Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Race of Champions

So anybody gonna be watching the Nations Cup tonight? Should be interesting to see who comes out on top in the Team Australia vs Team Germany, Ricciardo vs Vettel round.

Starts at 19:30 GMT, and it seems Autosport will be showing it live on their website, but only for Autosport Plus members (*******). But it's also going to be on one of the Sky Sports channels from what I can tell.

mike96 said:
I Will! 
I think it's on Skysports F1, isn't it? 
Yup, just had a look, Sky Sport F1 it is :) Thinking Grosjean vs Wherlein should be a pretty good match up too, they raced each other last year and put on a good one from what I remember.

fIsince08 said:
Martin Haven is commentating. Please Sky, take him on permanently!  
No he's ducking useless, every race he says someone has won when they have actually lost...

Yup :( Germany vs England final is gonna be cool, but I can't help feel that Germany has it with Vettel and Hulk. Priaulx and Plato are both great drivers, but against 2 extremely talented F1 drivers... 

Fun fact, the Atoms are built about 5 minutes from my house, see them about quite often :D

Priaulx was awesome, look out for him tomorrow..

And poor JB once again having car issues with a Honda-powered car :D 

That moment when you realise that Priaulx beat two F1 world champions and a 24 hour of Le Mans winner in one day. 

Priaulx for F1 champ, 2017. 

Wouldn't like to put money on a winner today. Great to see such a strong field. Especially considering last year was rather crap. 

VetteIfan said:
That moment when you realise that Priaulx beat two F1 world champions and a 24 hour of Le Mans winner in one day. 

Wouldn't like to put money on a winner today. Great to see such a strong field. Especially considering last year was rather crap. 
And now the DTM champ twice in 20 mins :p 

VetteIfan said:

And now the DTM champ twice in 20 mins :p 
And now an Indycar champ. 

Priaulx for God, 2017. 

Vettel is just a master in that buggy thing. All about getting all the weight on the front and perfectfully rotating the rear end around it. Beat the Hulk by over a second in both races. Looking forward to him vs DC in the semi's. 

I really enjoyed this years' ROC, the pursuit format seemed to work really nicely. Awesome for Priaulx and Plato to beat Vettel and Hulkenberg to the Nations Cup, about time GB won it, and Vettel very deserved win in the main thing.

I was surprised how good Alex Buncombe was actually, I've heard of him before but he's suddenly just done really well.

But my god, Martin Haven and Jennie Gow was possibly the worst commentary team I've ever heard. Jennie should stick to presenting, she's good on the Formula E, but her commentary sucked a lot.

I honestly don't know why you think Sky should take Haven though Chris, I thought he was dreadful, as I usually do when I listen to him. He very often claimed the wrong winner (which is utterly stupid considering a) he has eyes so should be able to see who won, and b) he has a bloody timing screen in front of him.

Him and Gow also made mistakes about which driver was who on occasion, a completely inexcusable mistake to be honest. He also got his facts wrong about particular drivers, for example when Massa nearly won the title in 2008, but he said 2009. I know it's being very picky but that stuff matters, and a 'professional' like him shouldn't make those mistakes. It's commentary like that that genuinely makes me think I could do a better job, seriously. Their commentary made David Croft look like God compared to them.

MBKF1 said:
I really enjoyed this years' ROC, the pursuit format seemed to work really nicely. Awesome for Priaulx and Plato to beat Vettel and Hulkenberg to the Nations Cup, about time GB won it, and Vettel very deserved win in the main thing.

I was surprised how good Alex Buncombe was actually, I've heard of him before but he's suddenly just done really well.

But my god, Martin Haven and Jennie Gow was possibly the worst commentary team I've ever heard. Jennie should stick to presenting, she's good on the Formula E, but her commentary sucked a lot.

I honestly don't know why you think Sky should take Haven though Chris, I thought he was dreadful, as I usually do when I listen to him. He very often claimed the wrong winner (which is utterly stupid considering a) he has eyes so should be able to see who won, and b) he has a bloody timing screen in front of him.

Him and Gow also made mistakes about which driver was who on occasion, a completely inexcusable mistake to be honest. He also got his facts wrong about particular drivers, for example when Massa nearly won the title in 2008, but he said 2009. I know it's being very picky but that stuff matters, and a 'professional' like him shouldn't make those mistakes. It's commentary like that that genuinely makes me think I could do a better job, seriously. Their commentary made David Croft look like God compared to them.
It must have been a blip by Haven. I listened to his commentary on the 24H of Le Mans for Quest and he was excellent, which I normally find :p 

Brrr. Think I've only just defrosted after yesterday!

MBKF1 said:
I really enjoyed this years' ROC, the pursuit format seemed to work really nicely.
The pursuit format worked AMAZINGLY well, didn't it! Have to say I was a little skeptical, but it really did work.

Vettel was totally supreme on Saturday. The amount of time he pulled back, particularly against DC, was just spectacular. Though Alex Buncombe definitely provided the upset of the day :smiley:

Just a shame that the Olympic Stadium was so empty.

Brrr. Think I've only just defrosted after yesterday!

MBKF1 said:
I really enjoyed this years' ROC, the pursuit format seemed to work really nicely.
The pursuit format worked AMAZINGLY well, didn't it! Have to say I was a little skeptical, but it really did work.

Vettel was totally supreme on Saturday. The amount of time he pulled back, particularly against DC, was just spectacular. Though Alex Buncombe definitely provided the upset of the day :smiley:

Just a shame that the Olympic Stadium was so empty.
I was also a bit skeptical before it but I prefer it to the crossover now actually. I thought that they could perhaps make the track a little longer however, now there's no need for a crossover, but obviously they wanted the space for the skills challenge. Also perhaps a longer track would make it a bit more boring with the cars not crossing the line as often.