Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2015 Formula 1 Etihad Airways Abu Dhabi Grand Prix

That's the thing, if Merc had actually used their normal strategy of pitting one car a lap after the other, we'd have had a fight for the lead. By keeping Hamilton out they've neutralised any chance of on track action. This isn't their normal strategy, they've more or less gifted Rosberg this win.

That's the thing, if Merc had actually used their normal strategy of pitting one car a lap after the other, we'd have had a fight for the lead. By keeping Hamilton out they've neutralised any chance of on track action. This isn't their normal strategy, they've more or less gifted Rosberg this win.
Or maybe we wouldn't. Seeing how this weekend has been going in terms of the general pace of both drivers. The way I see it, this was an alternative way to get Hamilton the win, it didn't work and then Lewis asked "well, what if I just say out", they said "never going to work" so that was that.

Heard Ted Kravitz was being a nuisance again on Sky to Niki Lauda.

Rosberg doing so well is a mixture of the pressure being off (can't do it when it matters) and Hamilton doing too much partying.

Hughesy said:
Rosberg doing so well is a mixture of the pressure being off (can't do it when it matters) and Hamilton doing too much partying.
It's really difficult for you to just say he did a good job, isn't it?

All the debate about strategy is meaningless, Rosberg had the better pace at all stages of the race other than the last part of the second stint when he had bad graining. Kind of becomes irrelevant what strategy is used in that circumstance. 

But anyway, can't say I'm too sad to see the season end. Definatly one of the poorest seasons in recent memory. Two good races in Silverstone and Sochi, two great races in Hungary and COTA. Malaysia was alright. Other than that everything else is pretty forgettable. Drivers of the season: Hamilton, Vettel, Perez, Verstappen. 

VetteIfan said:
Hughesy said:
It's really difficult for you to just say he did a good job, isn't it?

All the debate about strategy is meaningless, Rosberg had the better pace at all stages of the race other than the last part of the second stint when he had bad graining. Kind of becomes irrelevant what strategy is used in that circumstance. 

But anyway, can't say I'm too sad to see the season end. Definatly one of the poorest seasons in recent memory. Two good races in Silverstone and Sochi, two great races in Hungary and COTA. Malaysia was alright. Other than that everything else is pretty forgettable. Drivers of the season: Hamilton, Vettel, Perez, Verstappen. 
Seemed to me Rosberg was slightly faster for the first half of the race, then Hamilton was faster till the end, except the point where he was on much older tyres. Hamilton also set fastest lap.

Seemed to me Rosberg was slightly faster for the first half of the race, then Hamilton was faster till the end, except the point where he was on much older tyres. Hamilton also set fastest lap.
The whole second half of the race they spent on different aged tyres, so it's perception as to who had the better pace then. But during the time they had equal tyres, up until the last half dozen laps of Rosberg's second stint, he seemed well in control to me.

Yes Hamilton set fastest lap, because he had much fresher tyres when the fuel was low. That's all fastest lap is. Pretty meaningless stat. 

Well, in my opinion, Hamilton had the pace to win if he'd pitted one lap after Rosberg, rather than however many he did in the end. What's the reason for Rosberg being slower at the end of the second stint btw? 

Still have the Hamilton avatar I see ;) Secret fan it looks like :p 

Well, in my opinion, Hamilton had the pace to win if he'd pitted one lap after Rosberg, rather than however many he did in the end. What's the reason for Rosberg being slower at the end of the second stint btw? 

The pace to win and the pace to overtake are a different thing. And I mentioned it in my first post, Rosberg looked like he had pretty bad graining at the end of the second stint for a few laps. Luckily for him it seemed it cleared up before Hamilton could get any closer than a second. 

And yeah, you got me. Dammit. #TEAMLH #HAMMERTIME #ROSTWAT #BLESSED

VetteIfan said:

The pace to win and the pace to overtake are a different thing. And I mentioned it in my first post, Rosberg looked like he had pretty bad graining at the end of the second stint for a few laps. Luckily for him it seemed it cleared up before Hamilton could get any closer than a second. 

Interesting though that he had graining and Hamilton didn't. Reminds me of Rosberg's 'wind' in USA ;)

Actually, it's #Tossberg, gotta get it right now you're a secret Hamilton fan :p 

Interesting though that he had graining and Hamilton didn't. Reminds me of Rosberg's 'wind' in USA ;)

Actually, it's #Tossberg, gotta get it right now you're a secret Hamilton fan :p 
Difference this time being the graining was been proven visually. Whether the "gust of wind" was fact or fiction is a matter of individual opinion due to the fact that wind is invisible.... I've got to a point I can't even remember how this conversation started so let's just agree to disagree on whatever point we're arguing :P

And #Tossberg. Got it. Catchy. 

VetteIfan said:

Difference this time being the graining was been proven visually. Whether the "gust of wind" was fact or fiction is a matter of individual opinion due to the fact that wind is invisible.... I've got to a point I can't even remember how this conversation started so let's just agree to disagree on whatever point we're arguing :P

And #Tossberg. Got it. Catchy. 
Haha yup, we'll never agree on this so time to leave it! I still think though that by wind he meant he was trying to lift his behind a little bit to let it out which accidentally pushed his foot harder onto the throttle ;)

Catchy indeed, the other one I have is #Rosderp lol 

Well turned out to be another boring race. Obviously I'm thrilled that Lewis ended up as champion, but in terms of the spectacle this season it has been one to forget.

The thing I don't understand with Mercedes being so insistent on keeping Hamilton and Rosberg on the same tyre strategy, is that in the past they split them.

I watched back the 2014 Bahrain race and they split the tyres for both of them at the first stop, so Hamilton went option prime, while Rosberg went prime, option. So they did it in the past, and that was a fantastic race!

Vettelfan summed it up very well, two good races in Sochi and Silverstone, and two great races in Hungary and USA, with Malaysia being alright too.

This season has been a bit like 2011 in some respects. A dominant team and driver and most of the races have been dull, but the good races have been great (think of Canada and Hungary).

Also another thing I just realised, the top 10 in the drivers championship were all in team order, the two Mercs, then Ferrari, Williams, Red Bull and Force India.

Suzi Perry sounded very unsure about whether the BBC will be doing F1 next year. Her and DC thanked the entire BBC production team and said "We'll be back in March next year, hopefully." It doesn't sound good for BBC F1 coverage, which is a huge shame as they always out do Sky in the live races.

I know it doesn't matter because of poor results and poor reliability throughout the year but Button is the first driver to outscore Alonso as his teammate, get in! :p

Alonso has been so unlucky, Monaco and USA the car let him down when he was on for good points :(

Lukedfrt said:
Alonso has been so unlucky, Monaco and USA the car let him down when he was on for good points :(

C'est la vie... :p Hopefully next year we'll be able to see a clean fight between them throughout the year. 

To be fair, he was behind Button in Monaco anyway and at USA Button was catching him with fresher tyres before his engine decided to break again. Plus Mclaren didn't pit Button at Hungary like they did with Alonso so a 6th could have been possible for him judging by Alonso's pace (basically a reversal of USA). Then they both lost potential points at Singapore.

The points and standings are irrelevant, but if one thing is clear, they are a lot more closely matched than I think many people anticipated. Again.

VetteIfan said:

You forgot #StillIRise, literally the most iconic hashtag of all time, poor form, extremely poor form that.