Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Active diffs, ABS, TCS etc.

Hey jabronis!

I'm trying to read up on the wizardry of active diffs. How they work, when they were used etc, but it really is a jungle.

As far as I know active diffs could be used freely until the 2006 season. From 2006-2010 an active center diff was allowed. 2011-onwards no active diffs of any kind are allowed.

So, what cars in the game use active diffs? The new Focus/C4 use active centers I guess. However, when it comes to the 2001 cars, I'm not sure. I've read somewhere that even the Group A cars used active front/center diffs. 

Shed some light on this subject please, all WRC historians out there :)

I doubt that the game engine can even begin to replicate what a full or partially active car does in terms of torque vectoring.

On the subject of ABS/TCS I found and interview with Christian Loriaux which I found rather interesting.

"Strictly speaking there is not much tech in our 2011 Ford Fiesta compared to the 2004 car. In that season the car had ABS, clutch control, paddle shift, traction control, active differentials, ride height control with GPS, electronic dampers and active suspension. Having all that tech was fabulous but the cost was high and it was making it too easy for drivers,"

KevM said:
I doubt that the game engine can even begin to replicate what a full or partially active car does in terms of torque vectoring.

I asked Paul on twitter if they simulated active diffs in the cars thad had them. The answer was "yes".

I guess it must be quite a simplification though. It's very very complicated to say the least.

Does anyone drive with any of the assists on in-game? I'm not sure the effect they would have because I've always had them turned off. I've noticed having no ABS affects some cars more than others and certainly the brakes will lock up easier if you disproportionately bias them to the front and slam on.

Anybody knows what the 2001 spec cars used? According to Paul they did not use active diffs but when searching the interwebz most cars of the early WRC era used active front/center diffs.

Going by the rulebook 2001 cars should have all differentials active.2008 Focus and C4 should have only front and rear diff active and center diff mechanical.

macebig said:
Going by the rulebook 2001 cars should have all differentials active.2008 Focus and C4 should have only front and rear diff active and center diff mechanical.
Nah, from 2006 onwards only a center diff could be active.