DIRT 5 - Chat about the game and get support here. Read more... ×
How to contact Customer Service Read more... ×

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DiRTy Forumers League

After the disappointing showing in Germany, Wales was a good ending to the season. Mostly...

Through the first 5 stages, I was competitive and quite lucky. I had a few big moments and one hilarious high speed roll that could have ended my rally, but only cost me about 3 seconds. After surviving the night stage without major problems, I was less than 30 seconds down and still in the hunt for second.

For whatever reasons, I lost a lot of time to @Dytut in SS6, so I decided to attack in the last two short stages. A host of mistakes followed, I left the road several times, had two resets and lost more than 30 seconds in each of the two stages - more than in the first 5 stages combined. So it was a pleasant surprise I could hold on to third place.

Congrats to @RyuMakkuro, @dytut and @Snaky115. Next season, I will try my best to challenge you a bit more.

Good showing there @YoMrWhite, going to look out for you next season :-) I don't remember SS6 as being particularly quick, but I must've done something right since I seem to have taken a good lead there.

Yeah, I remember I had the feeling SS6 was a good stage from me, so I was surprised to lose so much time there. Maybe it felt good because it was clean and I held back too much.

You could always try running a lower DOR instead of the "authentic" ones. Naturally each to their own, but I personally believe that being more competitive in a... well, competitive environment will provide more enjoyment than sticking to "authentic" while having to cover the rear of the table.

That's just me after all, I personally would never use anything higher than 300 DOR (that only with 037), possibly 270 DOR would be even a bit too much. I like having ability to get opposite lock rather quickly, instead of having to shuffle the steering wheel, I leave that for when I'm in the mood for it xD

There's a lot of enjoyment in trying to be competitive with "authentic" DOR aswell :-P

Dytut said:
There's a lot of enjoyment in trying to be competitive with "authentic" DOR aswell :-P
Naturally, but having someone to compete against is better than being stuck alone.

For example, if it weren't for the constant competition I have with @Snaky115 this League would've become incredibly boring for me a long time ago, since I would be miles ahead of the person behind me and then either no one ahead of me like now, or the "God-like League" like it was before, to which I had no hopes of even keeping up, let alone trying to compete with.

So if you're trying to be competitive with authentic DOR but... well, can't be, then I'd personally advise changing to a DOR that will allow you to be faster and be actually able to compete. You can always switch back to the authentic one for the career and general racing with AI.

A quick rundown of the season to point out what I mean:
Monte Carlo - I completely screwed it up, yet for some reason I was 26s of you, you were 40s ahead of @YoMrWhite who was 2 minutes ahead of @BadD0g and Snaky unfortunately retired... even though on the 7th stage he already was losing to me anyway, and he's the 2nd fastest in MC aside from me.
This means me and YoMrWhite have effectively no one to compete against there.

Sweden - Here you have no one to compete against, me and Snaky usually are close to each other due to #NoSteeringWheelM8s but he got a massive issue which led to YoMrWhite to be just 19s behind him. Others retired though BadD0g and @Evilsmurf  usually have very similar times to each other.

Conclusion: this time you and YoMrWhite had no one to race against effectively.

Greece - Usually me, you and Snaky are in dead heat here, with Snaky being on top... most of the time, but you retired while I had exceptionally consistent runs and Snaky having some issues (well, C4, nothing surprising there). Then YoMrWhite is 2 minutes behind and the rest 4 minutes behind.
Similar to Sweden, just this time only YoMrWhite had no one to race against.

Finland - Surprisingly me and you had a close battle, Snaky being unlucky this time. It is close between us three here with you having the edge due to how OP steering wheel is in Finland. Also Snaky seems to count a lot on luck here... then again so do I xD BadD0g having utterly crap run and no engineers was behind everyone. If it weren't for the completely unlucky SS8, YoMrWhite would be miles ahead of Evilsmurf... again.

Finland is the land of lady Karma, so luck here is the biggest factor but if we count it out... yeah, YoMrWhite again completely alone.

Germany - typical trio having some closer fights, but this being tarmac me and Snaky seem to have the edge here. YoMrWhite retired very early, BadD0g apparently had a better run so could be competing there if not for the retirement. Evilsmurf didn't compete at all in Germany or retired very early as well.
Hard to tell what would be what in the competition sphere if it weren't for the retirements. Most likely Germany isn't ironically YoMrWhite strong suite xD

Wales - @Dytut takes the cake unless I push and by some miracle don't screw up, otherwise I'm battling it out with Snaky as usual. YoMrWhite completely crapped the last two stages which makes it seem like they could compete with each other... but if he would keep his usual pace and amount of mistakes, there would be over 1 minutes of lead, so nothing in terms of competition. BadD0g yet again duking it out with Evilsmurf.

