Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

(Improvement): Group B cars seem to be overperforming in D:R

As it seems to be commonly known, that Group B cars quite are able to beat the 2010's class, I*d like to adress this "issue" explicitely here. With the exception of competing on a "fictional" dead straight, going straight like a quarter mile acceleration race, the group B cars should never be able to beat 2010's class cars under normal rally stage conditions. Dont know if this is currently under investigation, but this should be fine tuned a bit for the final release. As the vast majority here is well aware of the huge technical differences between 1986 and 2010+.... just one fact about Grp B compared to following modern era: by the End of the 1988 WRC season, Grp A cars were already able to beat 86' grp B stages times, just because of their modern transmission / suspension and more efficient turbo technology ... and were talkin' about the 2010 class here...

I want faster Group B.

WRC is a sport for boys, Group B was a sport for men

KevM said:
I want faster Group B.

WRC is a sport for boys, Group B was a sport for men

Im with you buddy regarding the "Myth" and "Experience level" it afforded to drive Grp B cars on the edge.
I love Grp B.
But - unfortunately- stage times of Grp A and WRC era speak a different language and cannot be ignored.

It's not just group B being faster then everything else, there are balancing issues between a few different classes that I hope are addressed.

Despite  their myth and mystic Group B cars,are significantly slower than the current 1,6l turbo WRCs.And that should be represented in a game that brags itself as a rally sim.

My feeling is, all cars, including the Group B, aren't powerful enough.  

We can drive the 2010 cars literally flat out due to the lack of power/abundance of grip, which isn't fast enough to compete with the in-game Grp B.  The 2010 cars, should have the power of the current Group B cars, they have great chassis in comparison and would really utilise the mechanical grip to narrow the time deficit. 

The problem with Group B is, they aren't powerful enough to be a complete handful.  They are safe to drive fast, therefore, naturally they are fast!  They should be insane monsters with ability to punch through grip every time you touch the throttle.  The problem with Grp B should be due to having more power than the antique chassis  can use to be quick!

KevM said:
My feeling is, all cars, including the Group B, aren't powerful enough.  

We can drive the 2010 cars literally flat out due to the lack of power/abundance of grip, which isn't fast enough to compete with the in-game Grp B.  The 2010 cars, should have the power of the current Group B cars, they have great chassis in comparison and would really utilise the mechanical grip to narrow the time deficit. 

The problem with Group B is, they aren't powerful enough to be a complete handful.  They are safe to drive fast, therefore, naturally they are fast!  They should be insane monsters with ability to punch through grip every time you touch the throttle.  The problem with Grp B should be due to having more power than the antique chassis  can use to be quick!
that's exactly what i think.
in general, all cars feel quite underpowered.

I love Group B more than anything. But I do think it should be balanced. 

Main differences between GrB and modern WRC cars are  suspension and drivetrain, and may be weight. Its not about power.
And about safety by the way. :) 
So on strait road GrB may be even faster...

Group B vs. WRC's:

Group B can't beat WRC's in diffs (lock setups, react speeds etc.), suspenssion (speed, travel, adjustment etc.), gearbox (shift speed), tyres (grip, strenght, stability, longitudial & latitudial grip), rev response, easyness of handling etc etc.

But Group B should beat WRC's in weight, brutal power, high speed, downforce, engine noise etc.

Give us more "POWAHHH"

@KevM 
I remembered you a couple of days ago. I was running Monte with 2007 Focus.

Lets remember this car has 300Bhp and 658Nm of torque for 1230 Kg.
On the ice twsty section where you drive on 1,2 and 3 gear I was unable to spin tyres (up hill route).
I dont use any AID to drive and I could drive pedal to the metal all that section.
Of course, car is fully upgraded.
Front and rear differentials were at 70% closed (on the slider). Center was 100% locked and 42% to the front.

Its ice. Even a 60bhp car should spin tyres as crazy.

So yeah Kev, some car engines need more torque in Dirt Rally. Power output (BHP) seems OK

OzoreXS said:

So yeah....... some car engines need more torque in Dirt Rally. Power output (BHP) seems OK

I have the same feeling.

Once tried to donut the 555 Impreza Grp A like Colin Mc Rae did after his legendary wins...
On dry tyremac its nearly impossible to make donuts , .... but in real life vids, the car was clearly capable of doing so.... I quote that as lack of tourque simulated,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7BxU0VCJVM

An upgraded Kadett or M3 won't even do donuts, bogs down.  The only car I can say that I have lost the back end of purely due to powering mid-corner (not acute), has been the 6R4.  Iv lost the Stratos too, but only in 1st gear in a hairpin, 2nd is perfectly controllable!!

Dont slow down the group b, make the newer cars faster.. All the cars are too slow. A 2010 impreza goes through the gears like a fat kid going through candy in real life, not looong legged gears like we have now..

2010 impreza? We have 2001 and 2007. :)

Its not matter of gearbox in itself. It just lacks torque.

The hatchback is 2008-2011 impreza mate ;)
2007 is Hawk eye =)
And dont forget that we have the 95 as well =)

I never said it had anything to do with the gearbox ;)
I had a forester with sti engine and sti 6 speed with 413 hp/492nm at the hubs, and I know how fast those should eat through the gears.