC-A7C5-E891C5CEAAFE.thumb.png.4d7ec9a1119fc8053ec6bc68401d5065.png

I have exactly the same setup as yours, same chassis level 7. Only my parts are level 6 and 7, so my PI is 2244 now. 

On Brasil my PB is currently 1:05:2xx and Austria 1:03:8xx. Qualifying times of course  

For me the Austria sprint race seems possible with a 1:04:1xx lap time of your opponent, if the opponent didn’t had much traffic and a higher PI (and maybe some extra driving skills, who knows). Your opponents lap time of 1:03:7 in the Brasil sprint race seems pretty unlikely to me, but still not impossible with a much higher PI. However, if these opponents disappeared immediately with the rest of the AI’s they must have had some traffic. With traffic these lap times would be pretty damn hard to drive even with a much higher PI car. 

So I would say these were fake opponents as well. 

Had several fake races tonight as well. Three of them were easily won with 10-15 secs difference, where the opponents time was immediately posted after I finished (which is impossible according to Einsteins laws 🙃). One of them I lost on Castellet. Opponent had a PB of 1:24:2 there but drove 1:22:7 against me in qualifying. So would he have upgraded his car right before our race or something? I just don’t believe it. You don’t just improve your PB in a duel with 1,5 secs just like that, unless you haven’t driven on a track for weeks and did several upgrades in between. Anyway, I could keep close behind till half of the track with a very good first sector (so I was on my way to a 1:25:xxx lap I think), but then got behind very quickly without making big mistakes, no chance at all. 

Edited by RubiconXX78

On 1/28/2022 at 11:06 PM, RubiconXX78 said:

I have exactly the same setup as yours, same chassis level 7. Only my parts are level 6 and 7, so my PI is 2244 now. 

On Brasil my PB is currently 1:05:2xx and Austria 1:03:8xx. Qualifying times of course  

For me the Austria sprint race seems possible with a 1:04:1xx lap time of your opponent, if the opponent didn’t had much traffic and a higher PI (and maybe some extra driving skills, who knows). Your opponents lap time of 1:03:7 in the Brasil sprint race seems pretty unlikely to me, but still not impossible with a much higher PI. However, if these opponents disappeared immediately with the rest of the AI’s they must have had some traffic. With traffic these lap times would be pretty damn hard to drive even with a much higher PI car. 

So I would say these were fake opponents as well. 

Had several fake races tonight as well. Three of them were easily won with 10-15 secs difference, where the opponents time was immediately posted after I finished (which is impossible according to Einsteins laws 🙃). One of them I lost on Castellet. Opponent had a PB of 1:24:2 there but drove 1:22:7 against me in qualifying. So would he have upgraded his car right before our race or something? I just don’t believe it. You don’t just improve your PB in a duel with 1,5 secs just like that, unless you haven’t driven on a track for weeks and did several upgrades in between. Anyway, I could keep close behind till half of the track with a very good first sector (so I was on my way to a 1:25:xxx lap I think), but then got behind very quickly without making big mistakes, no chance at all. 

I'm not sure about you but my times always go up when i've finished the race, lets say i've crossed the line at 1.20.0 when it goes to the screen of showing "you've won" the timing will say 1.24.0. It adds time on and i've always checked but you will have a quicker fastest lap than what the actual screen says you've finished on every race if that makes sense!

21 hours ago, IHATEF1MOBILE said:

I'm not sure about you but my times always go up when i've finished the race, lets say i've crossed the line at 1.20.0 when it goes to the screen of showing "you've won" the timing will say 1.24.0. It adds time on and i've always checked but you will have a quicker fastest lap than what the actual screen says you've finished on every race if that makes sense!

Makes complete sense to me.  I happened to notice that exact thing a few days ago with a Monaco qualie.  In fact, I specifically focused on this because I was wondering how accurate the posted times were.  Much to my chagrin, as soon as I crossed the finish line I saw my time in the upper left corner as 1:07, but then the posted total time showed 1:12.  An extra 5 seconds was added!  Yet another head scratcher about this game. 

• Agree 1

Yes that part I never got. I noticed that some time ago that it doesn’t match. So I’d check my time with the stopwatch and try and see what it was when finishes then check my track records to see if I got a faster time etc. 

why oh why it doesn’t show the real lap time is anyones guess. 

On 1/31/2022 at 5:10 PM, IHATEF1MOBILE said:

Just be sure, the issue you’re describing is the same as I wrote in this topic right? https://forums.codemasters.com/topic/91577-lap-times-still-incorrect-in-duels/
Its a known bug since the launch of the 2021 version and I really can’t understand why this hasn’t been fixed yet. Many forum users have reported this bug already before  

I suspect that the time you ‘race’ before the duel really starts, is added to the time for the real lap starting after the 3,2,1 count down has ended. Sector times are correct though and when these are added up you get the real lap time. 

Edited by RubiconXX78

14 minutes ago, RubiconXX78 said:

Just be sure, the issue you’re describing is the same as I wrote in this topic right? https://forums.codemasters.com/topic/91577-lap-times-still-incorrect-in-duels/
Its a known bug since the launch of the 2021 version and I really can’t understand why this hasn’t been fixed yet. Many forum users have reported this bug already before  

I suspect that the time you ‘race’ before the duel really starts, is added to the time for the real lap starting after the 3,2,1 count down has ended. Sector times are correct though and when these are added up you get the real lap time. 