So... through all of the events, YoMrWhite is the only one who's left with no one to actually compete against. I'm honestly surprised he hasn't left the league at this point. Him switching it up to more competitive setup could result in there being a 4-way battle for the podium and 2-way battle for the 5th, which would be a lot more interesting than 3-way for podium (aka same faces all the time), permanent 4th place guy and then 2-way for the 5th.

Again, this is just a suggestion, but sticking to authentic setup just for the sake of being authentic and losing out on enjoying the competitive side a lot more is IMO a rather stupid thing to do. If you can and like authentic mode and can be fully competitive with it... great. But if you can't... well, then it's not a simple choice.

No, seriously. I still enjoy trying to close the gap. I wouldn't mind more competition, and of course I would like to be faster. But that's the point of it, isn't it? Sort of the way being the goal.

Two more points: Not too long ago, I was as quick as @Evilsmurf, while this season, I mostly had his numbers. Maybe he hasn't been driving much lately and was a bit rusty, maybe I have progressed. We'll see. So there is some movement in the standings.

And the second point: I use 360 degrees of rotation, so nothing really authentic. I had 200 or 270 with my old MOMO and switched to 360 degrees with the g27. It feels right for me, so I'll stay with that.

So, I'll stay in the league and have another shot at you and the others. You know Gretzkys famous quote: 100% of the shots you don't take don't go in.

I'm rusty :D outside of a few daily's and this league, I don't play much atm. And at that, I probably do more on the ps4! occasional twitch stream, daily's and another league with 3 slower people in it.

I use a G29 on the ps4 and a t500 on the pc, both set around 380 DOR, I would normally run 540, but to be competitive I lowered it. Any less than that and it just doesn't feel right, despite being faster.  

Switching between the two wheels is also a problem as despite having the same DOR on both, they are completely different wheels in feel, FFB and handling. If I was to start putting in the hours again I'd soon get back up the table, but It's getting a little stale at the moment for me.

I'll continue with the league, although probably not every event as I just don't have the motivation at the moment.   

YoMrWhite said:

No, seriously. I still enjoy trying to close the gap. I wouldn't mind more competition, and of course I would like to be faster. But that's the point of it, isn't it? Sort of the way being the goal.

Naturally, though I thought you were running DOR in the neighbourhood of 540 and up rather than 360. In this case you just need to "git gud" as the Dark Souls community tends to say xD
Evilsmurf said:

I use a G29 on the ps4 and a t500 on the pc, both set around 380 DOR, I would normally run 540, but to be competitive I lowered it. Any less than that and it just doesn't feel right, despite being faster. 

Last time I checked T500 is PS4 compatible as well. You could use it on both instead of switching from one to the other. Unless you have both bolted down so you don't have to setup them every single time, then nvm :p

I'm in this league because I know I'm not very competitive, and racing in a higher-pressure environment than the career is a better challenge and better practice for me. Of course, I'm not consistent between car classes, so that can screw things up sometimes, but I can tell I've improved a bit since I joined. When I don't make mistakes I'm definitely a bit faster than I used to be (I do make a lot of mistakes though, that's what I need to improve on most). Also, I use an Xbox 360 controller if anyone didn't know. Seems we have a few non-wheel users here.

I also compete in another league that regularly has 30 or so people run each event, there are some really fast guys that own the top, but having more people means everyone has somebody with similar pace to compete with, as you were describing. There's also a lot of people who are new to sim racing who have joined (it was started by a couple of YouTubers so it has pulled in quite a few new players), so even the bottom of the leaderboard is close together. I guess the main problem with this league is just that; there's not enough people to fill the big gaps between us.

That league has a varying schedule though. Usually it's just 4 stages per week, sometimes they mix it up with a multi-week full length rally. What I like most about this league is the 8 stage events. Long enough to feel like a proper rally, but not so long that they are daunting to complete. The service areas are fun too, they add a bit of extra challenge.

Last time I checked T500 is PS4 compatible as well. You could use it on both instead of switching from one to the other. Unless you have both bolted down so you don't have to setup them every single time, then nvm :p
The T500 is partially compatible with the ps4, you need to navigate the UI with a pad. It's also bolted to my Obutto Ozone sim rig. My G29 is clamped to an old pc desk in another room connected to the ps4.

