Jump to content Jump to content

AMD Stutter Windows 11

steviejay69

Issues here

Windows® 11 Performance on Compatible AMD Processors | AMD (this is older)

Intermittent System Stutter Experienced with fTPM Enabled on Windows® 10 and 11 | AMD (this is newly acknowledged)

takeaway is 

• Keep Windows updated (not preview code)
  • Run AMD chipset driver rev 3.xx.xx.xxx (or OEM higher)
  • Use 'Ryzen Balanced' Windows in power management options (really don't use overclocking or tweaking utilities and expect reliability, you can have fast or right, not both 😇 )
  • You may need AMD AGESA v1.2.0.7 when it lands for your board (via UEFI/BIOS update)

@BarryBL

• Thanks 1

i also beleive you can disable FTPM even with windows 11 installed its just needed to be enabled to install i beleive just ensure you dont bitlocker 1st tho

asus dropped some new bios today however as i am on windows 10 and dont intend to move to 11 just yet (gonna wait until direct storage is available before i consider upgrading and some bug fixes) so i have ftpm disabled to stop windows deciding for me 😂

tbh tho i havent noticed any issues when i did have it enabled on my asus b550xe board with my 5600x in any games i have been playing althoguh f1 2021 hasnt been played for a number of months at this point 

1 hour ago, cearp8858 said:

i also beleive you can disable FTPM even with windows 11 installed its just needed to be enabled to install i beleive just ensure you dont bitlocker 1st tho

asus dropped some new bios today however as i am on windows 10 and dont intend to move to 11 just yet (gonna wait until direct storage is available before i consider upgrading and some bug fixes) so i have ftpm disabled to stop windows deciding for me 😂

tbh tho i havent noticed any issues when i did have it enabled on my asus b550xe board with my 5600x in any games i have been playing althoguh f1 2021 hasnt been played for a number of months at this point 

Yeah the new ASUS / ROG stuff is v1.2.0.6beta, v1.2.0.5 has had quite a bit of heat as being 'not good'.

AMD's Newest BIOS Code Reportedly Wreaks Havoc on Performance, Stability | Tom's Hardware (tomshardware.com)

But, I have always gone for lower TDP CPUs, 3200MHz RAM, balanced settings, etc. Not interested in OC - buy the rated CPU performance you require....

As for TPM/fTPM yeah it can be disabled (Bitlocker caveat) but then you can use install scripts that bypass the TPM check anyway. Also a firm believer in "vanilla", so if CPU/TPM combo is required, have it, enable it....or stick to W10....

....just my two cents. (steviejayztwocents) 😄 (or maybe steviejayz69cents) 😄

FWIW I can't see the difference between v1.2.0.3C and v1.2.0.5A on two different B550 boards, SAM enabled (3600)....but then W11 official, WHQL recommended chipset and GPU driver.

Posted (edited)

As an aside to this, AMD dropped newer v4 chipset drivers on Monday 14/03.

Unrelated to this issue, they contain support for future processors due to land in April (Zen 3 refresh).

My advice would be to wait on v3 drivers unless you take a newer chip or AGESA Combov2 v1.2.0.7 or higher is released for your board.

Edited by steviejay69

Posted (edited)
On 3/16/2022 at 12:04 PM, steviejay69 said:

As an aside to this, AMD dropped newer v4 chipset drivers on Monday 14/03.

Unrelated to this issue, they contain support for future processors due to land in April (Zen 3 refresh).

My advice would be to wait on v3 drivers unless you take a newer chip or AGESA Combov2 v1.2.0.7 or higher is released for your board.

I have installed the v4 drivers (without the issues mentioned in some quarters about the installation). Methodology here;

Download the v4 chipset drivers from AMD website

Uninstall the v3 chipset drivers

v3_uninstall_confirmation.png.26170e3e24ecec09cd707c006cbcd13a.png

Geek will remove the remnants (I deleted the C:\AMD\Chipset Drivers\logs folder manually), reboot

v3_remnants_geek_uninstaller.png.6ad3edaaaa3acf09c7661ef55726dd6d.png

Install the v4 chipset driver

v4_install_confirmation.png.81c256dc7d57dc79933fd6cb6f25f484.png

No errors during installation, reboot as prompted, everything seems just fine (logs included just in case). I shall recommend the v4 chipset drivers, provided the install methodology is on a clean install of Windows 10 or 11 (11 in this instance) or following this SOP.

AMD_Chipset_Software_Install.log AMD_Chipset_Software_Uninstall.log

Edited by steviejay69

• 1 month later...
On 3/9/2022 at 8:19 AM, steviejay69 said:

Issues here

Windows® 11 Performance on Compatible AMD Processors | AMD (this is older)

Intermittent System Stutter Experienced with fTPM Enabled on Windows® 10 and 11 | AMD (this is newly acknowledged)

takeaway is 

• Keep Windows updated (not preview code)
  • Run AMD chipset driver rev 3.xx.xx.xxx (or OEM higher)
  • Use 'Ryzen Balanced' Windows in power management options (really don't use overclocking or tweaking utilities and expect reliability, you can have fast or right, not both 😇 )
  • You may need AMD AGESA v1.2.0.7 when it lands for your board (via UEFI/BIOS update)

@BarryBL

Gigabyte has pushed AMD AGESA v1.2.0.7 to my board this week. Yet to install. Your board may also be updated.