Yeah that's not a bad shout about the time before the actual start because technically you cross the start line on qualiy runs and sprint races before it releases you as such. it's been a problem since the game was first released originally i believe. It's not an issue really but it's a little tedious but again that's codemasters for you i guess 😄

The final time shown includes the bit before you cross the start line. This is completely nonsensical as it’s the lap time we are all interested in. So why show anything but the lap time. It can’t believe the coders looked at it and said yes that’s what everyone on will prefer a time that makes no sense. Imagine if that’s how it was displayed when you were watching the real f1 on tv. Lewis Hamilton has just done a 1:29:367 oh but no wait we just need to do a bit of math here to work out the actual lap time.   
It’s nonsense and it they won’t fix that they are very unlikely to fix the problems we have of fake races and inconsistent AI cars. 
I wonder if the game is this way because there are not enough players at a high level. I might try starting over. ie lose loads and loads of races to bring my score down from 11085 to under 5000. 
To see if you get more real races. At the moment every race is fake for me and even if I do get a real one I can’t be sure. I raced a guy called Malcome 12 times the other day his lap times were all over the place. Sometimes he / it creamed me by 8 sec other times it beat him / it by 12 sec. I just can’t see it changing in the pro league. 

Edited by ThePope71

1 hour ago, ThePope71 said:

At the moment every race is fake for me and even if I do get a real one I can’t be sure. I raced a guy called Malcome 12 times the other day his lap times were all over the place. Sometimes he / it creamed me by 8 sec other times it beat him / it by 12 sec. I just can’t see it changing in the pro league. 

For me it got worse as well the past two days compared to when I started this post.

What is absolutely clear to me is that you win mostly when you don’t have a good winning streak yet. At least you don’t lose duels often then with very inconsistent performance of the opponent (actual performance vs. best lap time of opponent). But as soon as you get to 4 or 5 streak you can be sure a race will follow with very suspicious outcomes, for example what I experience often:

1. Qualifying—> Opponents pre-race best time is similar to yours. You drive a PB in the duel below the PB time of the opponent, but you still lose by 0,5 a second. I notice often that half way in a lap like this you’re still very close in front or behind (0,2 secs), but in the last 1/3 of the lap all of a sudden the opponents takes a bigger lead to 0,5 secs at least. Doesn’t matter how fast you drive, same outcome, even when you improve your own PB below the opponents pre-race PB. 

2. Sprint race—> Your PB is at least 1,5 secs better than the pre-race PB of the opponent. You don’t make mistakes, but still you’re not able to take the lead and it gets close in the first 1/3 of the race. But it usually ends either in getting knocked off the track, or you race very pre-cautiously but then you will get behind for sure with the help of the other AI cars that brake test you or block you all over the place. 

3. Race start—> No matter how fast or slow the pre-race PB of the opponent, before the first corner you’re 2 seconds behind and all other cars fly by. After the first corner you’re in 12th position and you will lose the race with 8-12 secs behind. Even though my car has become 10 seconds faster in the last let’s say 6 weeks, this still happens in the same way as before I became faster. 

I do however have the feeling that there are real races and I got proof of this by the post by LetsGoBrandon in which he recalled racing against me, but it really feels like that’s a minority of all races. 1 out 4 at best, probably less. 

So here’s an example of the typical “the algorithm doesn’t want you to win” race when you’re at a good streak (5 in this case, which equals 6 wins in a row btw). 

So the ‘opponent’ has a PB of 1:29:6xx, mine is 1:22:5xx. 7 seconds faster. It’s a sprint race on Silverstone  

After the first sector with some traffic I’m ahead with around 1 second. Then all of a sudden the gap behind closes quickly without me making any mistakes, just driving a decent lap and the cars in front have disappeared so a clean track ahead. In Copse corner I’m overtaken and the ‘opponent’ disappears in the distance. At the finish I’m 2.1 seconds behind.

My lap time is 1:23:9xx, a decent time for a sprint race considering my PB of 1:22:5xxx driven in qualifying. Opponents lap time? 1:21:7xx!!!! Huhhhh?!! How?!! His pre-race PB was 1:29:6xx!

Ok, I really don’t care if there’s players out there that are faster for whatever reason. But to have no chance at all no matter what you do against a bot algorithm that will make 100% sure you will lose the race? That’s such an UNDERWHELMING experience, really.

If this was a real player, fine then I would say good gaming. I could say I tried at least and managed to stay ahead the first sector against a better player. But this? Too stupid for words. At least give the bot a PB of 1:20:xxx or less, so that it doesn’t look so unbelievable. But still, give us real HUMAN opponents!

FD041C7B-6559-4125-9965-CB66FA717A1B.png

C22A7D22-2FF2-4323-9CB6-CA288BB64968.png

Edited by RubiconXX78

Here's a good example of a bot: meet my friend, "MANI."  The screenshot below was taken after I had just beaten it four times in a row and was served it up yet again.  I think I raced it about 10 times in the span of 45 minutes, winning every time. (The gift that kept on giving.) Each time its points score wouldn’t decrease (more for me, I guess).  Funny thing is, though, it is ranked (see other screeshot).  This is unlike the ones I've gone up against where neither racer gets points (0), presumably because we have the same amount of points. Numerous times that has happened I've checked the ranks and the opponent is nowhere to be seen, even though we should be on top of each other since we show the same score.  Today's has been a total bot day.

Screenshot_20220203-122313_F1 Mobile Racing.jpg

Screenshot_20220203-123345_F1 Mobile Racing.jpg