Since you have both wheels to compare, is the FFB of the G29 noticably 'grittier' feeling than the T500? When I tested a G29 the rough feeling really put me off, especially in circuit racing games. I imagine the belt drive is much smoother?

The difference is night and day between the two wheels, but so is the price! The T500 is a better wheel in every department. The FFB is very smooth compared to the G29 but for the price, the G29/27/25 is unmatched in it's price range.

T300 is matching the G29 pretty well in it's price range, beltdriven and smooth. Lacks a clutch pedal so you need to get a new pedal set if you want to go for H-shifter though :-/ But the wheel itself is real good.

Dytut said:
T300 is matching the G29 pretty well in it's price range, beltdriven and smooth. Lacks a clutch pedal so you need to get a new pedal set if you want to go for H-shifter though :-/ But the wheel itself is real good.
Yep, that's pretty much it, especially given that T300 is basically known as the best base Thrustmaster has in the offer now, which naturally means that T500 is "worse".
Also, given how moddable the T300 base is... you can do pretty much everything with it, unlike with G29 which isn't happy about modded at all.

Except the T300 cost £100 more than a G29, hardly in the same price bracket.

The t150 is more a comparison in price to the g29, but the t150 is crap.

Thrustmaster also has a new wheel in development that will most likely ship around the same time as GT sport, it's rumoured to be a direct drive wheel. Depending on price, it might be a replacement for my G29.

Don't want to get rid of my T500 and as someone who uses a t500 and has used a t300, I wouldn't say it's "worse". The T500 has more power, better pedal set and static gear shifters (a big plus for me) the t300 is less powerful but has slightly better detail in the FFB. But seeing as I switch all the FFB options off apart from SAT, that makes no difference to me.

At the end of the day the choice is down to budget and what you personally want from your wheel. There is no "best" option.

Oh, didn't know the T300 was that much more expensive. In Sweden they're both the same price, both at about 270€.

Evilsmurf said:

Except the T300 cost £100 more than a G29, hardly in the same price bracket.

Well, it's in the same price bracket in general, just apparently not in UK (and it doesn't even cost 50£ more according to amazon.co.uk). But in majority of Europe and in US as well, both are at about the same price (when you exclude the sales naturally). T150 is miles less expensive than G29.

On Amazon.de, G29 without a sale costs as much as the T300RS Intergal Alcantara Ferrari edition (the one with epic rim, and proper pedal set). If you include the sale there, it's still 40€ more than standard T300RS without sale.

So it all depends on the current pricing/sales, but from the retail prices, they are aimed at exactly the same price bracket.

Back to league affairs: It seems as everybody likes the format and wants to go on. So, @RyuMakkuro, shall we vote for next season? What themes do you have in stock for us?

At the start, I'll be honest, it's kind of hard writing those things when you're not only participating, but actually the winner. If someone else would want to write here the summary of the season, please do so. But this still being my job, here we go.
On the halfway point it was the usual trio fighting for the win, but after Finland it was me securing the victory and @Dytut and @Snaky115 fighting for the 2nd place, which could be as much down to the skill of the drivers as to the mood of the C4 itself since both of them had retired events xD In any case, I fully admit that my victory was in 99% due to the car. Focus is OP and that's that. This season however the second half of the standings was a bit more spread out compared to the last season. While the fight on the stages itself was tight between @BadD0g and @Evilsmurf , @YoMrWhite was sitting on the "worst position" as the 4th place is often called very securely.

Ryu Makkuro 136
2Arete 101
3Snaky115 76
4Daryl Willcox 67
5[Bad D0g] 54
6Evilsmurf 34

Theme for this season are as follows:
- "Shaken, not smoken"
- Back to school

After we run those two, I have a one special in mind (I'm already killing myself for it) and after that... well, without giving too much out, let's say it will be a bit easier to come up with themes for me xD

Back to school seems rather apt for me :D                                         

Back to school for me, too.

Thanks for the wheel info, guys. I'm not sure where you're located, @Evilsmurf, but in the US the T300 and G29 are usually around the same price, but they fluctuate a LOT for whatever reason.

I picked up my G29 for £120 new. At the time, that was £30 less than a t150 and £180 less than a t300.

I still can't get a new t300 for less than £210 in the uk. Not that I would anyway, waiting to see a price on Thrustmasters new wheel later this year ;)